Author Topic: Nieuport 11 1:32 (Special Hobby)  (Read 21761 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Nieuport 11 1:32 (Special Hobby)
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 03:14:10 AM »
Just found this Andreas: I mistook the photo that Xan posted for your model...well what is the difference? Brilliant detailing as usual.

Stephen.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2018, 06:36:36 AM »
Outstanding work on the interior and the cross bracing behind the seat is a nice solution to a problem.  it certainly adds some interest and should generate a lot of: "How'd you do that?"  The kit requires some work but will pay off nicely when finished.  Looking forward to your update.  As to color, it's your model and you get to choose what looks best to you based on your research.  No one can prove you wrong.  Go for it.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline krow113

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2018, 01:44:35 AM »
Interior looks good down in there!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2018, 07:59:34 AM »
Thank you very much Gregory, Frank, Rick, Xan, Ondra, Gaz Giuseppe, Steve, Stephen, Mark and Steve! Your comments are highly appreciated.

When I closed the fuselage I thought about the pilot's head. Only the forward part of the cockpit opening is padded, the rearward part is not. Special Hobby doesn't add anything for the head of the pilot above the seat (nor does the classic 1/48 Eduard kit). I checked all my references, but could not find a picture of the cockpit showing the rear part. Hmmm, the Nieuport 16 and 17 had a headrest, could there really have been just a wooden edge in the Nieuport 11? it would have been a trap for the pilot, working even as a kind of a neck-breaker! I found the answer in the right upper corner of this pic: There was a head protection in the Nieuport 11 as well, it was covered with wood and equipped with what looks like the small edge of a little cushion for the head. That had to be modelled...

Another item that is ignored or molded wrongly respectively by both aforementioned kit producers is, that the starboard acces pannel at the front of the fuselage was only in very few cases the same like on the port side. the starboard pannel was larger and photos show many variants. I went with what for me seems to be the most common starboard acces pannel. It was made with thin plastic card

Besides of that I reworked the tail aerea with lead foil and brass rod:

The control horns are PE parts that should be glued bluntly onto the rudder and elevator surfaces, which is nonsense in my opinion as they would undoubtedly break when rigging would add just a little tension. So I cut the upper and lower control horn in one piece out of the leftovers of the PE sheet and cut a little gap into the rudder and elevators where I glued the one-piece control horns in.

Thank you!
Borsos
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:09:50 AM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2018, 11:20:41 AM »
 Andreas,
Excellent up date my old friend. Your upgrades and corrections will add much to the finished project. Well Done.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »
Outstanding added details Andreas! Really looking fantastic.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline xan

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 04:10:05 PM »
Good work!
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »
Fantastic!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 06:15:31 AM »
Thank you very much Gregory, Xan, Rick and GazzaS!

Uh, I haven't been here for some days and missed so many posts, so many great progresses here. Trying to keep up...

Not too much new from my side. I went on with the fuselage. The air intakes on the sides are redone with brassrod and some minor details are done. Interplane struts are glued in place and are detailed with some plasticcard. And I replaced the plastic tail skid with one made of real wood (Frank's influence again...). Now I am working on the struts.

One last thing: After test fitting the a-model's cowling I realized that it's too deep and has the wrong shape on its underside. It doesn't form the elegant curve that is so typical for the early Nieuports. I can't understand why I didn't realize that earlier. It's nothing that cannot be corrected, but I went back to the Special Hobby cowling that hasn't the mentioned flaws.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 08:35:52 AM »
    Some very nice "touches" on this one Andreas, I'm following closely as I have one waiting in the Stash and some Lafayette decals for it. That tail skid is pure art!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 04:34:51 PM »
I agree with Lance completely. I also have one in the stash with Lafayette decals!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »
Nice progress, Borsos.  I like the real-wood look of your tailskid.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline xan

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
Very pleasant work!
Will I have to admit 1/32 allows very interesting detail works?

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Bughunter

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2018, 05:04:27 AM »
And I replaced the plastic tail skid with one made of real wood (Frank's influence again...).
So it's nice to see someone takes advantage from my build reports ;)
Really pitty, that I have no time at the moment ... Such great build turns me on!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2018, 03:24:36 AM »
Very nice progress!!

Steve