Author Topic: Fokker D.VII in USAS Markings  (Read 2259 times)

Offline fredjocko

Fokker D.VII in USAS Markings
« on: July 25, 2020, 01:32:17 AM »
Hi:

Its been awhile since I have posted anything. I'm glad to see I am still a member. I started this build a long time ago and I finished it during the Covid shutdown. After WWI the USAS, USN, and USMC received several D.VII's as war prizes and evaluations. My example is P127 operated by the USAS. Thank you for looking, Carl

Offline smperry

Re: Fokker D.VII in USAS Markings
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 01:58:20 AM »
A nice change from seeing D.VIIs in German liveries. Did they recover the machine or just slap a coat of OD over the loz?
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 02:05:30 AM »
A nice change from seeing D.VIIs in German liveries. Did they recover the machine or just slap a coat of OD over the loz?
sp

Good question. I have seen pictures of the planes in lozenge with no German crosses. Some aircraft were fitted with six cylinder Liberty engines so they may have been recovered in new doped linen.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 07:59:00 AM »
excellent!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
Really nice job Carl , must say she does like cool in her chosen livery  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 11:18:39 AM »

Terri

Thank you. It does look different without the lozenge. I wish I could find more info on the ones used by the Navy and Marines.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 11:19:12 AM »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »
sp

I agree with SP. Nicely done in a livery we don't often see modelled! Beaautiful work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Old Man

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 05:37:52 PM »

Terri

Thank you. It does look different without the lozenge. I wish I could find more info on the ones used by the Navy and Marines.

The Navy at the time was deciding what machines to employ on turret platforms (short runs of temporary decking on battleship turrets that allowed a machine to take off more or less safely). A great many sorts were tried, Camels, Strutters, N.28 among others were actually employed. The Navy took a dozen crated Fokker D.VIIs with an eye towards testing them for such use. Nothing came of it. Six were passed off to the Marines, and two were assembled and flown from Brown Field at Quantico. These were flown by two pilots of 3rd Squadron, 2nd Lt. Sanderson and 1st Lt. Rogers. It is not clear if these Fokkers were actually regarded as operational equipment, they do not appear to be armed in photographs. Lts. Sanderson and Rogers were sent out in 1922 to a Marine squadron in Santo Domingo, and in fairly short order after they departed Quantico, both Marine Fokkers were wrecked, with at least one fatality. One of them is reportedly still in the mud at the bottom of the river bordering Brown Field.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/viewtopic.php?f=644810&t=491628&p=2574292&hilit=fokker+d.vii+1922#p2574292

Offline smperry

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 06:18:18 PM »
I saw one hanging in the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. It was done up in German livery and markings of some Ace I don't recall, so it is either a restoration or a replica. If a restoration, could it originally have been one of ones the Navy got after the war?

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 08:35:03 PM »
I saw one hanging in the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. It was done up in German livery and markings of some Ace I don't recall, so it is either a restoration or a replica. If a restoration, could it originally have been one of ones the Navy got after the war?

sp

I spoke to a docent at the USNAM about that aircraft and he said it wasn’t one of the aircraft originally given to the Navy. If it was that would have been really cool.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 08:47:51 PM »

Terri

The Navy at the time was deciding what machines to employ on turret platforms (short runs of temporary decking on battleship turrets that allowed a machine to take off more or less safely). A great many sorts were tried, Camels, Strutters, N.28 among others were actually employed. The Navy took a dozen crated Fokker D.VIIs with an eye towards testing them for such use. Nothing came of it. Six were passed off to the Marines, and two were assembled and flown from Brown Field at Quantico. These were flown by two pilots of 3rd Squadron, 2nd Lt. Sanderson and 1st Lt. Rogers. It is not clear if these Fokkers were actually regarded as operational equipment, they do not appear to be armed in photographs. Lts. Sanderson and Rogers were sent out in 1922 to a Marine squadron in Santo Domingo, and in fairly short order after they departed Quantico, both Marine Fokkers were wrecked, with at least one fatality. One of them is reportedly still in the mud at the bottom of the river bordering Brown Field.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/viewtopic.php?f=644810&t=491628&p=2574292&hilit=fokker+d.vii+1922#p2574292

When I first started working on this I wanted to do an USMC aircraft so I spoke to the historians in Pensacola and Quantico. They didn’t have much to say and the pictures they had were ones I had already seen. The testing of the aircraft launching off the gun turrets is a very neat story. Sanderson and Rogers were interesting characters.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 03:25:44 AM »
Very nice model, and in unusual markings which adds a lot of bonus to it. Is it 72nd scale Roden?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 04:03:56 AM »
Very nice model, and in unusual markings which adds a lot of bonus to it. Is it 72nd scale Roden?

Thank you. I’m sorry I guess I should have included it’s Wingnut Wings’ 1/32 Early Fokker and used the louver cowling pieces from a previous built OAW kit.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 08:01:52 AM »
The overall OD scheme sets it apart from most and shows the clean lines of the  DVII--Nice Build !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.