Author Topic: Roland C.II - A scratchbuild in 1/144 scale  (Read 87 times)

Online MR Bentley

• My Instagram feed
Roland C.II - A scratchbuild in 1/144 scale
« on: May 06, 2024, 03:23:07 PM »
As my half of the 1/144th scale buddy build with William Adair, I will be scratchbuilding a Roland C.II (early). The Roland is one of my favorite WW1 airplanes and I built the WnW model a few years ago, which means I already have loads of reference. I also chose the Roland because of its lack of struts. I figured that sine this is my first scratchbuild, avoiding fiddling around with tons of struts was a good idea. I've only ever built a handful of 1/144th scale models, so this build will be a good challenge.

This buddy build is to promote Williams' book. He and I met when we were each given the opportunity to write a book on WW1 modelling. Williams book is titled First World War Aircraft In Scale - Scratchbuilding in 1/144th scale and is already available to preorder. My book is titled First World War Aircraft In scale - The Pfalz D.III and D.IIIa and is still a WIP.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 03:31:52 PM by MR Bentley »

Online MR Bentley

• My Instagram feed
Re: Roland C.II - A scratchbuild in 1/144 scale
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 03:59:57 PM »
Unlike Williams Taube, my build (thankfully) started quite smoothly. The first step was to piece together a set of scale plans using profiles from both the Windsock Datafile and Roland Aircraft of WW1 books, pictured here with the customary coin for scale. The plans pictured are actually for a late-production C.IIa which I hope to build when the C.II is finished.

The building started with the fuselage. I glued six layers of 0.5mm styrene together with the profile on top to guide the rough cutting. At the tail, the innermost layer is 0.25 styrene, rather than 0.5. This is because I wanted to leave a slot for the vertical stabilizer later on.

An hour or so had the starboard half roughly shaped

One the exterior was roughed in, I began gouging and carving out the interior and windows.

After a few hours of work, the halves were mostly complete. There is still a little shaping work left to be done around the nose, but I will wait to do that once the fuselage is glued together.

For the next Roland, I will definitely get either a solid block of styrene to carve or at least use thicker sheets to avoid splitting the layers apart during the carving stages.

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 05:56:34 PM »
You 1/144 scratch building guys are nuts  ;)

Im very impressed with your skills! Looks great already!
//Ben

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 06:06:30 PM »
Beautiful!

Offline NigelR

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 06:42:48 PM »
More tiny scale madness! And more amazing modelling skills.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 10:10:48 PM »
Nice one Max, this is great to see!   ;D
I love the Roland C.II and have such fond memories of the Airfix kit.  Looking forward to seeing it progress!

Online DaddyO

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 10:27:08 PM »
Wowzer. That's great progress - it's looking like a Roland already :D

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline ondra

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 11:01:34 PM »
Great, another WWI scratchbuilding project! Very nice so far, I will be following with great interest!

Cheers.

Ondra

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:12:16 AM »
Another 1/144th crazy man - welcome, you'll fit right in here!
Great start.
Sandy