Author Topic: Frosty Greetings from Anchorage, Alaska  (Read 1371 times)

Offline NMLeonov

Frosty Greetings from Anchorage, Alaska
« on: December 12, 2023, 05:23:38 PM »
Hello WWI aircraft modellers! My name is Nick, age 26, and I'm currently a graduate student in Anchorage. I'm ready to get to work during this Christmas break on the WNW Rumpler C.IV Early model I foolishly thought I'd have time to work on between writing papers this semester...  ;)

Besides my childhood creations, I took up plastic modelling as one of my 'adult' hobbies on March 9, 2018 when I set to building a vintage Revell Morane-Saulnier Type N in 1/72 scale. Since then, I have built both aircraft and terrestrial models, but have found my interests steadily drifting towards subjects from WWI and the Russian Civil War. I truly love the design and intricacy of these early fighting machines. I do not necessarily think of myself as a beginner in this hobby although I know I have much to learn. After all, have you seen the prices on those Centennial Perspective books by Jack Herris and Colin Owers? Haha.

I also post on Britmodeller under the same username, but the WWI builds are easily lost in the flurry of other brilliant works in their ready for inspection section. So if you'll have me, I am most excited to be part of this special interest group that honors the pioneers of combat aviation and their majestic steeds of wood, wire and canvas. I look forward to sharing my creations with you very soon!

'Till it's over "over there,"

Nick.

Offline Radarman

Re: Frosty Greetings from Anchorage, Alaska
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 09:37:03 PM »
Welcome Nick,
I look forward to seeing your work.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Davos522

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 12:59:28 AM »
Hi Nick, welcome to the group! A better, more helpful bunch you're not likely to find on the Interweb, in my experience.

And it's especially great to see someone your age interested in WWI/IPA (Immediate Post-Armistice... I think I just made that acronym up :) ) subjects... a lot of us worry about the fact that few younger people are being attracted to modeling in general—let alone our particular form of madness.

And good luck with the winter thing... I'm in New England, which is bad enough... but Anchorage?? Yikes!

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 06:27:16 AM »
I'm not 100% sure I was the youngest member at 36, but I have a feeling you definitely are! Welcome aboard Nick, it's great to have you and I'm excited to see your Rumpler (and Morane if you have pics to share).
Zac in NZ

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 02:39:32 AM »
Welcome to the best modelling forum in our little world Nick! As a fairly close neighbor (Northern Alberta Canada) I certainly understand the relationship between a Winter break and optimum hobby time! looking forward to your contributions here and seeing your work.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 02:41:18 AM »
Welcome aboard!
You picked a bit of a dud (MS Type N) to start with if you want accuracy but fair credit for getting it done!
I'm also on Britmodeller and post as Brandy, so I look forward to seeing your work there too!