Author Topic: Kette of Dr1's  (Read 8490 times)

Offline Davos522

Re: Kette of Dr1's
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2023, 11:33:59 PM »
Love the placement of the a/c, that's going to make a compact little grouping. And I like your philosophy of not getting crazy in the cockpits, it's something I think I'm going to adopt (to a greater or lesser extent) in my future builds. Really enjoying following along with this thread!

Dutch

Online DaddyO

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2023, 11:51:52 PM »
 Cheers Dutch.  :)
Withe the the previous ones built (one converted into prototype) I spent ages with the cockpits and barely anything can be seen without a torch and a decent magnifier. Sometimes it's worth it and good fun in itself, but with four of them on the go I thought it was important not to get too bogged down otherwise the energy and willingness to complete the initial idea peters out and things end up part finished on the shelf of doom . . .
I've got a couple of other simple builds on the go for when things get a little too much like a chore with this one, but the plan is to get it finished by Christmas

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2023, 05:59:19 PM »
Lovely project all around! Fine work on the engine(s)!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2023, 08:14:15 PM »
I have many times thought of doing a lineup of 1/72 aircraft but never got round to it. This is going to look great.

It will be done in time for the Yeovil show on Sunday, won't it......? ;) ;D

Online DaddyO

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2023, 08:25:58 PM »
Lovely project all around! Fine work on the engine(s)!

Cheers Prze  :)

I have many times thought of doing a lineup of 1/72 aircraft but never got round to it. This is going to look great.

It will be done in time for the Yeovil show on Sunday, won't it......? ;) ;D

Definitely ready for Sunday Nigel ;D Almost certainly  . . . .perhaps . . . :-\ ;)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2023, 04:48:27 AM »
He never mentioned which Sunday this particular Yeovil show is set for  ;)
Zac in NZ

Online DaddyO

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2023, 05:58:36 PM »
He never mentioned which Sunday this particular Yeovil show is set for  ;)

;D
Sadly missed this Sunday's deadline Nigel, but have made some progress on these this week (when I should have been working!) :o
Undersides are all painted up now and i started with the black finish on Pippart's aircraft (Hopefully you can see a slight streaking showing through on this rather dodgy picture) Need to add the fuselage decals next and then thinned black over the top.

Paul

Offline NigelR

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2023, 06:19:11 PM »
Wow, that is attention to detail - the streaking bleed though is subtle but it's there......

Sadly missed this Sunday's deadline Nigel
There's always next year. Or the year after...... ;)

Offline DaveB

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2023, 08:22:49 PM »
Good progress, there Paul -

These Eduard Dr1's are a nice little kit.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Davos522

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2023, 12:33:19 AM »
I'm with Nigel, that's impressive detailing! Greatly enjoying this epic build...

Dutch

Online DaddyO

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2023, 06:03:58 PM »
Wow, that is attention to detail - the streaking bleed though is subtle but it's there......

Sadly missed this Sunday's deadline Nigel
There's always next year. Or the year after...... ;)

Hiya matey. I'm sure all that subtly done work will disappear under a coat or two of varnish as usual, but at least it's there  ;)

Good progress, there Paul -

These Eduard Dr1's are a nice little kit.

Regards

Dave

Cheers Dave.  :)
Good little model indeeed which I often recommend as a 'starter' kit for anyoe interested in WW1 types in gentleman's scale (along with the Eduard Nieuport in one of it's many guises)

I'm with Nigel, that's impressive detailing! Greatly enjoying this epic build...

Dutch

Thanks Dutch, glad you're enjoying it so far . . . .

Managed to get some paint onto the undersides and struts. Mixed it up by eye in acrylics using the AK underside blue as a starting point, but aiming for a slightly more turquoise hue (My reasoning is that if the dark green has yellowed because of the varnish to an olive then the underside colour would have too) ??? Anyway it adds a bit of variation between builds  ;D

Online DaddyO

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2023, 06:11:45 PM »
I also had a bit of fun with the wheels.  :P

Logically I could just chuck them in a drill and spin slowly when brushing towards the centre to get the faded effect. Sadly logic didn't help on this occasion and despite my best efforts every time I lifted the brush off it left a swoosh mark and the fade wasn't concentric with the wheel hub.
Not to be put off I decided to go back to a more manual method and painted a dark outer ring next to the tyre with some glaze medium added to the paint; this allowed me to stipple the inner part into a soft fade. I repeated this with a medium shade and light shade and then added a couple of thin glazes to blend everything together - easy  ::)
Final touch was to paint the hub with a touch of gunmetal and silver highlights done wet in wet. (I'd already drilled out the hub centres) Sorry no split pins in this scale for me  8)

Cheers
Paul

Offline NigelR

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2023, 07:14:15 PM »
Good progress at the DaddyO factory. Those wheels look fantastic, but what a lot of effort for such a tiny scale....... ;)

Online DaddyO

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2023, 09:51:42 PM »
Good progress at the DaddyO factory. Those wheels look fantastic, but what a lot of effort for such a tiny scale....... ;)
;D Cheers matey
(I do sometimes wonder about a doing something bigger. I've even got a couple of 1/48 models on the shelf so who knows?)

Paul

ps - Colour going onto tails at the moment .. .

Online DaddyO

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2023, 02:11:59 AM »
Added some colour to the tails. Yellow first mixed to match the Pheon decal yellow colour. My intention had been to mask and spray the black stripes, but that proved quite tricky because I'd glued the elevators on at an angle and getting the masking on the sliver of tail near the counterbalance accurately.  ???
So thinking cap on I decided to use a permanent marker to draw the edges of the black and then fill in the middle bit with a brush  :P