Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1:32 scale - Sopwith Triplane  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Wingnut Wings 1:32 scale - Sopwith Triplane
« on: July 01, 2016, 10:12:37 PM »
Hi all,
I've been asked several modellers if I would create a build log for my next build, which is the WNW Sopwith Triplane.

I thought I might try something different in that most build logs are only available from the web site hosting that build log.  This means if any modellers want to use the build log during their particular builds, they need to keep visiting the web site where the build log is located and open it each time they wish to refer to it.

Most PC users can open and read a PDF documents, using free Adobe readers.  So my idea is to create my build log as a PDF colour document, which can be dowloaded by anyone and then opened on their PC, as and when they want to refer to it, rather than having to go on-line and log-in to a web site build log.

I shouldn't cut down web site visits for the web masters, as the PDF would still need to be linked from the site concerned.

Anyway, I've started my Sopwith Triplane build log and uploaded it (using hosting server used for my wife's cake site) - it's OK as I pay for it anyway  ;)

Here's the download link, if anyone want's to try it out - constructive feed back/comments are welcome.

HERE

For those interested, please remember the build log will be updated regularly as I progress through the build and will include the display base and ground work/figures etc.

Mike

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:49:14 PM by sandbagger »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Re: Wingnut Wings 1:32 scale - Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 12:27:01 AM »
Hi mike, thanks for sharing this, I am interested because I have a 1/32 tripe (roden) to build and your build log can be of inspiration.
Where is it possible to see your WIP other than downloading periodically the updated pdf?

Thanks!

Antonio

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 02:29:31 AM »
Hi Antonio
I've only just started this build so I'm only at the cockpit preparation stage - the cockpit and engine always take the most time. So as yet I don't have any photos to show - however that was my intention - to have all of the build photos and associated build text in the build log so it is a complete guide to building the Tripe.

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 02:48:10 AM »
Nicely presented, Mike. I'm going to enjoy following your build in this unique format. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 09:30:55 AM »
Very well done Mike, I will be following along intently.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 05:56:08 PM »
Hi Antonio
I've only just started this build so I'm only at the cockpit preparation stage - the cockpit and engine always take the most time. So as yet I don't have any photos to show - however that was my intention - to have all of the build photos and associated build text in the build log so it is a complete guide to building the Tripe.

Thanks Mike for the reply.
I join our friends in the appreciation of your presentation.

Antonio

Offline Tankerman

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 09:06:05 PM »
My compliments to you Mike, for presenting your build log in this format. I do like it.

Chris

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »
Nice start, Mike!  I will be following along as well. :D  We haven't
had a Tripe build here for some time...great to see, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 10:52:52 PM »
Hi all,
Although the build log, in PDF format, is available for reading or downloading, I thought I'd post a few shots of progress so far.

Here's the download link, if anyone want's to try it out - constructive feed back/comments are welcome.

HERE

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:50:02 PM by sandbagger »

Online rhwinter

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 12:34:34 AM »
WOW, fantastic!!!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 01:08:15 AM »
Very nice! I really like the results you've achieved on the rigging; the terminals and fittings are very cleanly finished and the frame bracing is beautifully represented. Your detailing is really "top drawer", a real winner in the making!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 04:34:16 AM »
Your techniques used on the wood make for a very nice darker wood finish. I love the look! Your control and cross bracing rigging is looking very nice!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 09:20:44 AM »
The Sopwith Tripe is one I missed out on. Following your progress. Although the wood effect you have achieved is very good, I'm wondering how the dark tone will work inside the dark cockpit interior. If I manage to get a Tripe someday, I will opt for a lighter color so that it is more visible.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 07:33:17 PM »
Yes the darker wood finish may not show up as much as a lighter wood colour but then once the cockpit in enclosed by the fuselage and cockpit decking you'll not see much of the interior anyway. Some modellers leave out this sort of detail for just that reason, but I prefer to add it as at least I know its there :)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 08:50:29 PM »
You have done a superb job with the wood colours and the rigging inside the cockpit is brilliant, you have a great eye for detail.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com