WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Under Construction

Roden's 1/32 S.E.5a (Wollseley Viper) - Grinnell-Milne's 'Schweinhund'

(1/36) > >>

Chris Johnson:
To get things started here on the forum, I'm going to post a build log on the Roden 1/32 S.E.5a in the distinctive markings of 'Schweinhund', as flown by Duncan Grinnell-Milne shortly after Armistice Day, 1918.

As you can see below, my references include the instruction booklet from the WnW S.E.5a kit as well as Datafile, Squadron and Osprey titles.

This will be my sixth rigged aircraft build since getting my feet wet in June 2011 and I have three new goals in my efforts to improve my aircraft models.

1) Detail the pulley inspection ports on both wings and tailplane.
2) Through careful masking, achieve sharp, straight demarcation lines between the top and underside colours, as appear on the underside edges of the wings and tailplane.
3) Employ the pastel technique for rib shading.

My first step was to hollow out the pulley inspection ports. As seen in the image below, I drilled out the centre sections and corners of each port to remove as much material as possible. Then I pared away the rest of the plastic with my hobby knife and files. Next step will be to block in the undersides of each port and add the pulley detail.

Thanks for looking and all constructive comments welcomed.

Cheers,

Chris

Des:
Excellent start Chris, with the scheme you have chosen you will end up with a very striking model. You have done a great job so far on the inspection ports, they will really look the part once the pulleys are fitted, looking forward to your next updates.

Des.

Dave W:
Excellent project Chris!

I'm very grateful to you for uploading this build project. I have the Roden kit in the stash with plans to also do the scheme you are doing.

It is very helpful to have someone show the way and highlight any issues. Des has been outstanding with his various Wingnut builds in guiding us through any hidden problems so I'm sure your SE5a build will be of immense help to fellow modellers.

Cheers and happy modelling

Dave W
Gold Coast
Australia

phs Paddy:
Hi Chris,
Good to see you’ve kicked things off with you SE.5a project. The work you’ve done on the pulley ports looks very good. Did you get a chance to pickup any of Vallejo’s Still Water for a possible clear filler for the inspection windows?

Anyway, I’ll sure be tagging along and watch you develop this beauty.

Paddy  :)

Rob Hart:
Nice work on the pulley ports. I'm trying to figure out how to do that on Roden's 1/48 kit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version