WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Hints and Tips/Questions about modeling

Large-Scale Display Options?

<< < (2/2)

Nigttr:
If you can get them, the IKEA units referred to above are called Detolf. They have around 40x40cm internal space and can fit a 1/32 DH9. I was lucky and managed to get 5 units, and have doubled the number of shelves in them. Should keep me going for a while!

Davos522:
Nigel, PJ, Sandy, and Nigel, thank you all for the ideas, they've given me a lot to think about. As a former cabinetmaker I might well end up building something that incorporates elements of all of them... but whatever eventual solution I end up going with it needs to have a footprint big enough to park the AEG in when it eventually gets done (so at least 12x24"). 

Neither of the IKEA units seem to be available here in the States, looking at their website they offer open shelving only. They've apparently rolled back their presence here; there used to be several stores within an hour's drive, but the nearest one now is about 75 miles away. Too bad, as in a lot of cases I couldn't even have bought the materials for what they were charging for the finished pieces.

Thanks again all!

Dutch

KiwiZac:
I'm very familiar with the Detolf case thanks to another hobby of mine, collecting Transformers toys, as they are very popular in that fandom because of their size and versatility.

I have my eye on a few not-Ikea enclosed shelves from Kiwi shops, but on a student income it's a job for later.

Davos522:
I've been looking for something similar up here, but there seems to be a void now that IKEA has downsized their US presence. My wife and I live in an 1850s farmhouse, which at some point got a really nice built-in corner china-cabinet, which is where my wife keeps her grandmother's set of Wedgewood. She walked past as I was eyeing it the other day, and simply said "No."

Dutch

lcarroll:
    Mind readers, aren't they Dutch?! My "Good Wife" took possession of my "model room" while I was putting the finishing touches on it shortly after we moved in here and I finished the lower level some 26 years ago, and it's been referred to as the "quilt room" since then. There was never any debate; like your experience she simply said "perfect!" and asked if I could please build her a pattern and cutting table. I quickly stated that we could always use one of those and started making saw dust! My model room is now the "nook" in the old roll top I use as a model bench but at least the tiny room it's in is MINE, all MINE! (or so I tell anyone who'll listen to my whining)  Meanwhile our respective Mother's Royal Albert china collections reside in what was going to be my liquor cabinet so at least the quilts didn't make it there. Win some, lose some is a fair concept I suppose .......

Cheers,
Lance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version