Author Topic: Sopwith Camel Comic B2402, Capt. G. H. Hackwill, No44(HD) SQN RFC, January 1918  (Read 4762 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
"Built by Ruston, Proctor & Co Ltd, B2402 was modified into 'Comic' configuration for Home Defence and as such was flown by Capt George Henry Hackwill, a former FE2b pilot with No 22 Sqn with two victories to his credit, who after a stint as a flight instructor was assigned to No 44 (HD) Sqn as a flight commander.  On the night of 28-29 January 1918, Hackwill, in concert with Lt Charles Chaplin Banks in B3827, brought down Gotha GV 938/16 at Wickford.  Hailing from Langtree, Devon, Hackwill later flew more conventional Camels in France as a flight leader in No 54 Sqn, raising his score to nine and receiving the Military Cross." -Jon Guttman, Sopwith Camel, Air Vanguard 3.

Here she is at last, folks.  Still have to add the Boden cables and the flight leader pennant, but couldn't wait to get the pics up.

Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:27:09 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
...And this is my night fighter collection, so far:

...And my Sopwith shelf:

Soon, I'll have an entire Sopwith case.  Triplanes on the way.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Very, very nice, Bud. Lovely new Sopwith and the entire family looks impressive! Congratulations!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thanks, Prez!  So pleased that you like it.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline lone modeller

Those are truly impressive builds. I knew very little about the Sopwith Comic until recently - you have made a really good model there. I am also deeply impressed with the BE 12  and the Sopwith collection.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thanks, LM!  Greatly appreciated.  The Roden BE kits are excellent.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Beautiful Bud, and the Sopwith "gaggle" is most impressive. You have really highlighted your considerable talents with this one, congratulations on a magnificent model!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thanks, Lance!  I'm poking around in your Triplane build, at the moment, for inspiration and tips since I'm just now starting mine.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Bud,
 Superb modelling.
Thanks for sharing this little gem with us  ;)

Cheers,
BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thank you, Bob!  It was truly an enjoyable build.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Brez

I love this one Bud, that dark green paintwork gives it a real sinister look - perfect for a night-fighter  8)
and don't she look tiny against the big ol' BE!

Superb flock of Sopwiths BTW, you can never have too many Sopwiths.

Cheers,
Tony.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thank you, Tony!  It was your Comic that inspired me to finish this one.  It does look sinister, doesn't it?
...you can never have too many Sopwiths.
You got that right, mate.  I've got two more on the bench now.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
  Bud,
Outstanding Comic my old friend. Very impressive collection of Sopwiths as well. Looking forward to seeing your Tripe.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thanks, Gregory!  I'll be starting a thread on the Tripe in the next day or so.  This will be my first WNW build and my first build in any scale other than 1/48.  Looking forward to it.  The kit is awesome!
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Excellent work Bud! The Sopwith Comic is a personal favorite of mine and your build is inspiring. This is the Blue Max/ Eduard combo? You should be very proud of that result.

kind regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com