Author Topic: 1/48 Smer SE5a  (Read 8629 times)

Offline TobyCoulson

1/48 Smer SE5a
« on: November 28, 2015, 08:51:39 PM »
It's been a long time since I was last here and that kit didn't end very well. Still on the shelf of shame ::)
I've decided to spend the rest of this year and next mostly concentrating on bipes and I've decided wisely or not to start with the Smer SE5a which I gather  vaguely resembles an SE5a. Initial impressions are not good as a certain Mr Gordon has had a major hand in the moulding.

For some reason Smer have put outlines of decals on the top wing so that'll be my first port of call once the flash has been removed.

Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1/48 Smer SE5a
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 12:59:31 AM »
If I am not mistaken the Smer kit is a re mold of the old Aurora 1950s version of the SE5a. The molded on roundels appeared on many kits at that time. Markers so we could align the roundel decals ! I am looking forward to seeing your work on this one! Thanks for coming back to the fold!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 01:21:33 AM »
Same here!  I like this kit and made 3,000 of them as a lad.  It should turn out nice!

P.S.  I love the look on Terry Thomas' face!!!!   ;)

Dan

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 02:24:46 AM »
Welcome back, Toby.  Looking forward to seeing this one come together.  I always love a good SE5a.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 02:34:41 AM »
Thanks all. It's good to be back. Anyone recommend a way of replacing the surfacer ribbing now that I've sanded the wings down to remove the offending moulds. I was toying with the idea of running some fishing line through glue and then placing them where the ribbing used to be under the wings. The top side is not really a problem.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 02:41:10 AM »
Hello Toby
It is a terrible shame but I cannot see the pictures you posted because my computer will not let me. I love the US decal option you get with the Smer kit, I did build what I thought was a good looking effort from this kit until some idiot knocked it off the shelf and accidently trod on it. If I remember rightly I made the engine bits that poke out the sides smaller, thinned down the struts as mentioned earlier removed those awful cast in roundels. Being lazy I stuck a pilot in so I would not need to detail the interior.
Best of luck
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 02:46:27 AM »
Hi Toby

Sorry our posts crossed as I posted mine after your last one.

I have used masking tape cut in thin strips, then put thick layers of paint over to re create the scalloped effect

Also sticky backed metal foil works well. Two or three layers on the top and one on the underside. Once again put layers of paint over it. The beauty of metal foil is that it can be sanded.

Finally 0.25mm plastic card cut into strips, sanded down if necessary and once again painted over.

Hope this helps.

Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 03:56:10 AM »
Following Alan's advice I've used small strips of masking tape to replace the sanded away ribbing. I'll spray over and then seen how they look and if needs be I'll add some more.

Also I will need to fine sand the fuselage and tail but most of the heavy lifting so to speak is done. :D

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 05:16:22 AM »
It's probably too delicate for 1/48, but for my 1/72 builds I use somewhat thicker decal strips. Those old Dragon, Hasegawa or Tamiya decals are great for that.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 05:39:31 AM »
Welcome back Toby, great to see you doing this build, what you have done so far is looking very good.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 08:15:49 PM »
I did some more sanding last night and unfortunately dislodged some of  the masking tape ribbing so I thought I'd experiment with a different method after all I'm using this kit on a trial and error basis so not too fussed it it goes belly up as I can revery to the masking tape method. I decided to use elastic sewing thread and wiped a thin amount of CA glue to attach it to the wing.

Offline radio

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 04:45:28 AM »
Nice update.
Cheers
Martin

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 06:28:08 AM »
It doesn't really matter what method you use as long as it works for you, what you have done so far is looking really good.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »
My experiment has been a moderate success but next time I'll use  monofilament fly leader as that'll stick better.
I painted on the interior wood  using Vallejo natural wood as the undercoat with a top coat of the natural woodgrain.
As it won't be that visible I'm not overly worried if it is a bit rough.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 01:09:53 AM »
  Toby,
Fantastic progress to date my old friend. I'm looking forward to seeing you turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"