Author Topic: Martinsyde S.1, '30 Sqdn' Mesopotamia, 1915, in 1/72  (Read 6616 times)

Offline Old Man

Martinsyde S.1, '30 Sqdn' Mesopotamia, 1915, in 1/72
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:08:04 AM »
Have gotten solidly underway on this, friends; another from the first Baghdad campaign....

Here is the machine being modeled:

The machine, flown by Maj. Riley, played a pivotal, if unfortunate. role in the battle of Ctesiphon, which led to the siege of Kut and eventual surrender of Gen. Townsend's command.

Here is the 'scratch-builder's kit'....

I am using the drawings from old and extremely tattered Harleyford Fighters 1914-1918 book, supplemented by Mr. Bruce's Fighters Vol. I, and whatever pictures I can scrounge up, with the old issue of Cross and Cockade covering this campaign providing some detail on the particular machine, 4244/MH6.

Here are the basic pieces made first:

Rectangles at the bottom are blanks for the wings: it does not show in the picture, but they have been sanded to airfoil section, with appreciable camber. They are a little over-size in chord, to allow for further sanding when the ribs are put in, and the final shaping of tips and center-sections is done. They are made from 2mm styrene sheet.

At the top is the blank for the horizontal tail surface. It is made from 1mm sheet, and will be sanded down appreciably. Vertical tail surface will not be made till fuselage assembly is done (or at least its rear portion is done).

The other pieces are blanks for the fuselage sides and bottom. The sides are made of 0.75mm (0.03") sheet, and were taped together when they were trimmed to shape. They go only up to the line of the upper longeron. The bottom piece is made of 1mm (0.04") sheet; it is underwidth by the drawing to allow for fastening of the side pieces.

Here are the wings with ribs in and tips shaped:

At this stage, there is no need to differentiate between upper and lower wings, as span and chord are identical. When I choose which will be which, appropriate trimming to the center sections will be made. In the second picture, you can see something of how the 'tapes' stand out, and of the 'sag' between them. Ribs are first drawn in pencil, then scored on either side of the pencil line. The area between ribs is scraped with the curved edge of a #10 blafde, and gone over with a 'swizzle stick' sander (length of foam backed emery about 3/16" wide). Finally, the thing is swiped over a few times with a fine-grit sanding stick moved span-wise.

Here is the fuselage, with the blanks shown earlier assembled, and the rear decking and firewall put in.

For the rear decking, a backing piece was put in at the cockpit rear (what will be the cockpit rear, anyway), with a 'cap' put atop this to define the shape in front. Then a thin sheet of plastic was put down, from this to the very rear. The rear decking itself is two pieces of 2mm sheet, the first sanded to a 'wedge' shape before being attached. These were then trimmed and filed to match in plan and profile, then sanded to shape in section.

The firewall was put in the same way the cockpit rear was, in two pieces --- one between the sides and one 'capping it'. The portion of the fuselage bottom that is in front of the firewall will be trimmed out later, but for now remains to lend sturdiness to the cheek-pieces.

Next will be work on the cockpit interior....

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Martinsyde S.1, '30 Sqdn' Mesopotamia, 1915, in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
Cool , will be following this closely !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:30:08 AM »
Always enjoy following your interesting projects OM. No exception this time. Carry on!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:52:51 AM »
You are sure off to a flying start with this one OM, your progress so far is excellent, I will be following closely, always love your scratch builds.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 09:55:55 AM »
Looking forward to yet another masterpiece!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »
What a start you've made OM on a really fascinating project! I found the explanation of how you approached the wings really interesting and informative.

Thanks and best wishes
Nigel

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 03:09:29 AM »
Another interesting, not to say inspiring, project on the go. Will be watching this with interest too. Great to see these early and less well known types being brought forward, the more so as they are frequently so difficult to research. An excellent start and thanks for the explanations about how you represent wing ribs - always a pain for me.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 03:40:16 AM »
Thanks Old Man for tackling this one.
I had considered doing it myself (That is not such a big deal in my case as I consider something new every other day). I will definatly be looking forward to seeing the progress on this one.
Alan
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Old Man

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 12:07:26 AM »
Thank you all very much, my friends! I appreciate your kind words and interest in the project. Ever since I first learned of this one in the old Harleyford tome, it has held a fascination for me. Obviously, everyone has heard of Lt. Strange's famous dangle, and my tyouthful impulse was to ignore the Middle Eastern service, but now, knowing more about that, and its significance, that seems far nad away the best subject for a model of this type.

Have been working on the interior and detail parts.

Here is the interior as it stands at present:

Fuselage sides of the cockpit were plywood, not fabric. I feel reasonably sure the area behind the motor housed fuel and oil tankage, and that these slanted along the line apparent in photographs dividing plywood from metal; I doubt this will be visible, but still. Instrument panel is loosely based on that of the later 'Elephant', which shared a surprising number of characteristics with the earlier type. Bezels are brass beading wire wound around round rod (try saying that three times fast...), and instrument faces are thin slices of said rod. Note the panel leave room all around for the pieces of sheet that will build up the cockpit covering. Between the panel and the firewall, it will all be solid. A wobble-pump and air-pump need to be added.

Here are detail components under way:

Wicker seat, control column, and blank for the seven cylinder Gnome....

The seat had its holes put in with a pin and a bit of twirling a pointed blade.

The first step in the motor was making a slightly over-sized disc of 2mm sheet. This was then filed into a septagonal shape. A hole was drilled center of each face of this, and a short length of 1mm rod let into this. Over the rod, pieces of 2mm tube were slipped, after having been given some taper on their interior ends. Heads were then beveled a little. Circles of thin sheet were added to the front of the crankcase, and fins scraped into the cylinders with a pin-point.

Here is a picture of the front, with the motor very roughly in place:

When the nose is finally tended to properly, the cheek-pieces, which are 30 thou sheet, will be thinned considerably, which should allow the motor to fit with minimal attentions to the cylinder heads.

Next step will be closing over the fuselage at cockpit and front, and doing the final shaping and scoring of the wings, and splitting the lower wing.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 03:59:41 AM »
This is a very fine build which is coming on well. I especially like how you have built your engine - these can be a pig from scratch as I know from experience. I shall keep your ideas in mind when I next have to build a rotary or radial.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »
This is coming together very nicely OM, I like your technique for making the rotary engine.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Old Man

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 12:33:27 AM »
Thank you very much, Gentlemen.

A good deal of progress to report:

In covering over the cockpit, I used three pieces of thickish (30 thou) plastic, one for each side of the trtiangle, and a narrow one for the space between them. This was overthick intentionally, as there is a good deal of sanding it would have to stand up to. The area between the instrument panel and the firewall is a fairly complex shape. In profile, it rises towards the firewall, and as it does, it transforms in section from the flat-topped triangle at the panel to half-round at the firewall (one ferature the later Elephant shares with its 'Scout' predecessor). The fill in the area is a solid laminate, one layer 3mm sheet, the other 2mm sheet.

The cowling upper is only tacked in place in these pictures. It is one of those exercises in 'take some plastic and remove everything which is not the part' I resort to at times. It is made of three pieces of thick sheet, two 2mm and one 3mm. I placved the first sheet of 2mm against the firewall and traced its outline. I then cut away up to near that line, with a decided slant forward, to get the interior hollow underway, and then tacked it place temporarily to file it down to roughly the desired external shape. I then glued this to a second piece of 2mm sheet, and again trimmed away the interior void, and roughly shaped down the outside. Final step was a piece of 3mm sheet in front. Since at this point, the void is more vertical than not, I traced the interior of the front of what I had in hand already, and trimmed away a void in the thickness of the sheet. When I had done this, I glued the earlier assembly on, and did more internal shaping with 'swizzle stick' sanding sticks and curved edge razor knife blades. Them I tacked the thing in place, and filed it to pretty much its final external shape.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the 'interior' and the fit on the inside...

Here are a couple of pictures focused on the cockpit, with pumps and a couple more things added....

(this is a late production machine, earlier ones had an oddly a-symmetrical cockpit opening, which re-appeared in the later Elephant)

State of play has advanced a good deal since these pictures were taken. I have cut away the 'bottom' in front of the firewall, trimmed the cheekpieces projecting there considerably, attached the upper cowling piece, given it is final shaping, and added the 'strip' across the front of the cowling (a support for the motor, in part). I can report that, if no detail is put in on the cylinder heads which would be concealed within the cowling, the motor fits in its present state. I have also pitched in on the wings, scribing the ailerons and scoring rib indications on the undersurfaces. Still have not decided which will be upper and which lower, though....

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 12:54:01 AM »
An excellent up-date Oldman  . You are making pretty good progress on the fuselage  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 06:42:20 AM »
That is a long process to get the complex curves on the nose. Personally I would have moulded it but then I would have to carve the shape in wood first. Either way it is difficult enough and I greatly admire what you have done. This model is really coming on well - so interesting to see one of these early and less well known (hardly known?) types in the making. Looking forward to reading more.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
you are a talented so and so old man. have been enjoying your scratch builds for years. and this one is another example.great work.