Author Topic: Pfalz DIII / DIIIa 1/48 Group Build After Build  (Read 27541 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Pfalz DIII / DIIIa 1/48 double build
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 04:59:29 AM »
Some nice accessories to make things easier, there, Antonio! I do like the black spiral... Regards, Marc
Yes Monty, I also have purchased a couple of jars of GERMAN PFALZ SILBERGRAU MISTER KIT  GC17 for the DIIIa.
I am a bit worried by the black spiral, but will manage it in some way.

Antonio

The spiral isn't easy but not as hard as most think. I am attaching a link to my old build of the WNW kit. The only thing I would do differently now is use Tamiya tape for curves. The old tape was much more difficult to get around curves. Best of luck on your effort and I hope this helps!
RAGIII

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=6115.120
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 06:05:26 PM »
Thanks Rick, I had already your link in my notepad, very inspiring and indeed helpful!

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 08:18:58 PM »
Hallo everybody, I did not forget this GB, I continue to nibble at the other life few hours now and then...
Here are some pics I took from time to time:

The BLUE MAX fuselage has a very thick wall, and it's really uneven. I decided to keep it as it is, just had to remove that weird bun inside the nose.

The right half shows the horrible clump, on the left one it has been already removed.

Decisions had to be taken on the engines:

This photo shows the BLUE MAX engine and some resin details from the BLACK DOG set.
I decided to use these pieces plus a couple of pieces from the EDUARD kit.

Here you see the full PAVLA engine plus the details. I will use it for the EDUARD kit and will use the exhaust tube from the kit (light grey piece here).

The exhaust of the BLACK DOG set has a hole on the tip of the tube (left) the EDUARD one (right) was full and I had to dig a bit in it.

I decided to build the interiors structure of the cockpit in both the planes, also because there is nothing in any of the kits.
So I found a schema, reduced it to 1/48 and am using it to rebuild the internal frames piece to piece

Thisis the BLUE MAX fuselage, I had to glue some plasticard to hold the plan where the engine will stay and traced the position of frames G (behind the seat) and D (behind the engine)

Same for the EDUARD fuselage, here they casted the vertical and horizontal frames, I had to file them off but tried to leave at least the tace of their positions that, according to my documentation, is fair enough acceptable.

Here are pieces D and G for both the kit, they were cut from a 0,5 mm plasticard sheet and filed until they allowed the two alves to lock.
The BLUE MAX are totally different from the original drawings, the EDUARD pieces are fully compatible, I just had to file away a few plastic from the external edges (I guess because of the thickness of the molded plastic)

The wooden plan holding the engine: the EDUARD piece and a piece built by me, the BLUE MAX kit did not supply any piece to hold the engine.

Here is a dry fit of the engine with the related pieces.

I drilled the two air intakes that are on the plane cheeks, both the kit have them "close"

Here is where I am at today: Engine and bearer painted and glued.

That's all for today!!!!

Thanks for watching

Antonio

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »
You are doing some outstanding work on these two builds Antonio! Your engine and exhausts are coming out quite nicely. The bulkheads and formers are turning out great and I am looking forward to seeing the completed interior structures!
RAGIII

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 11:55:06 PM »
Antonio, you are doing an excellent work with making two old kits into good models. I'm looking forward to your next progress int this double build.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 01:10:23 AM »
Thanks Rick and Giuseppe for stopping by and commenting...
I'm going on with cockpit "wood"work

Offline xan

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 02:29:59 AM »
Very interesting Andonio!
I have two PFALZ too, so I fallow your post with very high interest!
The blue max seems to be nicer at the end, but both are very acceptable...

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 03:02:46 AM »
Thank you Xan, the BM fuselage has good and crisp details on the external but inside is really a tragedy! It has a very limited number of pieces.
The engine is fair enough but it's too small in my opinion, and its details are cast in white metal which I don't like at all.
The Eduard is good, well finished and has all the pieces you need to have a good build, the engine is very similar to the BM but at a slightly lower level, that's why I took the pavla resin engine which is really good.

As far as the cockpit details are concerned, both the kits are inadequate.

That's a kind of challenge I like, although it slows further my slowness! :-O

Antonio
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 05:34:33 PM by andonio64 »

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2019, 11:59:48 PM »
Hallo guys, I have a small update: the restoration of the cockpits goes on, here are a couple of pics that show the state of the art.

BLUE MAX DIIIa

EDUARD DIII

In both cases I had to file out some pieces of the engine to let it fit into the fuselage...

I hope to sit longer at the bench during the weekend...

Thanks for watching

Antonio

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2019, 01:56:45 AM »
Both are coming along quite nicely Antonio! The engines look great in place.
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2019, 09:37:43 AM »
Both are coming along great with the details  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2019, 08:20:08 PM »
Thanks Rick and Terri, I'm working at the moment on completing the internal framework of the DIIIa

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 04:11:40 AM »
Andonio I have missed this until now - (as I have missed many others!). Is this a restoration job or just a reclaimation of two decent models from not very promising starts? Looking at these I am pleased that I only scratch build - it is easier!!

Both are looking very good and as usual two very fine models are now in the making - albeit with only a little help from the manufacturers.

Stephen.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »
Thank you Stephen for stopping by and commenting.
Yes I had these two kits in my stash and decided to turn them into models, as far as the Blue Max one is concerned it appears just like a plastic "suggestion", then it's up to the builder to achieve something acceptable.
The Eduard one is a kit I am fond of, it was a donation of Rob Hart (from Swanny's) who was the one suggesting me to contact Des and join this beautiful forum.
That's why I decided to dedicate it to Des' memory.

The Eduard kit is indeed a "baseline" kit, but it is a good quality and moreover leaves much less than the Blue Max one to the builder goodwill!

Antonio

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 08:50:44 AM »
You have opted for a hard job on these... So much different from WNW :)
Very fine work all around, looking forward to see more of it.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.