Author Topic: Re: Squiffy's Kites: RAF F.E2b night bomber,58 Squadron. 1/72 scale  (Read 25432 times)

Offline TobyCoulson

Re: Squiffy's Kites: Nie 17 2nd Lt. Keith Caldwell, 60 Sqn. RFC
« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2016, 12:38:21 AM »
Outstanding work. Great dioramas and I've just seen the RE8. Can't believe it's the venerable Airfix kit that I think dates back to just after the end of WW1  :)
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Re: Squiffy's Kites: RAF F.E2b night bomber,58 Squadron. 1/72 scale
« Reply #271 on: January 11, 2016, 03:01:19 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Toby and Stephen.

I have to say that I'm rather pleased with this next one. It's not perfect but when I began it I wasn't at all sure that I could pull it off at all as this isn't built from a kit.

A6526 is the serial number of the F.E2b that is currently in the RAF Museum at Hendon. I've painted my model in the same colours as far as I can tell. As A6526 is currently suspended from the roof in the Graham White factory it is impossible to see what colour the top side of the upper plane is and of the dozens of photographs of this aircraft on the interweb I cannot find one that shows the top. So I've gone with PC10, as shown on the WNW site on the options given for their night bomber versions.

Showing the underside of the model. This is the same view you get of the real thing in the museum.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #272 on: January 11, 2016, 03:54:32 AM »
Well done Squiffy. The Fee is a popular machine but not easy to model in 1/72 scale as I know from experience of a conversion. You have done a really super job on this one - it really looks like the example at Hendon. The bombs and that lewis gun are most impressive and I see that you have included the Holt flare holders and other fine details. The figures with the bomb and chock are also excellent - really good poses. A real tribute to your modelling skills.

What's next? A Vickers FB 5 Gunbus? Or an FE 8? Or….

Stephen.

Offline IanB

« Reply #273 on: January 11, 2016, 04:33:17 AM »
Very nicely done Squiffy! I love that last pic too, very atmospheric!

Ian

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #274 on: January 11, 2016, 04:40:02 AM »
Thanks, Ian and Stephen. Coming from two great exponents of 72nd scale modelling, your encouraging comments mean a lot to me.
This is the most difficult build I have done to date.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #275 on: January 11, 2016, 05:43:58 AM »
  "This is the most difficult build I have done to date."
No doubt, Squiffy. The "Fee" is a tough build in any scale and 1:72 is something I'd avoid like a plague. You've done a wonderful job on her, great work! I too really like the final photo, looks like a theme photo for "One Spring in Picardy".
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #276 on: January 11, 2016, 07:19:41 AM »
Congratulations Squiffy on completing this brilliant model, all aspects of this model are extremely well done and the addition of the figures adds that finishing touch. Your photography is very well done and shows the model in excellent detail, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com