Author Topic: 1/72 Scratch Build SIA (Societa Italiana Aviazone) SP (Savoja Pomilio) 2  (Read 1636 times)

Offline lone modeller

Evening All,

Some years ago I was looking through the catalogue of Windsock DataFiles when I found the SIA SP 2/3. I had no idea of what it was but I could see that it was a pusher so of course I bought a copy and decided that I needed to add one of these to my small pusher collection. I have finally pushed this to the top of my list and completed the model for a GB on Britmodeller: Anything but Injection. This one only caused one problem which was to mould the upper part of the fuselage nacelle. I have made many push moulds but somehow i could not get this one right and was about to give up when I decided to try for a last time: you can see the result in the photos. The serial is from Arctic Decals, the remainder is scratch built and rigged with 40 SWG copper wire.

The Societa Italiano Aviazone was founded in July 1916 and was part owned by Fiat. The aircraft was designed by U. Savoja and O. Pomilio in 1915 and was based on the MF 14 which was in service with the Italian armed forces. The SIA SP 1 was first flown in the spring of 1916, with the SP 2 following in July. The design was based on the MF 14 but had a 200hp Fiat A10 engine which meant that the new type had a better speed and rate of climb that the French design.

It was intended that it be used for reconnaissance and artillery spotting, and to make the type more stable it had a large span with three wing bays. Unfortunately the large wing area made the type difficult to handle in the turbulent air conditions encountered in N Italy so a revised design with two bay wings was introduced as the SP 3. There were also changes made to the nacelle: the one on the model is the earliest version, later this was modified slightly, but latterly a nacelle with a vertical front and separate cockpits for the pilot and observer became standard.

124 SP 2's were delivered between the second half of 1917 and the second half of 1918, too late to be of real use to the services, although many machines were used at the front in 1917 because of a lack of more modern types. The majority seem to have been sent to home defence squadrons or training units where many were converted with dual controls.

When the prototype flew in 1916 it showed a great improvement over machines in use at the front, but production was delayed by shortages of raw materials and skilled labour in the factories. When it finally arrived with operational squadrons problems were encountered with broken or damaged propellors as stones were thrown up when the aircraft were taxiing. Eventually 4 squadrons were either partially or entirely equipped the the SP 2 and it saw action during the 10th battle of the Isonzo in 1917.

The machine depicted in the model was issued to 38a Squadriglia when it was mobilised in February 1917, but the fate of the aircraft is not known.

The only kits of the SIA are of the SP 3 variant: a 3D printed model in 1/144 scale from Shapeways and a 1/48 scale card model from Modelart.

[

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:41:40 AM by lone modeller »

Offline WD

Stephen, that is absolutely gorgeous!  I am always amazed at your modeling ability. True scale modeling. Sir Harry would be so proud. As for me, I'm just a lowly kit-assembler.
This is art.

WD

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Another beautiful build by your talented hands ! I really like how this one turned out , one of your best pushers in this scale  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Saso Krasovec

GREAT, bravo!!!

Offline gbrivio

You did a gret job with this, hats off.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline ermeio

excellent results
... and a great subject!
er me

Offline RAGIII

Following your processes is always educational. Your results on this one are Superb as always! Perhaps one of your best yet although it is difficult to judge as all are quality builds! Gorgeous Model in all Aspects!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Bravo, Stephen! 
Such a complicated looking craft - and you have done it justice.
Hats off to you for that rigging!

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Wonderful model. Everything looks fine and very delicate.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline DaveB

Truly brilliant work, Steve -

I agree with others that this is one of your best works - and what a good looking it was too!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Another magical scratch build to your spectacular collection! Where do you find those rare birds???
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RichieW

A beautiful, delicate feat of scratch building Stephen. I really enjoyed reading the background information too, I had never heard of this aircraft before.

Richie

Offline IanB

Very, very, nice Stephen.
I like this one a lot!

What's next?

Ian

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Hi Stephen,
This is a stunning creation of a very unusual aircraft.
There are some seriously talented modelers on this forum and this has to be up there,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline gedmundson

Wonderful model, Stephen. That rigging is amazing!
Cheers,
Gary