Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 435542 times)

Offline stefanbuss

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #1560 on: November 12, 2015, 08:20:11 PM »
Przemol,

that's a very good question. I think too much rigging gets to intimidate people easily - look how few pushers are built, compared with those "standard" single seater types (or, how few Fokker Eindecker). The W.29 and the Walfische are attractive due to their small amount of rigging, I assume.

The reason why I am promoting the D.1 is a different one - I am not too afraid of rigging, but I find the step in technologies most attractive: the change from linen covered wings towards the "metal aircraft". Of course one could say the J.1 is already on the market... But I do love the looks of the Junkers metal monoplanes.

S.

Offline Edo

« Reply #1561 on: November 12, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »
I have to agree with Prezemol: rigging is just part of the fun and one of the challanges (the other one is wood grain) that pushed me on the WWI side.
An Italian Berliot IX from the Lybia war would be great... but I know it will never happen...  :'(

ciao
Edo

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #1562 on: November 12, 2015, 09:27:29 PM »
In the matter of fact I wanted to be a little bit pricky with those who want a WNW Dr.I so badly. But on the other hand, I truly find rigging as the key factor that makes those ancient aircraft so attractive. That is why I would welcome any pusher. I have built one Fee, one DH.2, a Felixstowe, and they are my favourites mostly because of their many rigging cables. Well, a two-bay winged, double-cabled British a/c's like DH.9 are fine, too. But a Fokker, or a Junkers, their historic importance notwithstanding, bear no charm, no interest for me.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #1563 on: November 13, 2015, 01:56:24 AM »
Rigging is the best part, once you get it going, it's just a matter of executing it.....the more the merrier

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #1564 on: November 13, 2015, 02:33:11 AM »
Rigging is the best part, once you get it going, it's just a matter of executing it.....the more the merrier

I agree! That's why I prefer the old sailing ships to battleships and aircraft carriers from WWII and beyond.

George

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #1565 on: November 13, 2015, 03:04:28 AM »
Sure, there will be a WnW-Christmas-Surprise this year??
When was the last time there wasn't a pre-holiday release?
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #1566 on: November 16, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »
The speculation around what Wingnuts will release for Christmas always intensifies as we get closer to the Christmas mail postage cut-off date. I've seen speculation on every aircraft type from  a BE2c to a Handley Page 0/400.

Personally I am hoping WnW gets back to the ( more affordable) single seaters. A 0/400 might be physically impressive but based on the price of the heavies released last Christmas ( and current exchange rates) anything this size will deter a lot of buyers on purely the affordability aspect.

Personally I'm guessing the Sopwith Camel will appear for Christmas. I know its slated for 2016 but the blurb on the website says it's "expected" in 2016. That could also open the door for a "Surprise!! It's here early" announcement. This is purely a guess, not based on anything other than recognising a Camel would be THE kit WnW would want on the market for Christmas sales.

As for the much-discussed BE 2c, Wingnuts have never confirmed they are doing one so we are the ones willing this into reality but officially it's purely our wish only.

The real questions I have this year are- what's the Christmas release? Will they hold prices at current levels? Will they add postage and if so, how much? And based on all of the above, what will the exchange rates be like when the new releases are issued?

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1567 on: November 16, 2015, 02:36:03 PM »
Here is one I forgot to mention, it would make a great model - The Sikorsky Ilya Muromets, A nice little four engine bomber  :) ;) ;) this would be great for Wingnuts, their first ever four engine plane kit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #1568 on: November 16, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »
Steady on Des...

The Felix just about did me in!   :o

It's been a very quiet year for Wingnuts.. Let's hope they're not scaling back ???

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #1569 on: November 16, 2015, 05:49:47 PM »
It's OK if they are scaling back on the size of their kits, but not the quantity. No more huge wallet busters for a while, but give us something already!!

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1570 on: November 16, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »
17 days left (13 if we take out weekends) before the 4th December, the rest of the world postage cut-off date, the clock is ticking Wingnuts.

Des.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #1571 on: November 17, 2015, 03:02:49 AM »
Here is one I forgot to mention, it would make a great model - The Sikorsky Ilya Muromets, A nice little four engine bomber  :) ;) ;) this would be great for Wingnuts, their first ever four engine plane kit.

Des.
I've thought about that too, Des...what a ship....did you know when it came about in 1913 for commercial service, in it's enclosed fuselage, it actually had a bar and a loo?? In 1913!....It'd take me the rest of my life to build that beast.                 -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1572 on: November 17, 2015, 06:14:37 AM »
It was quite an aeroplane for its time Doug, also had a promenade deck where passengers could take a leisurely along the top of the fuselage whilst in flight.

Des.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #1573 on: November 17, 2015, 09:44:07 AM »
I didn't know these things about the Sikorsky....simply amazing. People certainly weren't afraid to push the envelope in those days! 9I wonder how much that had to do with fewer lawyers?)

Fewer lawyers! Ha, so true. It's amazing what they got away with in those days!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1574 on: November 17, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »
It might have been a bit breezy but imagine the view  :o

Des.