Author Topic: Roden Spad XIIIc 1/32  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Softscience

Roden Spad XIIIc 1/32
« on: April 08, 2024, 01:21:25 PM »
I was so excited when I recently learned that Roden is still releasing  Great War models, I had to grab one. I know Roden kits require a bit more TLC, and I've had a few end in failure, but I'm happy.to support any manufacturer who caters to this niche. Doubly so for Roden, considering what their employees and their families are enduring now.

So without further ado. The Spad XIIIc.
I will skip over the background spiel and showing sprue photos. You e all seen them. If Roden's decals behave, I'll probably build an AEF Machine. But I'll poke around to see what other options might exist.

I started with the wing. The separate tips were a surprise. They don't fit especially well, but it could be worse. The break is right on a rib, so it should be easier to fill and shape the ridge,  rather than if it was someplace in the middle of the trough.

A mess of CA and talc

And cleaned up. Not so bad.

Underside may be slightly trickier. Tamiya putty applied here.

To Roden's credit, at least the wing chord and thickness are pretty close.

Offline NigelR

Re: Roden Spad XIIIc 1/32
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 07:08:07 PM »
Good start, and I'm looking forward to seeing this one built up.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 12:03:31 AM »
One of my earliest modeling memories is the Revell 1:28 SPAD XIII that my big brother got for his birthday when I was about five, so I have a special place in my heart for large-scale kits of Société machines. I’ll be following this thread, you’re off to a promising start!

Dutch

Offline Softscience

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 01:33:07 PM »
Day two of farting around with wings. The seams are filled but the rib at this location looks notably different. This is after considerable reshaping. I just can't get them to look the same.

I realize some of this is my OCD, but this kind of abrupt difference is visually annoying to me. I should have fettled more before gluing.  It I'm also not sure it would have done much good.

Offline Edo

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 02:32:46 PM »
quite instructive!
following closely

ciao
edo

Offline NigelR

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 06:10:55 PM »
I am obsessive with detail but it's quite hard to see the difference. Unless this was a build to win gold at a prestigious competition, I would be happy with that!

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 01:27:05 AM »
Is it absolutely perfect? No, but I think it looks fine from here. And this is coming a guy who constantly messes with his kit till he messes it up.

Warren

Offline Softscience

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 01:58:12 AM »
this is coming a guy who constantly messes with his kit till he messes it up.

Warren

Hey, that's me!  ;D

I have to be thoroughly down the wrong path to be convinced that I'm indeed on it.  :D

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 04:18:11 AM »
Those joints look fine to me: I would leave them well alone and save my time for other parts where the efoort is more necessary. I think that a blind man would like to see them.

Stephen.

Offline WD

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 09:09:09 AM »
What Stephen said.

Warren

Offline Softscience

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 01:15:56 PM »
I think you all are right. The minor irregularities in the wing ribbing isn't as obvious as my initial concern implied. Tonight was exciting because I actually began to glue pieces together.
I got the metal parts of the cockpit together. Some wood parts were glued together as well, but aren't pictured.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2024, 07:26:48 PM »
It's great when things start to come together!Keep going, this is good progress.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2024, 06:50:21 AM »
I agree with Nigel- you are making excellent progress. A first class model is in the making.

Stephen.

Offline WD

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2024, 10:41:36 PM »
Looking great!

Warren

Offline Softscience

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2024, 03:37:38 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, guys

Here we go with a major update on the Spad. The cockpit is about 50% finished. Next I'll add the seat and upper decking, then the top fuselage. I'll need some spreader bars in between the sides to match the outline of the top, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.