Author Topic: I do build models, honestly!  (Read 4382 times)

Offline miecio52

Re: I do build models, honestly!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »
Beautiful work :)
Regards
 Mietek
 IPMS Poland / Silesia

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »
the comments are entirely positive, encouraging and constructive. That's how we know we're in the right place.

I agree 1000% with this comment.

Thanks to all of you who write such positive and encouraging remarks to those of us who still get the wobbles when we post pictures of our work.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »
Absolutely no need for any trepidation in posting your models Nigel. They're all extremely well done. I wish mine looked that good! Now that you've made the plunge, I hope you'll consider doing a build log on your next project as I know I'll pick up a tip or two from you.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 02:19:42 AM »
Thank you again for all the kind words and encouragement.

Lone modeller There is a lot that I can relate to in your posting.

I would just add one further thing. Making kits also started for me a frighteningly long time ago and at that time it seemed so easy. You bought the kit and some glue, made it, applied the transfers and, if you had any paint, you painted it. It never went anywhere near a sanding board/craft knife to remove excess glue on seam lines etc (or any of the other tools we often take for granted today); nor was it modified/improved in any way. The point was that it was finished.

When I returned to modelling after many years, it was to be overwhelmed by magnificent models made by people whose skills I could only admire and a wealth of accessories, tools etc. This brought about a block in my mind and I found it near impossible to finish anything This wonderful website and forum has helped me with that but a key breakthrough also came when I reverted, metaphorically, to childhood. It had occurred to me that whilst I was quite knowledgeable about aircraft profiles I had nothing to hand which would give me a three-dimensional view and feel of the aircraft I loved. My solution was to go and find the cheapest biplane kit I could and just glue the thing together. Within the afternoon I was the owner of a 'finished'  Revell 1/72 Sopwith Camel; naturally enough, I wasn't the proud owner.

Funny how it helped to remove a mental block. It's now under lock and key away from prying eyes but kept as a reminder ....

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Zabu

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 05:50:28 AM »
Hi Nigel.

Great looking collection you have there. You build models for sure!

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 09:01:57 PM »
Thank you for your kind words Zabu.

It's often a snail's pace and, if I can mix the metaphor, I tend to flit around like a butterfly. There's a Camel and a Sopwith Triplane in progress,  but I'm very keen to start work on a Fokker EV before I finish them !

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 11:09:18 PM »
Nigel, I am really looking forward to the E.V build.  If it's anything like your
Nieuport (which is my favourite ;)), it will be a sweet model.  Do you plan
on doing the streaked wing? 

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »
What a great collection you have there, thanks for sharing.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 01:03:16 AM »
Thank you Ernie and Ken.  I much appreciate your kind words.

Ernie, I'm gearing myself up for the EV and friends here have been really helpful in providing advice, sources and photos. I will be doing a streaked wing, although that does pose something of a problem. I'd like to do the rabbit and snake markings shown as scheme A in the Eduard instruction booklet but I'd want to see the evidential basis for it first. Eduard simply ascribe it to A Mystery Owner -Jasta 8?. There's no sign of it in Datafile 25 nor in Alex Imrie's Vintage Warbirds volume on Fokker Fighters of World War One.  It may well mean that the style of wing streaking -- of which there were a number of variants - would become speculative on my part and that does worry me a bit.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 02:16:02 AM »
It may well mean that the style of wing streaking -- of which there were a number of variants - would become speculative on my part and that does worry me a bit.

Best wishes
Nigel

hehe don't worry so much... it's ALL speculative   ;)

Offline KONG

• A day without sunshine is like...night
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 06:51:58 AM »
You have no problems there my friend . . . . All absolutely marvellous

Cheers

DAVE
"If I could only have brought him down alive..."

Offline Zabu

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 08:25:47 AM »
Hi Nigel.

I guess that you're talking about this one?

If so i'll quote Dan San Abot

"The Fok.E.V is in the top elevation with the nose pointing up. The slope of the streaking is \. From leading edge to trailing the slope spans two rib bays at the center portion of the wing. Number the wing ribs left to right from 1 to 26.
Wing tip to 1.75 is green, to rib 4.25 is brown, to 6.5 is green, to 9.0 is brown, to 11 green, to 14 is brown, to 16.5 is green, to 19.5 is brown, to 22.75 is green, to the wing tip is brown. On the under surface of the wing the Azin violet* (17A7), matches the mocha brown* (5F7), and the azure blue* (23A7), matches the True green*(27A7), on the leading and trailing edges. The wing is streaked with these stains,(not paint) much like the Fok.DR.I. The base color would be the birch plywood, pale yellow. After the stained dried, the wing was varnished to waterproof the wing surfaces. The Methuen codes listed are the specific colors listed on the Fokker E.V wing drawing by definition."

Sorry if i can't be more helpfull.

Cheers

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »
Well there ya go! Well done Zabu.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »
Oh my goodness me, this is brilliant. Thank you Zabu. The combination of things that I have received from people like Trackpad, Jamo, Lance on the Fokker EV thread  and yourself has been amazing.

No excuses now!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 10:26:41 PM »
And that is why forums like this are such a nice place to be. Help and encouragement comes from all directions.  ;D
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”