Author Topic: 1/72 KP Ago C.IV  (Read 577 times)

Offline Rip Van Winkle

1/72 KP Ago C.IV
« on: April 12, 2024, 10:09:19 AM »
   This was a more difficult build than it should have been mainly because of the lack of a Datafile or other reference material. There was some variation of this aircraft based on which manufacturer built it.  This may not be completely accurate but was close enough for me.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 11:16:23 AM by Rip Van Winkle »

Offline Rip Van Winkle

Re: 1/72 KP Ago C.IV
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 10:18:13 AM »
   The wings have a rough finish. Gently sand these so that your decals will settle.  Mine silvered a little bit.  Also I  removed the bumps on the top wings and added the wing spars with plastic  card into pre carved slots. I estimated about 1mm space between  the top wing.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 10:27:32 AM »
       The wing  strut attachment slots on my model were ill defined so that meant I had to adjust the struts later on in the build. The key was to know that the inter wing distance in this scale was about 1 inch. When I set the cabane struts it seemed too high. I cut down the cabane struts until I got the desired height. I was able to set the top wing with the front cabane and the two inner inter wing struts. The rear cabane had to be scratch built.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 10:34:07 AM »
   Those changes affected the engine exhaust placement. I could have broken the last two exhaust legs and had them go around the cabane strut. This was done on some actual aircraft but I was too late in the build when I realized this.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 11:18:38 AM by Rip Van Winkle »

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 10:47:26 AM »
     The outer struts were then placed after adjusting them to the correct inter wing height. This was a bit tricky. Lots of sanding and touchup. The rest of the build was uneventful. Rigging was with .004 stainless steel wire. This aircraft has some double flying wires.  The rigging was an estimated guess based on photos. Colors were Tamiya XF 53 Neutral Grey and Vallejo underside blue. The forward machine gun was from a Pfalz D.III and the Parabellum was a Gas Patch item. The decals had a bit of carrier film and the AGO logo decal disintegrated so it is not present.  I hope this helps  with others who attempt this kit.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 11:19:48 AM by Rip Van Winkle »

Offline Davos522

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 11:17:14 AM »
What an unusual planform...  despite sixty years' experience of looking at WWI aeroplanes, I have to admit this is a new one on me. You did a great job on it, Jim, especially given the problems you mention. Love that color scheme...

Dutch

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 11:25:35 AM »
 Thankyou for the nice comment.  I will build another one in the future knowing the pitfalls ahead of time. 

Online DaddyO

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 04:09:03 PM »
I picked up the KP kit as soon as it appeared because of the unusual planform, but haven't yet got around to it so your build notes are helpful RvW (even if not unexpected given I've built a couple of KP's kits now and am no longer surprised by rough casting, poor decals etc.) ::)

Yours turned out nicely and is certainly a different shape.
Apparently there were two inboard struts originally, but I understand one was removed to increase the field of fire for the rear gun (which explains the unusual strut arrangement)

Nice job
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline NigelR

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 07:25:58 PM »
You did a great job on this one, looks like it needed a fair bit of work. Great rsearch and modelling!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 06:52:46 AM »
A new one to me too. The wing planform is unusual but it make an interesting model.

Stephen.

Offline WD

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2024, 11:02:24 PM »
You did great work on what looks like a difficult build.

Warren

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2024, 07:53:54 PM »
Hi Rip - I love this build! Great work! Your finished model captures the essence of this strange looking little biplane.

Well done my friend!

Cheers,

BC

Offline djuggie

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 08:14:24 AM »
Rip,
Very nice model.  It is so good to see a crude and poorly documented model come together as nice your build.  Excellent work.

Dennis

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2024, 01:41:38 AM »
Excellent results! Lovely build all around.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler