WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Under Construction

Airfix DH4 with Blue Rider DH9 conversion, and Pegasus DH4 double build

<< < (2/26) > >>

Tim Mixon:
What is the other site BTW?

IanB:
Thanks for the interest gents!
Tim, the other site I post on is Britmodeller. A very friendly and helpful site with lots of good advice/feedback, similar to here.

Ian

KiwiZac:
I am very interested and excited! A great start and fascinating to follow - I'm a DH fanboy so always happy to see that family pop up. I'm eager to see your scratchbuild wings for the 9, and to see how the 4 goes together (one of those kits I've lusted after but never quite pulled the trigger on).

RAGIII:
I am just joining in on the party! I always enjoy watching your processes on these old kits and you are Not disappointing Me with these two!
RAGIII

IanB:
Right, where were we?
First of all, a huge thank you to Colin@freightdogmodels for sending me his newly printed decals for the Pegasus DH4. Totally unexpected, and very welcome!

I had to extend my stay in UK as my Uncle passed away while I was in Guernsey with my brother and sister. We didn't have a will so my sister and I had to go through the house searching for one. Not found, so now she has to take on the tasks of getting everything sorted.

Today I finally got back to the bench and made a little more progress on these two. First the 9:

The gap in the fuselage halves where I'd removed the moulded attachment points was filled with plastic card and then given a coat of PPP to smooth it all out. Then I smoothed off the inner surfaces of the fuselage sides and added a false floor to hide the seam,

The recesses for the main landing gear legs were filled with UV resin and cured with my mini light sabre, then PPP was added to finish it off. Final finishing will be done once the fuselage halves have been mated.

I then took a look at the Pegasus DH4 fuselage. It too needs a bit of work!

Lots of flash, and the insides need thinning a little around the cockpit edges but nothing major there. The main issues here are:
a) The rear fuselage is too deep at the tail end.

b) The pilot's cockpit is only correct for the RAF 3a engine version. For the RR Eagle and Liberty engines the cockpit was a little further back so that will have to be changed.                     

Plus, of course, I will have to chop the nose off and replace it with the Liberty engine nose, but that will be done once the fuselage has been joined. Or, that is the plan at present anyway!
I made a start on the first of those issues this afternoon. This is what needs changing.

The slope on the rear fuselage aft of the observer's position was also increased to meet the tail end correctly.
Here I have one half done and compared to the original.

That's it for now, slow but sure!
Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version