Author Topic: WNW: how many kits do they have left?  (Read 48592 times)

Offline Pup7309

Re: WNW: how many kits do they have left?
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2020, 12:26:17 PM »
So I guess 2 possible scenarios:
WNW sell off to suppliers in bulk
Or they reopen as WNW 2.0 in the future, the first being more likely.
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
i think it's somewhat likely they'll sell off their inventory directly from the website. the site's already set up, and if the accountants in charge now can't or won't pack orders themselves, they can hire temps, or outsource to someone like Pitney Bowes.

it'll sell pretty quick, if they don't put any limits on how many you buy, so selling at full retail price would be the advantage there.

i don't think that counts as WNW 2.0...  but i still would be surprised if they don't sell in bulk to a retailer like they did MBK.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2020, 10:04:56 PM »
Maybe a bit of both? Bulk sales to HLJ, Hannants (BNA I hope!) etc and from website restarted. Then maybe that will be it.
Maybe PJ will pick up the thread in a few years and finish what he started. If not it was great to be a part of it even if the end was brutal and mystifying.

Offline Dave J

« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »
probably the last of the Clerget for all practical purposes, yeah. but it's super easy to turn any Camel except the ship's Camel into a Clerget if you don't need the kit decals (i think HGW offer some of the kit markings, but not Barker's if i recall). all you need to do is get a Clerget 9B. if the exquisite Taurus engine is too pricey or too much work for something barely visible, then Lukgraph makes a 3d printed one. cheap as chips.

i'm no warehouse-ologist, but i think Dave J has said (feel free to correct me Dave) that a) MBK and Andy's are business partners, therefore this is one big buy, and b) it's likely HK is pretty much cleaned out by these.

**** pure speculation********

i expect other warehouses to fall soon, and i would also expect the NZ stock to be liquidated directly via the website. this is because i suspect that the NZ stock is housed in space the Weta group will likely keep using for SOMETHING, and because elsewhere??? rent bills come due.

**** end pure speculation ****

for me personally aside from some OAW sprues and LVG C.VI decals i have pretty much everything i wanted. i would yet again like to thank WNW for making my childhood dreams come true. this is the stuff i wished would happen when i was 10 and struggling with Revell's 1/28 stuff.

and i'd also like to thank Copper State especially, but also Roden, Special Hobby, and all the aftermarket folks for keeping the flame burning. i'm not done shopping yet you're next up. (after the engagement ring and wedding savings).

Yes you are correct Jeff, Andy and MBK have an agreement. Looking at the stock that arrived I am picking its all the stock that was overseas warehouses.

Wingnut and Weta are separate companies, they have their own warehouse spaces.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline bobfest

« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2020, 03:14:20 AM »
Hi Guys,  Looks like Andy's Hobby sold out of the Wingnut kits within 4 minutes!!

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2020, 03:22:06 AM »
Hi Guys,  Looks like Andy's Hobby sold out of the Wingnut kits within 4 minutes!!

if you think about it, 50k inventory isn't that much at all, so no surprise really.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2020, 03:45:08 AM »

if you think about it, 50k inventory isn't that much at all, so no surprise really.

Andy suggested it was about 300 airplanes at this store in Phoenix, and another 300 via the online retail site.

I was still shocked at the speed they sold out.

Kits were gone within 30 seconds of the sale going live.

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2020, 08:24:14 AM »
It takes more than 30 seconds even to process Paypal.  I wonder if there were pros with tricked out computers sniping these...

Offline mgunns

« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2020, 09:23:58 AM »
I went to Andy's this afternoon.  The Store was pretty well picked over with about a dozen each NINAK's, DH.9's, DFW, early and late and U.S. Salmson's, he had a couple of Halberstadts, two Gotha G.1's, about a half dozen each AEG's both early and late and one Felixstowe, F.2a, Late.  As I drove an hour and a half from Florence AZ up the 10 to 17 to his store in north Glendale; I ended leaving with Felixstowe and  a Postwar NINAK.  I was hoping to snag an Albatros B.II but he told me he only got a few of those and they were gone early on Wednesday.  He said that there were a few folks lined up at the door on Wednesday but once the store opened, it was bedlam and pandemonium (my words)  as sales were hot and brisk.  He told me this morning the Websales sold out of the "Goodies" within the first four minutes.  I went on at 1010 and was shocked, shocked I say at what was marked as "Sold out"!  I was a bit surprised because at the model shows here in southern Arizona one only sees a few WNW kits and I know who the modelers are, there is a husband and wife team from Tucson, me and one or two others, so to see this much "excitement" over the WNW delivery at Andy's was a bit surprising.   Anyway.  It was an interesting day and my bank account is now a little lighter but Andy was adamant to keep the prices at MSRP.  He is a good guy and what you see on the videos is pretty much how he is.  I don't go there a lot as it's a long arduous drive but about three times my buddy and I make the Trek up there.  He is always welcoming, the prices are reasonable, he is well stocked and of course there is Andy holding court behind the counter pontificating on the status of plastic modeling in the 21st century and his latest ventures.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline ThePenguin

« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2020, 11:59:37 AM »
I went to Andy's this afternoon.  The Store was pretty well picked over with about a dozen each NINAK's, DH.9's, DFW, early and late and U.S. Salmson's, he had a couple of Halberstadts, two Gotha G.1's, about a half dozen each AEG's both early and late and one Felixstowe, F.2a, Late.  As I drove an hour and a half from Florence AZ up the 10 to 17 to his store in north Glendale; I ended leaving with Felixstowe and  a Postwar NINAK.  I was hoping to snag an Albatros B.II but he told me he only got a few of those and they were gone early on Wednesday.  He said that there were a few folks lined up at the door on Wednesday but once the store opened, it was bedlam and pandemonium (my words)  as sales were hot and brisk.  He told me this morning the Websales sold out of the "Goodies" within the first four minutes.  I went on at 1010 and was shocked, shocked I say at what was marked as "Sold out"!  I was a bit surprised because at the model shows here in southern Arizona one only sees a few WNW kits and I know who the modelers are, there is a husband and wife team from Tucson, me and one or two others, so to see this much "excitement" over the WNW delivery at Andy's was a bit surprising.   Anyway.  It was an interesting day and my bank account is now a little lighter but Andy was adamant to keep the prices at MSRP.  He is a good guy and what you see on the videos is pretty much how he is.  I don't go there a lot as it's a long arduous drive but about three times my buddy and I make the Trek up there.  He is always welcoming, the prices are reasonable, he is well stocked and of course there is Andy holding court behind the counter pontificating on the status of plastic modeling in the 21st century and his latest ventures.

Thanks for the nice update and info on his store, especially taking that drive during summer. WNW is an art, once their production stopped what was already high value suddenly shot up even higher and so has demand, plus I think this coupled with an upturn in demand generally from what I hear in model kits due to Covid.

It takes more than 30 seconds even to process Paypal.  I wonder if there were pros with tricked out computers sniping these...

The sale was advertised in advance on numerous sites and for the US at a reasonable hour, but if you setup PayPal One Touch (or stay logged into PayPal) it does take less than 30 seconds to pay for the cart. I haven't timed it myself, but I would be surprised if it was anything over 10 seconds as it is really quick. Perhaps too quick :). I honestly don't think there was any scalping or at least any bot driven scalping going on, just a whole bunch of people wanting a kit or two. I am hoping we'll see more WNW kits appear as the inventory clears out from various warehouses.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2020, 01:26:31 PM »
I was waiting over a couple of days for NZ to reopen from lockdown and watched in dismay as the WNW inventory on a NZ internet company disappeared (probably bought by New Zealanders) This sounds like that experience but sped up to a few minutes. Wow.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2020, 03:09:47 PM »
If each person could only buy 2 kits, and it was sold out in under 8 mins that’s nuts. Just shows the demand in the US.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:42:28 PM by Pup7309 »

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2020, 11:04:45 PM »
If each person could only buy 2 kits, and it was sold out in under 8 mins that’s mints. Just shows the demand in the US.
as i understand it 2 per kit. that said everyone i know of who actually got anything got one kit.

i tried for a Clerget Camel and a Brisfit, which was stupid. the Clerget was sold out by the time it hit my cart, and the Brisfit (which would have ended up as Keith Park's Biff if i'd gotten it) was sold out by the time i dumped the Clerget from the cart. don't really need either kit so no biggie.

to my eye it wasn't about experts with tricks but rather about everyone jumping on it at once. most people i know of in the USA said they wouldn't jump at the MBK stock because of the shipping.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2020, 11:50:45 PM »
Would MBK (without VAT but plus shipping) be competitive with what is being offered via ebay at the moment?

Offline smperry

« Reply #194 on: August 04, 2020, 01:05:10 AM »
I ordered an Early Fok. D.VII from MBK and it came to US $159 including a 45 Euro shipping price. Don't think you can get one on ebay for that.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.