Author Topic: 1/8 Scale Fokker Dr.1 Slow Build  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Davos522

Re: 1/8 Scale Fokker Dr.1 Slow Build
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2023, 10:53:02 AM »
I agree with Tim, that cylinder looks to be not much smaller than the fuselage of a 1:72 Dr.I. And great move deciding to duplicate the blog posts!

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2023, 06:41:32 PM »
And great move deciding to duplicate the blog posts!
Hear hear. Thank you for doing so!
Zac in NZ

Offline Butch Baker

• The Scale Model Hanger
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2023, 11:30:28 AM »
November 5, 2023

Things are progressing on the engine. I noticed the other night that I had forgotten to add the valve stem push rod. After some figuring I did manage to get them into each cylinder.

I used Milliput to add the milled out area's on the case detail. This was a tidiest little task indeed, should pretty convincing once painted. Once I finished the back of the engine, I took a break and started working on how to make the push rod inlets.

Made a jig and cut 9 inlets our of plastic tubing.

Once these were glued into place, I temporally installed the unit to the main case to see how the push rods etc. lined up to the cylinder's.
The push rods enter the lower case at angle as the rod ends up in the center of the case, this did not look right, so back to my resources.

If you look close you can see that the inlets are not dead center of cylinders and the exhaust ports are off center of the milled out case locations as well. This is what's causing the the push rod to enter the case at an angle.

I removed the positioning pin on the part so I could rotate it. With the case that contains the pushrod inlets rotated a few degrees to the left, everything lined up perfectly.

Just a few items that need to get tweaked and then all start laying some paint and bring this stage of the project to completion.
Blog: The Scale Model Hanger
https://thescalemodelhanger.blogspot.com/

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2023, 12:33:40 PM »
Sharp work, Butch!
Zac in NZ

Offline Davos522

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2023, 03:03:50 AM »
I知 really enjoying this thread, it's the modeling equivalent of a Cecil B. DeMille epic! Love seeing your process & decision-making as you go along.

Dutch

Offline NigelR

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2023, 07:40:09 PM »
Wow, there is some amazing attention to detail here. Very impressive......

Offline Butch Baker

• The Scale Model Hanger
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2023, 02:30:25 AM »
Been sometime since I posted anything, been sick with the dreaded RSV all of November. I did manage to keep moving forward on the model at a pretty slow pace. I left off at getting some items buttoned up so I could start painting. I use Tamiya paints for most of my painting needs. I will use some Alcad II paints overtop of the Tamiya to try and get the look I知 shooting for. I would like the motor to look somewhat combat weary but not filthy dirty in appearance. This will require layering of aluminum paints of various shades. To get the final look I will utilize pastel chalk and then seal coat the entire motor with a semi-gloss once I知 happy with it. I did get the engine painted to its final look on 12/2, so now I知 just finishing up adding the pushrods and spark plug wires as seen in the pictures below. Next up will be the Spandau machine guns, looking forward to working on a different aspect of the model!

Have added two of the pushrods so far, hope to finish the engine model this weekend so I can start the Spandau's.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 02:40:04 AM by Butch Baker »

Online kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2023, 02:42:30 AM »
Looking good.  I'm glad to see a build log here.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2023, 03:20:25 AM »
Glad to hear you won your match with RSV, Butch, I hear it's got a mean left hook.

That motor could pass for 1:1 quite easily, which of course is what we all strive for, but seldom achieve (speaking strictly for myself, of course, it seems to be a common occurrance on this forum)... looking forward to seeing what you accomplish with the LMG 08s!

Dutch

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2023, 07:20:34 AM »
That engine is a masterpiece! Will be fun to follow along  :)
//Ben

Offline Butch Baker

• The Scale Model Hanger
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2023, 06:09:06 AM »
Thanks AngryJazz for the complement, very much appreciated!

December 9, 2023

I finished up the Oberursel UR-2 rotary engine for the Triplane today. Feels good to have this build task completed; now I can move on to the Spandau痴 guns. The pushrods went into place perfectly and look pretty convincing, with that done I started to install the plug wires. I知 using ASK 0.3 lead wire for the plug wires, took me three tries to get the wires to look right. Once that was complete, I applied a coat of Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear to the motor and will set it aside as it awaits installation into the Fokker Dr.1. 

Ready to install the plug wires with all the pushrods installed.

First plug wire in place, think these should look pretty convincing.

Semi-Clear sprayed on the motor and this phase is done!

Fokker Dr.I (Part 3) Carburetor, Machine Gun Assembly

Getting the parts ready for the machine gun construction. The  carburetor was completed at the same time I did the Oberursel UR-2 rotary engine. Need to spend sometime looking over my books, photos and other resource material on Spandau machine guns to see how much detail I will add to them. The bullets look to be begging for some improvement, not sure how to tackle this yet, but this good be a fun improvement.

Offline Butch Baker

• The Scale Model Hanger
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2024, 03:16:57 AM »
Finally spend sometime on the machine guns, haven't worked on the model in a couple of months except a little here and there. Starting to get interested once again to make some progress. The first image shows the original construction of the machine gun handles setup, this appears not be correct. If you look at the second picture, this shows actual machine gun at a museum. The large handle was an invention the mechanics came up with to help the pilots clear gun jams and they apparently were all a little different in design. Since I have an actual picture of one, this is what all try and mimic on the model. I also spent sometime improving the gun site to look more authentic then a molded piece of plastic.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 03:21:53 AM by Butch Baker »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2024, 05:22:03 AM »
Lovely attention to detail, Butch!
Zac in NZ

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2024, 09:58:38 PM »
Wow!  Nothing more to say.   

Offline Beto

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2024, 04:47:45 PM »
Finally spend sometime on the machine guns, haven't worked on the model in a couple of months except a little here and there. Starting to get interested once again to make some progress. The first image shows the original construction of the machine gun handles setup, this appears not be correct. If you look at the second picture, this shows actual machine gun at a museum. The large handle was an invention the mechanics came up with to help the pilots clear gun jams and they apparently were all a little different in design. Since I have an actual picture of one, this is what all try and mimic on the model. I also spent sometime improving the gun site to look more authentic then a molded piece of plastic.

I hate to carry bad news, but the machine gun was correct as designed by Hasegawa. Early Spandaus (as used in the Dr.I) did not have the cocking handle present on later models (as in the D.VII) - I hope you can correct this without too much problems.