Author Topic: Eduard 1/72nd Nieuport 17 Batch Build  (Read 2365 times)

Offline NigelR

Re: Eduard 1/72nd Nieuport 17 Batch Build
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2024, 07:51:04 PM »
Every day is indeed a school day, and modelling wouldn't be modelling without a few self-inflicted setbacks.... ;D

These are looking good however, I love the detail of the veneer strips inside the cockpit.

Offline WD

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2024, 10:08:14 PM »
Thank you for the kind words NigelR and AngryJazz.

Warren

Offline Davos522

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2024, 12:19:27 AM »
Having just gotten a copy of this kit I have a new appreciation for how small these babies really are... (1967, and those 1:72 Revell WW1 kits with the brass plates on the box-art, was a very long time ago). But you're doing a bang-up job. Onward, Warren, through night and fog!

Dutch

Offline WD

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2024, 06:42:11 AM »
Thanks Dutch!  She is tiny, isn't she?

Warren

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 08:26:50 AM »
Fallout: New Vegas - good choice. Clothespins: less so, apparently! Now we know! Great recovery though, Warren.
Zac in NZ

Offline WD

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2024, 02:09:39 AM »
Fallout: New Vegas - good choice. Clothespins: less so, apparently! Now we know! Great recovery though, Warren.

Thanks! I'm still working on that seam.  :-\

Right now I've got two things going on with this build:

- The cowlings: Eduard didn't mold the two holes in the bottom/starboard side, and I'm having to drill those. Not a fun exercise and easy to mess us, which I have.  :-[
- The diaphragm on my a/c compressor has busted, and I've got to take it apart to see about fixing it.  :(

Warren

Offline WD

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2024, 06:32:19 AM »
Not much progress of late at the workbench, too much real life combined with an almost total loss of mojo.  I did have to replace the air compressor.  :'(  And those cowlings?  More on that below.

However, some progress has been made. I replaced the little nib on the bottom of two of the fuselages with brass tube since they're supposed to be spent cartridge chutes for the Vickers-armed Nieuports.

Some negative modeling going on as well. Eduard gives you cowlings that lack the holes on the bottom and starboard side that are present on all versions of the Nieuport 17 and 23. Drilling these out, for me at least, is a royal pain. Of course, I can't leave well enough alone, so I messed with one to the point I screwed it up. Saturday morning the workbench smelled of a candle burning and heat-stretched sprue. It smells like . . . negative modeling. So, stretched sprue with Tamiya extra thin to plug the holes. We'll see if this works.

At least I have three objects on the bench that are starting to resemble actual aeroplanes and aren't far from the point I can pick them up and zoom them about the bench.

Warren

PS: Dutch, check your email pard!

Offline NigelR

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2024, 07:19:15 PM »
Glad you're back on this build, life does have a habit of getting in the way sometimes. I can see progress here, I'm sure your attention to detail is going to be well rewarded in the end.....

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2024, 09:56:03 PM »
I’m also glad to see this project moving forward. I have several of these Eduard kits to build. You are making great strides. Hoping your Mojo continues to grow!

Nice fix for the holes. 

Tim

Offline WD

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2024, 10:12:57 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Tim and Nigel.

Warren

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2024, 07:20:17 PM »
I'm loving this project Warren; I have only tried building the same kit at the same time once, and that was only two models... keeping track of each model is no doubt tricky! Tackling it the way you have, methodically and with excellent attention to detail, is showing in the excellent results you are achieving. Keep up the work on these, and I'm looking forward to the next update!

Cheers,

BC

Offline WD

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2024, 04:47:52 AM »
Thank you Brad!  I've had some bouts with negative modeling here of late, but I'm soldiering on to try and reinvigorate some long dead skills and learn new ones.

Warren

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2024, 05:31:47 AM »
Keep going Warren - they're looking great. (Can't see a great big thumbs up emoji, but that's what I'm posting) ;)

I know it feels like you aren't getting anywhere with these multi builds, but you'll find once they are at this stage you are encouraged by the feeling of 'they're nearly there' and it'll get easier ;D
(With the recent Dr1 group I did I actually took a bit of break part way through and built something different for a bit and found when I came back to the group I was filled with fresh enthusiasm)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline WD

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2024, 08:16:50 AM »
Paul, I have to say that doing them this way, while it has some advantages, does also leave me bogged down when it comes to areas I don't enjoy or aren't good at.
While the Nieuport is a tiny thing in 1/72nd, I still have a small workbench, and I think going forward two at a time might be as much as I can manage. I'm also going to start an alternative build next round too, such as a tank and an a/c so when I get burned out on one, I can swing over to the other to keep my mojo going.

Warren

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2024, 08:23:09 AM »
In Spite of the "Negative" Modeling you are encountering at times the Models are progressing and looking Great! Having something a bit different to go to when you reach a stopping point is a good idea. I usually have something like that to fall back on!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler