Author Topic: DSPIAE Sanding Pen  (Read 2750 times)

Offline gedmundson

DSPIAE Sanding Pen
« on: April 01, 2023, 08:24:46 AM »
Not seen this mentioned here, but I've just had a chance to try out a new tool after ordering it from Maple Airbrush Supplies in Edmonton, Alberta. For years I've tried to use a Dremel Moto-Tool 395 for grinding plastic and resin parts. The speed and power of it, not to mention the weight, was a bit tricky and one small slip could result in major damage to model and/or fingers.

This small "Sanding Pen" by DSPIAE is a wonderful tool for such delicate work. I've tried it on resin and plastic figures just now, and the gentle control offered is just what I was looking for. Re-chargeable and light weight, I wished I had this tool for the last few years. The photo shows the tool with a set of grinding bit which I bought separately.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Berman

« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 09:16:17 PM by Berman »

Offline RichieW

Re: DSPIAE Sanding Pen
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 08:15:00 PM »
This looks perfect, I've wanted something like this for ages. Thanks for the heads up, I will order one immediately and that neat kittle chuck Berman recommended.

Richie

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 08:44:05 PM »
Gary,

What a star, I’ve been looking for a drill that can rotate at really low speeds forever, the usual suspects melt the plastic.

Just bought one from the Scale Model Shop in the UK  ;)

I got the adapter shank from Amazon in the UK too.

Thanks!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 06:09:16 PM »
This tool is on the number 1 position on my wish list.

Thanks for posting this Gary.

Willem

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 07:35:52 PM »
Hi this looks great- would it be good for sink marks? Thanks
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 10:47:44 PM »
Here in Austria there has been a decision made that Alixepress can not send to Austria unless there is an appointed agent to handle the packages. (that's not going to happen as Alliexpress dealers often aren't huge concerns) This is probably EU. illegal. Bloody bureacracy here in Austria is chronic and they really don't like free trade and do like to invent jobs that make money with without producing anything, The brits do that quite well too with the Fines for everything or post slapping on excess charges for no good reason. Rant over but still well Pi**ed off!!
Cheers
Andrew

Offline IanB

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 11:52:17 PM »
Andrew, open a Shop and Ship account. The seller will mail it to the depot in England and the courrier will deliver to you, just as Amazon or DHL will do. They will also collect any duties or taxes due.

Ian

Offline WD

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 12:00:41 AM »
OK, I tried to find a DSPIAE sanding pen, and came up empty handed. HOWEVER, it is listed on the DSPIAE site as a "sharpening pen".  ;D  They've got it listed as a sharpening pen, but label it as a sanding pen. Crafty fellows, very trixie Hobbitses.

I've got a low-speed Dremel which I love, but I'd like something smaller, and this is it.

Thanks for making me/us aware Gary, and thanks to Berman for posting that chuck too.

Warren

PS: I've found that while most DSPIAE products are expensive, they are worth it. You get what you pay for. Your madness may vary.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 12:10:37 AM by WD »

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 02:49:57 AM »
Andrew, open a Shop and Ship account. The seller will mail it to the depot in England and the courrier will deliver to you, just as Amazon or DHL will do. They will also collect any duties or taxes due.

Ian

Hi Ian
Thanks for that but it seems they don't ship to Austria. Some of the other forwarding companies seem to have appalling feedback ratings. I'll keep looking but I think it's down to family ysending it on from blighty and paying double customs!!
Cheers
Andrew

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 11:10:14 PM »
Very cool Gary. Good find. A quick use tool like this does trump my dremel/flex etc.

Steve

Offline WD

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2023, 11:01:18 PM »
I ordered one too, looking forward to it.

Thanks for the heads up on this Gary!

Warren

Online Borsos

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2023, 11:33:00 PM »
Found one on eBay and I am watching it. I‘ll order one if you all write here how amazing and indispensable it is in practice and that you use it every day  :)
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 11:54:21 PM »
Mine just arrived,

I have to say I’m very impressed, the quality is right up there and it’s very slim and easy to handle. 3 speed settings and very quiet, perfect for drilling those rigging holes without melting the plastic!

Thumbs up from me.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline RichieW

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 01:44:27 AM »
Got mine today too and have used it to make a piece from styrene. It's fantastic, the supplied grinding head is a little fierce for styrene but with care it works really well. Have also tried it on tough acetate, basswood and sprue with good results. Thanks for a great recommendation Gary. It's just what I was looking for.

Richie