Author Topic: Breguet 14 Scissors and Planes 1/100 - Brigada Militar do Rio Grande do Sul  (Read 3781 times)

Offline gomidefilho

Hello my friends!

I will try to start documenting some examples of mini-modeling using Scissors and Planes models and models from other editors.

We start with the Breguet 14, one of the most efficient bombers of the  World War I

The cool thing about the Breguet 14 is that it has a square fuselage and a large number of struts and cables, making it a good multidisciplinary exercise to begin with.

We start with a study of the pieces and the general cut of the pieces. It is important to say that my projects are printed on offset paper (filecoat) in Brazil called "Sulfite" with a weight of 120g (for friends who use imperial system 32 lb).

The main pieces were cut with the tabs separated and glued to the back. Before that we painted the corners, the method used this time was with Faber-Castell markers.

Measure to glue the tabs to the back to ensure a clean join between the fuselage sections.

I took advantage of the momentum, and also cut 2 and 3mm cardboard slats with my guillotine, they serve as reinforcements for wings and laminations.

These bars are important because alignment in biplane aircraft is essential to avoid compromising the project.

Continue...

Offline gomidefilho

Before start building I make a depron jig. This base, as shown in the photograph of Hawker Horsley, is used for gluing and aligning the interplanes in a biplane, it is a very useful homemade tool. My depron bases (depron is the Brazilian name for the high-density foam used in food packaging in general) are either bought in stationery stores and fine art stores, or come from pizza protection bases (which I and the wife usually orders every Saturday for dinner). It is a versatile material, in general my depron cuts are made with specific electric heat tools. I use cardboard and various other materials to make jigs, but in general depron is the most versatile.

We took advantage and separated the documentation that we will use to create the Breguet 14. An important thing about scale modeling is that research is part of the hobby and helps with the precision and fidelity of the finished model. Considering that most Scissors and Planes models do not have instructions, a good study of photographs of the real plane and scale plans will help a lot in construction.

In the next post a a brief history about this "esoteric" Breguet 14 user in South America.  8)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Sweet!  I am taking notes as I've just been bitten by the Paper and Scissors bug too.  You are a master at the smaller scale so I've got my popcorn and will hopefully be able to build a decent one soon!

Looks great so far...Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
I don't know if I could face a kit this small in paper/card but I'm also excited to follow along!
Zac in NZ

Offline gomidefilho

Thank you my friends, I hope I don't disappoint with this project. My intention is to demonstrate some papermodelling techniques that can also be useful for modelers of other media, and I have been waiting for a step by step guide on this very rich forum.  ;D

Offline gomidefilho

Before starting the actual construction of the Breguet XIV, I had said that it was for an unusual user. I think the time has come to talk about it. The BM-1 is one of two Breguet XIVs employed by the Military Brigade of the State of Rio Grande do Sul in the second Federalist Revolution of 1923.

The history of Brazil is extremely complex, and particularly bloody between the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century, marked by numerous civil conflicts, which generally rebelled against state or federal authorities.

In general, the causes and reasons stem from disputes over land, over power between elites of one political group or another, or through social differences and income concentration.

Practically all the states of Brazil had conflicts, the bloodiest being the Canudos revolt (1897) in the state of Bahia, and the federalist revolutions in Rio Grande do Sul state (1898 and 1923), the first revolution being known as the "war of the sticking". ", since the opponents did not take prisoners and cut each other's throats.

A general reason for all these conflicts was the transition via coup that overthrew the Brazilian monarchy (which was actually the Portuguese that fled Portugal when Napoleon invaded this country) and divided the ruling classes in the country. The Republic installed from 1889 followed the molds of the USA (It is not by chance that the old name of Brazil is "Republic of the United States of Brazil"), the difference is that the states had some power prerogatives that should belong to the government federal government, including having army-level security forces and coining its own money.

These military troops formed second-line armies that had a dual purpose: they functioned as both a police force and a defense force for the state. It should be said that these institutions still exist in Brazil and are the country's overt police forces at the state level.

In general, these civil conflicts like the federalist revolutions were local wars within the states where these forces with heavy weapons faced local warlords, in general, ranchers with small private armies, the federal government only intervened with the regular army if the conflict exceeded the state and occurred in more units of the federation.

I'm not going to abuse historical information, but the 1923 conflict, the second federalist revolution, took place due to the dispute over the state's political power, where a part of the state's agrarian elite accused the other of rigging the election (which actually happened, since the governor at the time (Borges de Medeiros) had been in power since 1905, holding elections that were census-based and open).

The revolt was crushed because the Brigada Militar create by Borges de Medeiros was equipped with modern weapons from remnants of the World War I, that easily reached Rio Grande do Sul via Paraguay and Argentina (this first country was also in civil upheaval at the time), among them two Breguet XIV planes that created one of the first police air services in all of latin america and were used in combat. But that part of the story goes a little further when I have already started something of the model.

This year in December the Federalist Revolution celebrates its 100 year old anniversary, of the civil wars in Brazil before 1930 it is very interesting, and for Brazil in general it is extremely important, because its thought, influence the end of the so-called "Old Republic, or Café com Leite Republic" and creates a truly "modern" Brazil. But it is not the scope of our forum, although I will still explain about the Brigada Militar and its aerial operations in 1923 with the two Breguet 14s.

Regarding the Breguet 14, there are few photos and little information about the Brigada Militar aircraft, which is known that one of them was a military one, version A2 that was used until it literally fell. The second machine was never clear whether it was a T or GR version (the Brigada Militar documentation about 1923 revolution was lost in a fire in the 90s). Therefore, the safest option is to represent BM1. The colors are not known for sure, but there is a consensus that the plane had natural dope from the factory.  ::)

Offline gomidefilho

Well friends!

We resume the construction of the Breguet 14 of the Military Brigade of the State of Rio Grande do Sul, I have already covered here in the thread all the initial historical aspects of this unusual version of this classic French bomber. With the model at a more advanced stage of construction, we will continue the approaches that historically contextualize it.

With this study carried out, we scored the pieces with a blunt blade from a No. 11 surgical scalpel.

We then prepare the gluing of the segments, for gluing I always use clamps with locks or crossed, often the pieces can have slopes or segments, in these cases I always start gluing with the section with the largest area.

Here we see the fuselage segments all finished. By far the most complex piece to bend and form is the engine on its lower back, which has a triple curvature with three gluing segments, one of which is quite small. Note that the segments are composed, that is: the bottom of the fuselage and the sides form a box but the back has a curvature. It is made by forming the paper in an EVA rubber cochin and a metal needle or rod.

The plated cockpits will be opened when the assembly of the fuselage is completed, I'm wondering if I'll make a shadow box in them or a mock cockpit to be installed, still studying.  ;)

Offline Davos522

Just catching up on this thread, beautiful work and I was fascinated by the history lessons you've included! Looking forward to following along.

Um abraço,

Dutch

Glorious!!!!

Dan

Offline gomidefilho

Many thanks my friends! I resume the build soon!

Offline Gene K

Re: Breguet 14 Scissors and Planes 1/100 - Brigada Militar do Rio Grande do Sul
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2023, 09:45:34 PM »
My intention is to demonstrate some papermodelling techniques that can also be useful for modelers of other media ... .

I really appreciate your doing this tutorial on -- I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

Looks like you're layering the Depron for your construction base. What is the final thickness?

Also, could you explain, please what a "EVA rubber cochin" is, please?

Gene K
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 09:53:01 PM by Gene K »

Offline gomidefilho

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2023, 05:15:58 AM »
Right away I built the Breguet XIV fuselage, without any major alignment problems.

Now let's prepare the fuselage to receive the lower wing reinforcement structures and shadow boxes to simulate the cockpits. Note that the gluing tabs being detached and glued from behind help to reduce the steps between the fuselage segments.

Offline gomidefilho

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2023, 06:27:18 AM »
My intention is to demonstrate some papermodelling techniques that can also be useful for modelers of other media ... .

I really appreciate your doing this tutorial on -- I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

Looks like you're layering the Depron for your construction base. What is the final thickness?

Also, could you explain, please what a "EVA rubber cochin" is, please?

Gene K

About Depron: It depends a lot on the shape and destination of the jig. In general, depron is a household material that, as it comes from packaging (in most cases food), instead of going to waste, I reuse it. The lamination is so that my needles, pins and other devices can be deeply attached. because in general the Styrofoam that comes from these packages is 3 to 5 mm thick.

About EVA cochin:

It is a base that is used by artisans in the area of ​​confectionery and biscuit sculpture. This base is basically used to make curves in the paper without breaking the fiber. For scratchbuilders I think it could be used to mark ribs on wings made with 0.05 or 0.010 plastic sheets.

Offline Gene K

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 10:45:43 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Gene K

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2023, 07:23:21 AM »
Neat and clean!  Loving this and taking notes.

Dan "New to 1/100th" Smith  ::)