Author Topic: Aftermarket 1/72 parts  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Rick_H

Aftermarket 1/72 parts
« on: March 22, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
When I stepped away from WWI aircraft modeling, I had a bunch of parts that I have since misplaced.  Years ago, there were aftermarket parts (guns, seats, wheels, engines, etc) from Aeroclub, XtraParts, Rosemont and Merlin, that I can remember. 

Does anybody provide 1/72 aftermarket parts now?  Tom's Modelworks' photoetch is all that I know t be currently available.
Thanks,
Rick

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Aftermarket 1/72 parts
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
small parts does the best engines in 1/72. they have several rotaries  and mercedes d.iii/d.iiia that are lovely.aeroclub did do some engines and guns but they are hard to find, eduard and part do some photoetch .eduard is good for seats,stitching and such and part(of poland) do sets for specific craft.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »
Fotocut is another brand that is also around. Fred Hultberg runs it (oletcher).

Miniworld do some amazing machine guns in 1/72
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:31:58 AM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 11:40:23 PM »
I get engines from Choroszy. He doesn't advertise them but he has sold them to me separately if I ask. As mentioned, Part and Eduard do good PE although some of each fret is no use as it is supposed to represent items such as struts, which need more depth. MiniWorld guns are incredible, I use them exclusively for Scarff rings and Parabellums. Barracuda resin does Albatros/Pfalz wheels and some very nice wicker seats for British aircraft. Aeroclub parts still come up on ebay every so often, I have a good few engines and props in my spares box, although I'm running short of wheels - I may cast my own resin copies! John can still be reached via email on the Britmodeller forum. I know he was looking to sell the whitemetal part of the business but I have no further details. We've been trying to convince Costas of Gaspatch to do more in 1:72, he does some guns at the moment and can be found on this forum....

Ian

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 12:00:40 AM »
+1 for smallparts resin engines (few reviews can be found around the forum)
I also use a lot of PART photoetch. They can be bought by Jadar Hobby in Poland.
Think globally, act locally!

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 10:46:02 PM »
Yep Rick, they've pretty much covered it. We've lost some great suppliers in recent years. I mourn the demise of Rosemont, Strutz, etc.  :'(

Warren

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »
Well, I just got a handful of Miniworld guns, and they are certainly incredible compared to the standard of white metal parts I knew in the past century.  Now I just need to make sure the model deserves such a thing.

And I will be working up the nerve to get to the Small Parts engines.  It hardly seems practical to cover up such a work of art inside a cowling.  I guess a DH2 is the best platform for displaying one of these.

Thanks for all the ideas, folks.
Rick

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »
To avoid confusion the company is called Small Stuff and their engines are incredible!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 06:18:43 PM »
There are quite a few reviews of the magnificent Small Stuff engines here;  http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?board=10.0

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 10:30:17 AM »

And I will be working up the nerve to get to the Small Parts engines.  It hardly seems practical to cover up such a work of art inside a cowling.  I guess a DH2 is the best platform for displaying one of these.

Or,  Nie.11/16, that's my plan at least. I also plan on doing a Nie.17 with a cut-away cowling, and a Nie.21 with mine.

Warren