Author Topic: Removing dust from models  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Removing dust from models
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »
I spent a few hours this morning cleaning all my aeroplanes, I do this on a regular basis. I have found that removing the dust from my models can be quite tiresome with the brush just moving the dust from one place to another. To combat this I stand in front of a pedestal fan running on high speed, I hold my model in front of the fan and using a soft brush I dislodge the dust, the fan immediately blows the dust away and I end up with a nice dust free model. Apart frm the propellers running at a high rate of knots no damage is done to the models at all, naturally care has to be taken when brushing between the rigging wires but with a little patience the job is soon accomplished.

I will one day build myself a display unit with glass shelves and glass sliding doors which will be dust free.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Removing dust from models
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »
Hello Des
Even display units are no guarantee! I've got two tall free-standing cabinets, though with hinged swing doors. Hence they're not complete sealed units. It's amazing just how much dust gets through. Everything needs a periodic clean. Like you, I hold models in front of a pedestal fan, but also have a very large dusting brush sold to be used with appliances like televisions and computers. It's a never-ending process.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:47:55 PM »
I have one with sliding doors...I don't have models that are dust free. :(
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »
Oh yes, dust. It used to be a nightmare. For a long time my models were exposed to dust on open shelves. Every Saturday cleaning was the name of the game. Then I had a cabinet with hinged doors but not tight enough. It helped slightly but dust still got inside. To make it worse, it was not a blowable dust, especially the matt and satin surfaces of models seemed to be sticky, I had now idea how to remove it. Brush, blowing, nothing helped.
And for a couple of years now I have my models in two cabinets, again with hinged doors fitted with glass windows. They were custom made by a master carpenter. Let it suffice to tell that he cuts the wood pieces with 0.5mm accuracy! It is a solid wood-like plate, not deforming (unlike natural wood, which usually reacts to even slight variations of humidity, temperature and is just creeping in time). He made it almost perfectly tight and the inevitable gap between the doors is additionally sealed with a plastic strip. I have not removed dust from my models for 5 or 6 years. After this time I see some thinny layer on the glass shelves, but it is not visible on models at all. I reckon, it is due to occasional opening of the cabinet, for instance to put the new roll-outs inside or to allow some visitors to see the models better.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 12:19:59 AM »
My solution is to store my models in stackable, plastic storage containers. The one below is a 12 litre/12 quart container made by Sterilite and sold at Walmart.

This size holds two 1/32 scale fighters and for the larger two-seaters, I buy larger containers.

Granted, they don't lend themselves to display but I have absolutely no dust on them and they're safe and sound from damage. Frankly, there isn't a lineup of people wanting to see my models anyways and when that odd person does express an interest, it's easy to pull a box from the pile. Another bonus is that I don't run out of shelf room.

Cheers,

Chris

You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 02:20:13 AM »
Great idea Chris!  I will look into this.  An innovative solution.  ;D  Shelving, even from Ikea, is rather expensive and space-limited.  Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Silver wings

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 06:03:45 AM »

Very nice idea for the storage container. I usually keep a couple of models on my desk shelf and store the others in separate containers. The models are rotated as wanted and the shelved ones stored. This keeps me happy to see the different ones. As an aside I built over 75 models in 1/72 way back in the 1970's and they are all stored in boxes in a glass display case in my shed. Originally the glass case ,large 4 shelf was bought at a store that was closing, but had to relegate the display case to the shed when I rebuilt the house.

Cheers,

Alec

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »
unfortunately the dust damages the models finish if you neglect it . i had a few on the top shelf that were older builds and didnt dust them regularly and in some spots the dust stucks fast, maybe like przemol says. so it try to do it once a week but even still its a pain in the rump. ok kids raise your hands if you know what dust is? thats right little johnny airborn dead skin cells. gross to have a coating on your works of art.

Offline Mark

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 05:46:26 AM »
Yep, the plastic stowage bins are great! I even keep two to three smaller sizes on my work table to store parts and pieces during assembly. Keeps the dust off of them, too . . . and at my build rate that is a necessity!  :)

Mark G.

Offline blubasso

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 06:15:57 AM »
Not a suggestion but just a question: what about a good and powerful phon with cold air?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:34:23 AM by blubasso »
If it's made from wood and canvas and flies, it's my friend. And the friends of my friend are my friends too