Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Strutter, A1083 45 Squadron  (Read 3333 times)

Offline NigelR

Roden 1/32 Strutter, A1083 45 Squadron
« on: February 09, 2024, 02:14:50 AM »
I've just started a slow and steady build of the Roden Strutter using the Aviattic decals and add-ons. Just working on the interior at present.

My subject aircraft has a CDL fuselage so the I attempted to emulate the roundels showing through on the interior. I sprayed the interiors white, sprayed the roundels (a little heavier than I intended) and then misted some white over the roundel to make it a bit less obvious. I should have gone a little heavier with this....  My circle cutter could not cut a small enough circle for the central red circle, so these are a bit wonky. Anyone know of any good circle cutters?

I painted the framing by hand. Although the supplied masks are very clever, I am better with a paintbrush than scissors and found painting the framing quite easy. I added a bit of pre-weathering as well.

I then applied the interior CDL decals (which are quite subtle over the white), added some rigging from EZ Line and added more weathering. Note I have added a flase floor from plasticard to cover up the join in the fuselage:

Finally here's the lovely resin instrument board which I spent too much time detailing. Although the supplied decals are nice, I used some Airscale ones which I have had in my stash for years.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Roden 1/32 Strutter, A1083 45 Squadron
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 03:51:28 AM »
Great start, Nigel. Like that see-through roundels.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Flik63J

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 05:36:20 AM »
That’s a gorgeous instrument panel Nigel………looking forward to seeing your build unfold.

David

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 05:36:05 PM »
Loving it so far Nigel.
That instrument panel is worthy of a display all by itself  :)

(Have a chat about roundel cutting tomorrow)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Online macsporran

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 07:14:20 PM »
Beautiful work, Nigel. That instr panel is wonderful.

As regards applying more white overspray on internal roundels I don't think you needed it. SimonCornes' detail shots from the RAF Museum Strutter show how strongly the roundels showed through (over in the Aircraft ref section.) Admittedly this is in a brightly lit hall but no brighter than outdoor sunshine.

Sandy

Offline NigelR

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 08:08:39 PM »
Thanks everyone, I'll post more updates over the coming weeks.

Have a chat about roundel cutting tomorrow
If in doubt - ask a professional signwriter! Will do, I hope you have some clever tools for me.....

As regards applying more white overspray on internal roundels I don't think you needed it. SimonCornes' detail shots from the RAF Museum Strutter show how strongly the roundels showed through (over in the Aircraft ref section.)
Thanks for this Sandy, it allows me to be happy with what I did. BTW, it was your build thread that alerted me to the need to do this, so many thanks for that as well!

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 07:01:03 AM »
Wow amazing start! I really like how the roundel is done on the inside.

Looking very much forward to this build  :)
//Ben

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 09:44:54 PM »
Brilliant work on that instrument panel Nigel.  I also agree that your interior paintwork looks great. Here is a link to a circle cutter I recently purchased on EBay.  It’s from DSPIAE, all aluminum construction, works great!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/296042075165?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=irezurfeqqk&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=GQ4-MqwKT9u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Tim

Offline NigelR

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 08:50:41 PM »
Brilliant work on that instrument panel Nigel.  I also agree that your interior paintwork looks great. Here is a link to a circle cutter I recently purchased on EBay.  It’s from DSPIAE, all aluminum construction, works great!
Thanks Tim, that circle cutter looks fantastic so I just ordered one.

Offline xan

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 06:48:54 PM »
Lovely Instrument board , very nice job!
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 11:39:10 PM »
A bit of progress here, slow as always...... I could do more on the interior but I am going to stop here as I don't want Schrodinger to get his hands on too much detail.

I cut a new front floorboard from plasticard based on the photos of the RAF Museum Strutter in the Datafile. I also used some HGW paper seatbelts for the first time and I have to say I wasn't that impressed, I definitely prefer photoetch. However, as I didn't have anything suitable in PE these will have to do.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 11:47:02 PM by NigelR »

Offline NigelR

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 04:18:41 AM »
And in an even bigger shock, I surprised myself and got a lot done this afternoon. Got the interior all buttoned up:

The Aviattic resin instrument panel and additional details are superb. It was quite easy to fit the instrument panel on the original Roden mountings, and I even managed to add the  teeny-tiny instrument lights (look carefully and you will spot them):

Things should proceed a bit more quickly now as it's decalling and gluing together all the big bits.....

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 06:28:59 AM »
Looking good Nigel. Shame all that lovely detail on the instrument panel will be lost from sight once the wing goes on  :(

Can't wait to see her all decalled up and ready

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline DaveB

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 07:08:09 AM »
Wow!

Nice work, Nigel.  Your cockpit looks amazing.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 10:01:19 PM »
Lovely looking interior!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.