Author Topic: Short Type 827 (converted), RNAS Mesopotamia, 1915, in 1/72  (Read 15784 times)

Offline radio

Re: Short Type 827 (converted), RNAS Mesopotamia, 1915, in 1/72
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 02:58:59 AM »
You make an great work and paint until yet. Will wait for the next.
Martin

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 04:47:44 AM »
I agree with everything posted so far +10! Your method of building the wing cellule and then inserting the fuselage certainly takes some courage (not to mention skill) but I can understand why you have done it this way. Just cannot wait to see your engine - if the others are anything to go by this one will be another mini-masterpiece.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »
  It's just an absolute pleasure to sit back and follow this project OM. Lots to be learned and inspiration that just doesn't stop. What you did with that wing module was brilliant, and as for scale..............good grief, most of us would be terminally challenged to do this in 1:32!
Great Work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Old Man

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 01:19:05 AM »
Thank you, my friends.

I have found the 'assemble wings' technique useful in several situations, mostly involving pushers and machines where the fuselage rides mid-gap. It would be a bit trickier on a single-bay wing cellule, because once it is assembled, you pretty well have to rig it, or it is just too wobbly to work with, and rigging in advance to cabane ends would make putting the cabanes later a bit tricky, I expect. But rigging the outer bays of a multi-bay wing cellule will get it stiff enough. That interplanes went right to the fuselage in this was one of the reasons i decided to take that route here. It is easier to get at the attachment points without the fuselage in the way.

One other situation I have found this useful in, though a bit OT here, is doing ICM Polikarpove i-15bis biplanes; the joints at the ends of the I-struts on these are very difficult to get clean, and can be dressed much more readily with the wings assembled separately.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 01:24:10 AM »
Decided to pile straight on in to the nose; there is a schedule (it must be done by 28 July), and best to bite the bullet and get on the truly tricky bits....

The cowling panels were removed on this machine to facilitate cooling, so the forward bit of the machine is bare structural members and motor, along with various plumbing bits. The first step was preparing the forward end of the fuselage...

After some consideration and a couple of false starts, I decided some major surgery was needed to get the transition to bare structures done right. I cut away everything in front of the passenger's cockpit opening down to the bottom of the fuselage, also removing temporarily the seat and tank it is perched on.

Reconstruction then began, the early stages of which are shown in the picture below. The bottom of the fuselage now serves as floor and the position of the tank and seat ensures that it will read correctly to the eye when you look into the cockpit opening (this is necessary because, as will be seen, the cockpit floor extends a bit into the bare structure area). The next step was to add the rest of the gravity tank, made of a piece of 3mm sheet, and then cheekpieces of 0.25mm sheet between this and the floor to fill in the fabric sides of the rest of the cockpit.

Things got a bit hectic here, and I have no transition pictures from the above to the state of play at present

You may notice that the section of the front of the gravity tank has changed. It was at this point that I noticed in the photograph I was looking to for structural details that the top of the tank was flat, not rounded. This has happened to me before; when looking at a picture for some specific information, other things in the picture do not always register. Fortunately, some excess plastic I had built into the fuselage allowed me to fix this without too much bother. The bottom piece of the fuselage I had made deliberately thick (1mm sheet), and the sides also (0.75mm). My intent had been to sand away excess on the bottom, and the fuselage was running, as anticipated, a bit tall and wide by measure. So I sanded down the top instead, and sanded the sides rather thoroughly, too. I had to do a bit of reconstruction on the very front of the passenger's cockpit opening, and some reinforcing here and there with CA gel, and the cockpit decking now awfully thin in spots, but better that then pulling the decking and re-doing it a third time. In sanding down the sides I destroyed the 0.25mm cheek-pieces, and had to replace them.
The bottom of the cowing remained intact on 822 (I suspect it is structural). The piece was cut from 0.75mm sheet,and bent to its curve. The accommodation for the passenger's feet was built up from 0.25mm sheet. The structural framework is 0.75mm square rod. Framework on the bottom was added first, and thinned down a good deal. The front-plate is 0.5mm sheet. The uprights on either side were added next, and then the top pieces bent and fastened to them, and the front-plate. Most of this was 'hot' work, on the model, with things trimmed as indicated by the look of the curves.

Next bit will be the engine. The backdrop in the last photo is of a Sunbeam Crusader(the proper motor for this, not the Nubian as often stated), preserved in the Brussels museum.

Offline radio

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 01:56:01 AM »
Pleasure update OM.
Martin

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 02:27:32 AM »
Know the problem about being in a hurry and forgetting to take photos on the way. Excellent description of excellent modelling. This is going to be another of your masterpieces I can see. Looking forward to more

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2014, 05:52:15 AM »
Moving forward quit well Oldman !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline IanB

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »
Nice save.
Funny how the actual modelling always seems to take precedence over pics!

Ian

Offline Old Man

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »
Thank you for the kind words, my friends.

A bit more progress here. Been sick with a bad summer cold for most of the past week, and so am a bit behind schedule, though I do still expect to get this done before the looming dead-line of July 28 over at Swanny's.

I have got the engine done up...

And the bearers constructed....

Pattern is conjectural, but I cannot think of any other reasonable arrangement. Length, and gap, are taken from the engine piece's measurements.

Here is the motor on the bearers....

(backdrop is a blow-up of a Sunbeam advertisement circa 1914)

Next will be putting surface detail on fuselage, painting, mounting motor, plumbing and tail surfaces....

Offline radio

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »
Stunning work Old Man.
Martin

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 07:39:46 AM »
Very good engine - I especially like the detail and am looking forward to seeing the plumbing added. What did you make the engine from?

As usual your modelling standards leave me agog. Brilliant.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 11:27:46 AM »
Looking good Oldman  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Old Man

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »
Thank you, my friends.

What did you make the engine from?

The main parts are from heavy sheet. The block is 3mm sheet, the cylinder banks, and the 'side-valve' element, are made from 2mm sheet, but were sanded down towards 1.5mm. The shaft gear 'cone' is from 2.5mm tube. The rest is various applique from sheet and rod.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »
Nice progress OM. Very interesting and informative build. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...