Author Topic: Cutting Masks  (Read 5922 times)

WarrenD

Cutting Masks
« on: December 29, 2014, 05:18:31 AM »
All,
     Michel showed us just how great painted on markings were in his WNW Roland buid thread down below. He's used a Silhouette machine and Oramask paper.
Has anyone else done this? My primary interest is in 1/72nd, and I've got some kits (Eduard's Nie. 17 springs to mind) that have great decals, but the colors don't quite strike me as right. (No accounting for taste, I know.) Any-who, I figured if I could get some roundel sizes mapped out, I could cut masks for my roundels till the cows come home, Yes, I know an industrious man could do this with an Olfa cutter and various diameters of brass tube, but the lazy man in me just wants the convenience of having the same size maks spitting out of a machine.

Thoughts? Experience with doing this?

Warren

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Cutting Masks
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:31:17 AM »
All,
     Michel showed us just how great painted on markings were in his WNW Roland buid thread down below. He's used a Silhouette machine and Oramask paper.
Has anyone else done this? My primary interest is in 1/72nd, and I've got some kits (Eduard's Nie. 17 springs to mind) that have great decals, but the colors don't quite strike me as right. (No accounting for taste, I know.) Any-who, I figured if I could get some roundel sizes mapped out, I could cut masks for my roundels till the cows come home, Yes, I know an industrious man could do this with an Olfa cutter and various diameters of brass tube, but the lazy man in me just wants the convenience of having the same size maks spitting out of a machine.

Thoughts? Experience with doing this?

Warren

Yes, lots of us are doing this. :)

If you check out my Albatros and/or Fokker build logs I show all sorts of things I do with my Silver Bullet (which is like a Silhouette on steroids). Masks are only one thing - mine cuts plastic and even sheet metal.

Don't know the specs on the Silhouette, but the resolution on the SB is certainly good enough to do national markings etc in /72.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:54:41 AM by Bo »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:39:05 AM »
Backing sheet from . . . . ?

My apologies to Michel and other list members for taking Michel's wonderful build thread off topic. I'll start a new thread for this so as not to disrupt.

Warren

Moved from Michel's topic :)

You attach the workpiece (paper, plastic, vinyl, metal) to the cutting table with dots of adhesive that come in large sheets, which you cut to size as needed. You are left with wonderful piles of backing paper that tape will just stick to.

I'll make pictures for you of the whole process if you are interested.

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:57:45 AM »
Bo, yes, I'm interested. About how much does the Silver Bullet run?

Warren

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 06:06:02 AM »
A few examples --I'll do a step by step a bit later (after the big game;) )

Tiny parts scribed onto brass sheet for cutting

Metal cowling panels cut out of beer can aluminum with SB

Masks from kabuki tape:

Paper masks:

Texture decals cut to fit panels on Albatros wings and tail:

Cutting plastic:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:10:03 AM by Bo »

Offline gcn

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 06:31:46 AM »

WarrenD

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »
Thanks GCN!
'
Warren

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 02:47:58 AM »
Here is a link to a feature comparison chart of many cutters on the market today. Note that the chart appears on Silver Bullet's site, so take that into consideration if you wish, but I believe it is compiled by an independent source based on the disclaimer at the bottom of the page. I've seen the same chart elsewhere but I can't find a link at the moment.

http://silverbulletcutters.com/comparison-chart/

The SB 13" is the machine I have. It is probably the most expensive machine of it's size; the reviews said you get what you pay for, and I was especially drawn to the massive force the SB can exert -- I had cutting (thin) sheet metal in mind from day 1. Also factoring into my decision was the fact that the other highly rated higher end machine in this size class -- the KNK Maxx 15" -- was backordered about 3 months at the time. The fact that the SB is made in the USA didn't hurt either.

Here is a review of the SB 13"; it conforms with my experience:

http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/silver-bullet-review.html

I have no axe to grind against any of the other machines, and if you are just interested in cutting masks, I think many of the entry level products will do the job and then some.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 04:01:21 AM »
Wow! My brain just went into warp-drive looking at what Bo has created and thinking of the applications to my model building and my "real job". Holy Moly. The possibilities.

I'm afraid the Silver Bullet is out of my price range at the moment.

The Portrait is available on eBay for as low as $125.00.

Hmmmmm.......

Warren, thanks for starting this thread and thanks Bo for all the info.

Michael

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 07:31:04 AM »
As promised, a step by step making masks on a die cutting machine with Tamiya "kabuki" tape.

The machine comes with a cutting matt with a renewable adhesive surface. In most cases you apply your work material to the adhesive matt and shove it into the machine. And you can do this with tape, too, but getting it up from the matt without ruining is going to be difficult. The solution is to tape a piece of the backing paper that comes with the adhesive refills to the matt (the backing paper won't stick to the adhesive on the matt on either side.)

Now you place the tamiya tape onto the backing, and insert the whole shebang into the machine. You line up the head with the lower right hand corner of the tape, using the controls on the cutter, and lock that in as the 0,0 point.

On the Bullet only a very light cutting force of 15 (it goes up to 255, which = 1250 grams) is required for kabuki tape. Force and speed can be set with controls on the cutter or via software.

You can design your work in just about anything that can save .svg files. The software that comes with your machine will allow you to create designs, too. I do all my design work in Adobe Illustrator, albeit an ancient version; it is extremely precise and powerful. The first step is to set up a document size that represents the cutable area -- in this case about 1.5 inches tall x 7 inches wide. Here I am making some Spade masks for my Fokker:

The next step is to fire up the software that comes with the machine -- in this case "Sure Cuts A Lots" aka SCAL. The file is imported and positioned on the virtual cutting table. There are various ways you can set the registration between the virtual cutting table and the workpiece; the easiest way is to set 0.0 on the machine as I did earlier and let the software work relative to that. So -- the picture on the screen doesn't match where the work is actually taped to the cutting table...

Next -- you hit "cut" and adjust a few things like the number of passes and blade offset.

Light stuff like Kabuki tape does not require multiple passes. In a few seconds your design is cut out.

You can't see them, but there are 3 more perfect little spade masks cut on the tape. Gently lift them up and apply...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:01:53 AM by Bo »

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 08:55:42 AM »
Bo,
     Thanks so much for all of this information, it is MUCH appreciated sir! I just wanted to cut some masks for painting national insignia, etc, but WOW!  Like Michael, my head is spinning just thinking of the possibilities you have pointed out.

Michael, I'm glad I started it too!

Warren

Offline gcn

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
Couple more threads showing their use

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/1925-wnw-dviif-wilhelm-hipperts-mimmi/

http://www.modellbaufreunde.net/news/229-schneidplotter-fuer-modellbauer.html

The second link needs to be put through a translator unless your German is up to scratch.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
Thanks very much Bo for your informative tutorial, I'm learning more and more about these machines every day.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 06:12:59 AM »
OK.....I am not usually a knee jerk response kinda guy but......well....my Silhouette cutter just arrived!! (Talk about fast service!)

Wish me luck...techno is definitely not my thing......but I can learn.

Happy New Year from NYC,
Michael

WarrenD

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 08:05:19 AM »
Good deal!  Whatcha gonna cut first?

Warren