Author Topic: Ltn. z.S G. Sachsenberg's Fokker DVII  (Read 841 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Ltn. z.S G. Sachsenberg's Fokker DVII
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:14:36 AM »
   In starting some very basic information gathering on Gotthard Sachsenberg's DVII as shown in the Wingnut Wings Kit option #5 I've run into a rather large contradiction. WNW offer this option in the  Fokker Built DVII Kit with the Mercedes 200 HP DIIIau engine and the LMG 08/15 Spandaus on high mounts as for the higher BMW IIIa engine. Conversely all references to it in the Albatros Publications DVII Anthology Series depict it as a DVII F version with the BMW Engine and high gun mounts as was standard for the  BMW powered F Version. As an aside, all references to this machine in the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces Series label it as a 200 hp DIIIau powered DVII, not a DVIIF.
   Can anyone clear up this confusing info? I can see where it is possible that the WNW version of a Fokker Built machine had the DIIIau powerplant and the gun mounts were, for some reason the high version, however I have a great deal of faith in Albatros Publications, and tend to lean towards a "standard" DVIIF configuration as they portray.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Re: Ltn. z.S G. Sachsenberg's Fokker DVII
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 02:16:38 AM »
Lance.

Heres my thoughts after a little studying of the few images I can find ((Vol 3 of the anthology. Better copies of the same pics in the Manual)

It's Merc powered not BMW. Check out the exhaust manifold flanges. Not saying it didn't start out as a full F model but when that picture was captured it was Merc powered. The wing cross positions point to her being a Fok built plane.

It looks like hand cut louvres on the right cowl and premade ones that look bare aluminium attached to the left above behind the ground crew mans head pop riveted or bolted in place, Maybe even Albatros louvres borrowed. 

Note too the exhaust is different from that in the kit and the right panel is extensively cut away around it. It will be interesting to see how you approach this as the WNW structure will need some modifying to get the effect of the thin metal cowl over the tube frame to look *right*

My thoughts on the black stripes on the upper wing are that I've no idea why they're there, they're quite symmetrical though to my eye and not as ragged as WNW portray them (the second one looks more like dirt on the image than misshapen to my opinion. The dope/paint has abraded where the rear wing spar lies under it.

Just a few thoughts to add to the maelstrom of considerations in your mind Lance. But isn't this half the fun?

Keith

Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Ltn. z.S G. Sachsenberg's Fokker DVII
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:41:46 AM »
Keith,
   Many thanks for your thoughts and a few new "angles" on this little quandary. When you add all the points up it is almost irrefutably a Fokker Built Merc powered DVII. The beautiful clear photo of Sachsenberg and his dog on pg 56 of Vol. 3 refers to the aircraft as "his spectacular DVIIF" as does the Coloured Plate and info on Pages 34-35. The other two photos of the machine on pg55 refer to the aircraft as a Fokker Built DVII. It could easily be a simple error or a slip in the editing process.
   As for the louvres there is, IMHO, no standard layout(s) that we can really hang our hats on; once into the Field it was every and any layout that would work!
  The black rectangles appear to me as a glue, dope, or extra panels of fabric to prevent delamination during high speed dives or extreme manoeuvering. I read this theory, I believe, in the Instruction Booklet.
   You are right, this is half the fun of it. I'm still not sure if I will do this scheme, but the overall effect is very tempting! ;)
Cheers,
Lance