Author Topic: Albatros Prints/Dave Douglass  (Read 3720 times)

Offline BLOWHARD

• Great War In The Air - Dave Douglass Gallery
Albatros Prints/Dave Douglass
« on: March 23, 2013, 03:18:51 AM »
That's me :)  Hi guys, Des suggested that I post this here.

I've got prints available at two different places:
http://www.bravobravoaviation.com (see "The Golden Age" section)
and
http://www.aviationgraphic.com/ (http://www.aviationgraphic.com/cerca?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=Dave+Douglass)
Both have very reasonable prices and are very reliable.
Currently I only have a few D.V and D.Va profiles available but I'll be putting up more D.V, D.Va, D.III and D.II prints. 
I'm working on the Halberstadt CL.II right now but it's not 100% ready yet.

I've also got A6M Zero prints available-

http://www.bravobravoaviation.com (see "World War 2" section)
DAVE IPMS 16124

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Albatros Prints/Dave Douglass
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 04:43:05 AM »
Excellent stuff, Dave.  Any chance of getting that Halberstadt someday?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline WillScarlet

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 04:55:32 AM »
  Dave, VERY NICE! Just curious, for the sake of accuracy in modeling, were there a "standard" number of laminations in a prop., and were the numbers different with different makers?

Will   :-\

Offline BLOWHARD

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »
Thanks guys :)

Bud, sure, the CL.II will be ready sometime soon, I hope this year.  I'm still trying to hunt down some details.  I guess it mostly depends on when I feel comfortable with it.  I'll let you know as soon as it's ready :)

Hey Will, you picked a weak spot in my profiles.  From what I can see, Axial used 5 and 7 laminations on Albatros props.  At least on the ones you can count.  I think 5 is more usual.  There is at least one prop on the WnW website that has 7.  I've seen Astras with both 7 and 9 laminations on Albatrosen.  No idea on Garuda.  The weak spot in the profiles is that all mine have 7 laminations despite the kind of propeller.  I hope that doesn't mean I'm a bad artist :p  :)
I've never really studied them in depth though.
DAVE IPMS 16124

Offline WillScarlet

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »
  Dave, wasn't trying to find a weak spot  ;D and I would never have caught it anyway. Doing seven or nine laminations (even in 1/32 scale) is a little too fine for me, so I guess MY weak spot will be five lams. in everything.  :-X  Anything more than that and I'll have to go with real wood!  ;D

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
Doug Craner makes excellent laminated wood propellers  http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1127.0  and uses 6 - 8 laminations, he uses original propeller data so he must have it correct.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline WillScarlet

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
Thanks Des, I sent him an e-mail.

Will

Offline BLOWHARD

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »
Hey Will, I did think your question was innocent and no problem even if it wasn't :)
I did come across a field report of the Albatros that ended up in the Australian War Museum, it had a nine lamination Garuda prop.
I probably should do more research on these, especially the shapes when viewed from the side.
DAVE IPMS 16124

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »
I went to the Australian War Museum last year and had a look at the Albatros, she's a bit rough around the edges and very poorly lit making photo taking very difficult, but it is an original aircraft.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline BLOWHARD

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 05:13:02 AM »
I may have to do a profile of it Des.  I do have several good photos of it plus Bob Waugh's beautiful drawings of it. :)
DAVE IPMS 16124

Offline BLOWHARD

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »
New stuff is up at AvaiationGraphics, D.Vs, D.Vas, D.IIIs and D.IIs-
http://www.aviationgraphic.com/cerca?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=Albatros
DAVE IPMS 16124

Offline BLOWHARD

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »
Here is one for you Des :)
DAVE IPMS 16124

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »
Dave,

just two small remarks on your profiles:

On the "Blaue Maus", the name of Frommherz is spelled wrong (wrongly? incorrect? whatever - tha name is not right). It should be "Frommherz" instead of "Frommhearz", maybe you cold change that?

And I have seen that all your JaSta Boelcke-related Profiles have a header of "Königlich Preußische Jagdstaffel Nr.2", which is correct, technically speaking, but following Boelcke's death, on December 10th 1916 his JaSta was renamed to honour him. From that date on it was only known as "JaSta B" and always shown as that in records. Maybe you could change that as well?

I know these are minor issues, but I would really like to buy the Boelcke-related profiles.  8)

Please don't take any offence.

Kindest regards,
Stefan

Offline BLOWHARD

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 04:31:41 AM »
Thanks Stefan.  The "Frommhearz" name is a mistake on my part :(  I guess I can't type herz without wanting to make it into another word :p
I had thought the Jasta B was an honorary name and the Jasta still retained it Jasta 2 designation.  Please let me look into that  I will find out if I can make those changes.  I think they should be easy to do.

Would this be more correct?  Königlich Preußische Jagdstaffel Nr.2 "Boelcke"
DAVE IPMS 16124

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 03:58:52 AM »
Dave,

your proposal would be a little bit better, but still not correct, unfortunately. The correct designation after Dec 1916 would be

Königlich Preußische Jagdstaffel "Boelcke", without the number 2.

I have checked with Georg Neumann's "Die gesamten deutschen Luftstreitkräfte im 1. Weltkrieg", and he always refers to Jagdstaffel Boelcke, abbreviated to "JaSta B". As Neumann was KoGenLuft, I really doubt he would write that specific designation down incorrectly, because JaSta B was the only Jagdstaffel to be given a Name. Jagdgeschwader Nr. 1 "Richthofen" was a) a Jagdgeschwader and not a single Staffel, and b) always kept it's number in addition to the name.

(This is why JG2 Richthofen of WW2 was called JG2, as it was the second Jagdgeschwader with the honorary name of MvR.)

Regards,
Stefan