Author Topic: Vickers Vimy Fly Model in 1/33rd  (Read 7532 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Vickers Vimy Fly Model in 1/33rd
« on: September 20, 2023, 02:34:56 PM »
All,

Due to an estate sale, I snagged this lovely beast for a very fair price.  It's large and will look amazing when completed.  I just decided to do something different and dipped my toe into the kit by starting on the ailerons.  Here is one of four complete with control horns.

I'm thinking this will be a long term project. Let the games begin!

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: Vickers Vimy Fly Model in 1/33rd
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 05:46:59 PM »
Hi Dan, is this the one from Modelik?

I bought mine 2 years ago + the extra set, but it's still in the stach due to an other project.

I will follow this build with special interest!

Cheers,
Willem

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 12:15:41 AM »
Hello Willem!

I'm not sure.  I don't know if Fly Models made a completely different model or not.  My hunch is that it's different but I'll need to do some homework to find out...

Thanks for commenting.  Let's hope this one goes smoothly!

Dan

UPDATE!  Looking at the parts, I think they are definitely different.  Engine parts etc. look quite different.  Maybe someone else can confirm this?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 03:08:16 AM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline Herb Collector

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 03:19:46 AM »

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 06:07:47 AM »
THANKS, Herb C.  They do look different so the Fly Model is not the same as Modelik!

I wonder how each will actually build?

Dan

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 10:30:58 PM »
Well now, this is going to be a real treat to watch.  I do hope you have sufficient shelf space for this monster.   I’ve got my signature cup of black coffee ready! 

All the best,
Tim

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 01:46:33 PM »
Thanks, Tim.  I think you may need extra coffee as this may not be super exciting.  Take this installment for example.  I got all 4 ailerons completed.  Whooptie-doo!

Actually, that's awesome.  I think I'll work on the stab/elevator and rudders next.  So far, no fit issues.  Too early to tell yet, though!  ::)

More soon...Dan

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 11:04:53 PM »
Kind of like a successful marriage Dan.  Its the small things that count!   

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2023, 07:57:35 AM »
Hi Dan,

if your hand is normal size this beast is going to be just that, a beast, a huge beast!  ;D

Have you ever considered filling wings with sheet balsa instead of billions of ribs?

Have fun with your project

Joachim

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 08:02:36 AM »
You are so right, Tim!

Joachim:  I'd rather add the ribs since it's more like the real thing.  So far, the paper in this kit is rather thick so I'm not getting into too much trouble with bad valleys or humps without the extra ribs.  We'll see what the wings look like!

This finishes all the moveable bits.  I think I'll either start the props and nacelles or the wheels next.  We'll see!

Thanks for looking...Dan

Offline Radarman

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 01:20:13 PM »
Hi Dan,
I look forward to seeing another of your great builds, this one will be a cracker.
Now that the weather has turned around here you shouldn't feel guilty about spending time modeling.

Kevin in Port Orchard
We are all victims of history!

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2023, 02:50:36 PM »
Nice to hear from you, Kevin!  Yup.  Today was a good day to build.  I think the whole week will be like that.  Now if only I was a millionaire and retired.  Still...

All has gone really well so far.  Tonight I hit the first high hurdle with the difficult props.

The geometry and cut outs are ingenious but my execution leaves a bit to be desired.  I think I'll copy the parts in case and try the other side knowing what I know now.  If it goes better, maybe I'll redo this first one.  If it's the same, more touch-up paint and we'll say good enough for the girls we date.  It's pretty cool in that you get a built in  spiral to the prop blades so they have pitch.  They don't look like simple flat blades glued at an angle onto the hub.  Neat idea but I need to summon more of my inner Pole or Czech.

More soon...Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2023, 10:41:09 AM »
"Celebrate good times, come on!"

An outstanding start Dan, I am so excited to follow along! I'd love to do one in 1/48...having to find somewhere to store a Vimy this big would be something of a challenge for me so I am quite happy just to live vicariously though you.
Zac in NZ

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 12:56:26 PM »
This is a real issue.  Not sure what I'll do.  Probably hang it in my office at work.  I like confusing students since I teach in a biology department but have airplanes all over my office.  ;D

Thanks for looking, Zac.  So far it's been a fun one...Dan

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2023, 04:35:38 AM »
In between getting ready for ANOTHER visit from my Mother-out-law (building will be much reduced over the next week or so), I did take a stab at one of the nacelles before cleaning up all my model supplies from our dining room table.  It seemed daunting with lots of curved cuts and double curves but it went together really, really well.  It needs some detailing, touch-ups and the struts are not glued, but you get the idea.  Now I know how to make the other one much nicer.  One down and one to go.  Then it's on to the wings of doom...

Dan