Author Topic: Plans  (Read 1746 times)

Offline jknaus

Plans
« on: January 09, 2015, 12:10:42 PM »
Okay this might have been discussed but I'm not seeing it. Where do you look for good plans to scratch build an a/c? Even though my skills are decreasing I get amazed by the scratchbuilding I see and want to try something. I recently got a book which has opened my eyes to so many possabilities and have an aircraft in mind to maybe attempt. I had been blissfully unaware of how long helicopters had been flying and when I saw the PKZ 2 it just grabbed my attention. Finding drawings that could be converted seem to defy my attemppts at locating though. So where do you guys and gals find your drawings?
James

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Plans
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 01:01:40 PM »
This is the main issue I have when doing my scratch builds. I first try to source decent plans or drawings, just something to use as a starting point so I can use my computer drawing program to scale them to 1:32 scale (I only build in 1:32). I have given up on so many scratch builds due to a lack of plans or drawings, even good quality photos can be usefeul when doing scale drawings. I find most of my information on the net, just a matter of spending countless hours searching different sites, eventually something will crop up which will prove to be sufficient, it takes time to check link after link after link with most leading nowhere but the odd ones do show some light. I have tried to contact museums where original examples of the machines sit, but the majority of museums will not offer any type of assistance, many of them don't even answer my emails.

With my latest scratch build, the Curtiss Hydroaeroplane I was extremely fortunate to find and purchase a great book with a full history and excellent plans and drawings, this has certainly made my job a lot easier. Keeping a look-out for new publications on these early aircraft will also prove very fruitful sometimes.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Mossie

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 05:46:38 PM »
It is always worth asking here for information.
I have collected over the years a wide range of books, magazines, drawings and photos of many WWI aircraft, so just ask, I may have something to help.
Gerry "Mossie" Mos

Mossie3DCAD
"Prompt & Precise"

https://www.facebook.com/gerry.mos.9

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »
Regarding the PKZ 2 -- I am sure I have seen three view drawings of somewhere....

I thing Roden makes a 1/72 kit...

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 11:19:28 PM »
Regarding the PKZ 2 -- I am sure I have seen three view drawings of somewhere....

I thing Roden makes a 1/72 kit...

Roden does, I built it...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 12:38:43 AM »
A starting point might be with the following book James, available to you somewhat locally in Edmonton.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13726390703&searchurl=tn%3DScale+Aircraft+Drawings%3A+World+War+I%26sts%3Dt

I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I can weigh in on the overall accuracy of the plans in the book, but for my purposes, I find it quite useful.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 02:30:41 AM »
Well, there's always this...
http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/pkz-2-16-p.asp
Cheers,
Bud

psssst!  this is always the first place i look.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 04:50:20 AM »
Hello James
I agree with Bud on the Datafile front and also Des as far as other research. After checking if there is a datafile/special or Windsock Worldwide covering it for simplicity I just Google Image the subject and low and behold there nearly always is at least one plan along with loads of pictures, here's what I got with the helecopter http://1.air_war.sweb.cz/pkz/pkz2v.jpg When I have made my mind up to build I hammer the internet for pictures, info and other peoples' builds. It is also worth noting that if any site you hit is in a foreign language copy and paste their name/definition of the subject and hit the search button on that too. You can never get too much information on a subject, only too little.
Good luck, Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline jknaus

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 04:53:20 AM »
Thanks everyone. I spend a lot of time surfing the net at the expense of modeling. But finding drawings of obscure a/c never seems to pan out. Will keep looking. I have those plans books for  WWII and Cold War a/c, will look at the WWI books. Thanks for the heads up. And thanks for the link for the Windsock data files book. Will have to do another order soon I guess. The exchange rate really sucks now though, so have to be picky. Okay so 2 books and some more searching to do :)
James

Oh and thanks Bo but 1/72 is way to small for me. 1/32 is hard enough lol. Wonder if MPH might do one??