Author Topic: Pegasus Jenny 1/72  (Read 921 times)

Offline djuggie

Pegasus Jenny 1/72
« on: April 22, 2024, 12:50:58 PM »
April 21, 2024

After many years on the shelf, the Pegasus  JN-4D Jenny will see the light of day.  This is kit # 2005 and released somewhere in the late 1980s.  As you can see it is in the plastic bag, the kit is very basic,  No struts, no undercarriage.  There is three piece engine and two exhausts in white metal.  A decal sheet was included. 

There are several reasons why it was not built.  Primarily was the lack of research material.  Now I have two Datafiles (131 and 132).  In 2004 the company OLIMP released the JN4, which I have built.  I was leaning toward one of the Canadian models and looking for decals to cobble together, I found a Blue Rider decal sheet for Canadian Jennys.  I also got better as a builder over the years.  Let's see if I can bring it all together with this kit

« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 01:48:57 PM by djuggie »

Offline AngryJazz

Re: Pegasus Jenny 1/72
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 04:04:38 PM »
Off to a great start!

It always surprises me how small the WW1 1/72 kits are. Im impressed you manage to put them together while adding more detail. I know I would have lost 2 parts already  ;D
//Ben

Offline NigelR

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 06:26:15 PM »
Wow, that's an oldie (the kit I mean, not you..... ;) :D). I am sure you will do a great job on this.

Offline djuggie

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 09:59:46 PM »
It is still early.  Parts can be lost in a heartbeat.  And Nigel, you are right on both counts.  And old modeller building an old kit.  But I enjoy it.  I seemed to be hardwired for 1/72nd as I find very little pleasure in the larger scales.  I have sgtrayed a few times but always come home to 1/72nd scale. 

Thank you for your comments.  I shooting to have the cockpit closed up today.

Dennis

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 11:08:30 PM »
Great to see this one being built Denis.
I bought the Olimp one, but when the Pegasus version popped up I just couldn't resist. Needless to say it's this one I prefer . . . . ::)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 05:32:20 AM »
Thanks for bringing this to the light of day Dennis, it'll be great.

Warren

Offline Davos522

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 12:36:51 PM »
Love it, Dennis (and I'm not saying that because I'm half Curtiss!). Steve Perry and I were both planning to do an N-9 conversion, and pooled our references a year or two before he went West... but now that I've passed on all my 1:48 kits to the boys I don't see it happening. Guess I'll just have to follow along with your JN-4 :D

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 01:29:57 PM »
Excellent, I'm excited to see this one!
Zac in NZ

Offline djuggie

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2024, 11:01:21 AM »
April 24, 2024

The fuselage is now closed up and painted.

The most difficult part of the kit was getting the engine and engine cover to fit.  Here is where the thick sides of Pegasus kits require a great deal of sanding.  After much sanding and cutting, I got the engine where it belongs.  The fuselage was sanded and painted.  I have left off attaching the wings due to the complexity of the masking of the fuselage.

The decals are the Blue Rider sheet but with a little yellowing over the years.  I hope to have that cleared up by good old sunshine.  The decals are taped to a west facing window and I let the sun bleach them out.  Let's see how it goes.  Other than the yellowing, the decals have worked flawlessly.  This method may not work in Norway but in Central California, bright sun is not a problem.  I will wait a few days to see if the decals bleach out.  If not, they will have yellow tint to them.

Dennis

Offline NigelR

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 06:18:02 PM »
Coming together nicely. If the decals have a yellowish tint, you can always claim the original plane was left for too long in bright sunlight...... ;)

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 06:48:49 PM »
Wow, again a very raw material shaping into a fine model. I admire your resolution to tackle such difficult kits.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 07:22:21 PM »
Stellar work, it is like watching someone create a masterpiece from a blob of clay. Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers,

BC

Offline WD

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2024, 04:46:02 AM »
Dennis, you always were the brave one.  :)

Guys, I can remember him challenging himself to a complete build with paint, rigging, and decaling in 24 hours years ago. It was epic.

Warren

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2024, 11:29:42 AM »
Great start Dennis!  You have selected the markings I built myself back in 2014.  I hope it’s not too late to mention the ailerons on the lower wing of the Canadian Jenny.  I totally missed this detail on my build.  Way too late to correct after rigging it. 

All the best,
Tim

Offline djuggie

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2024, 09:47:10 AM »
Tim,

I spotted them late in the game but they are there.  Also, changed the shape of the horizontal stabilizer at the last minute. I think I have all of the holes drilled.  The wings are drying.

Ah, yes, the 24 hour build.  But I did that before my therapy.  I'm better now.  I twitch a little now and then but all is well.

Thank all of you for the comments.  I hope to have some more photos up tomorrow.

Dennis