Author Topic: WW I movies & movie favourites  (Read 2575 times)

Offline GHE

WW I movies & movie favourites
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:52:15 PM »
Meine Herren !

I'd like to create a list on WW I movies with comments on them.

here is my list:

PATHS OF GLORY               Stanley Kubrick  1957
DIE STANDARTE                 Ottokar Kunze   1977
FOR KING AND COUNTRY   Joseph Losey     1964   
MY  BOY JACK                    Brain Kirk            2007
WAR HORSE                      Steven Spielberg 2011
ADMIRAL                           Andrej Krawtschuk 2008
THE LIGHTHORSEMEN       Simon Wincer      1987
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA      David Lean          1962
ACES HIGH                        Jack Gold             1967
DER ROTE BARON              Nikolai Müllerschön 2008
UN LONG DIMANCHE DE FIANCEILLES    Jean-Pierre Jeunet  2004
THE BLUE MAX                   John Guillermin   1966
THE SOMME BATTLE          Channel Four TV Group  2007
GALLIPOLI                         Peter Weir 1981
BENEATH HILL 60              Jeremy Sims  2010
THE SOMME BATTLE           Imperial War Museum  1916  UNESCO "Memory of the World"

viele Grüße, Gunther
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:08:10 PM by GHE »
LZeppelin rocks!

WarrenD

Re: WW I movies & movie favourites
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:49:17 AM »
West Front 1918  :)

No a/c in it at all, but the equipment, weapons, uniforms, etc. (even a St. Chammond tank!) are original, and it utilized German vets to a large degree.

Warren
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:27:59 AM by WarrenD »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
Men With Wings 1938

Takes in the birth of flying, through WW1 and up to 1938.

Des.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:01:19 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing that one Des, I must add it to my list.

Warren

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »
Don't leave out "The Blue Max", not an oldie nor classic but definitely my favorite.
Cheers,
Lance

mike in calif

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 12:33:37 PM »
Ursula Andress.... no, wait... The Blue max!
also, the lost battalion was pretty good also.

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
Paths of Glory (1957)- anti war flick loosely based on the French army mutinies - directed by Stanley Kubrick (with Kirk Douglas in the lead role as a French army officer).

A Very Long Engagement (2004) - French film about a woman searching postwar (war scenes are all flashbacks) for her fiancee who went missing on the Western Front - French with English subtitles - engaging story with many plot twists and gorgeous cinematography of the French countryside.

The Lighthorsemen (1987)-A movie about an Australian Cavalry unit in the middle east - the scene that sticks in my memory is when the Cavalry makes an epic charge on horseback across a vast expanse of open desert against a Turkish outpost. Very exciting.

The remake of All Quiet on the Western Front (1979)with the actor that played John Boy Walton playing Paul. Ernest Borgnine plays Katzinsky. Made for TV movie. Cheesy, but one of the few WWI movies made for mass consumption by a US audience since the 1930s.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:31:56 PM by Rob Hart »

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 11:27:34 PM »
Paths of Glory for me too.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline GHE

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 12:46:56 AM »
Hello Rob !

Both films are very good!
 Stanley Kubrick's film is of course not so good when it comes to equipment but shows the sometimes
technocratic thinking of the high brass; when I saw the film first in the 1970's the closing sequence with credits announced
the nations where the film was not allowed (!) to be shown- all Nato states, Switzerland etc. joined in - strange thing.

The historic General Nivelle indeed  was a rude man and his rudeness towards his own soldiers made the brave& patriotic french Poilus angry, the mutiny followed.

A Very Long Engagement  (Marianne- The Story of a great Love - the German title) with the well known french actress A.Tautou
has very well made (!!) historic trench sequences and an Albatross-sequence.
It shows the sad but historic proven fact that the French Army did not to shoot "cowards" or those with self-inflicted wounds , but
sent them into no-man's land unarmed to meet their death there.
The revenge of the other woman on some ex-Poilus in that story is based on that fact.

What struck me in 2004 where the very good trench scenes- not cheap done interludes as in former films, but well researched!

Highly recommended

The Light Horse Men  and  Im Westen nichts Neues are still impressing films and highly recommended!! , too.

viele Grüße, Gunther GHE
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:31:34 AM by GHE »
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline Checkers67

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 12:23:45 PM »
"All's Quiet on the Western Front" and "Blue Max"

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 05:07:41 AM »
'Nother vote for "Paths of Glory." Having seen the film some years ago, I never thought that senior commanders could be so ruthless. However, I've just finished reading a book entitled "The White War," which covers the Italian front, 1915-19. How the Italian senior commanders mistreated their troops, not to mention their countrymen in general, was unbelievable. As I read the book, my mind kept flicking back to "Paths of Glory." There's more to that film than one might think.
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Ktrum7

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 04:22:23 AM »
Some others that come to mind that have WW1 as a backdrop. The Lost Patrol, Hells Angels, Fighting 69th, What Price Glory, Gallipoli, Sergeant York, Aces High, The African Queen, The Lost Batallion, Flyboys, Warhorse and of course, the most brilliant film of all times, Lawrence of Arabia.

Offline GHE

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 10:37:42 PM »
Hello Gary / Trackpad  !

In  general there are movies that follow the main-stream adventure-movie pattern with the difference only in the background
of the story - I think "Fly Boys" will be such a film.
The other type are those who really do mix historic facts with a novel story - the way Jack London did his stories.
The least seen is the reenacting of real world historic events - without the well known path of Hollywood-swagger, showing normal people struggling with the events they were thrown into.

Paths of Glory is one of those theatre-like dramas that are based on historic events without Indiana Jones -like action to
tell on the not so obvious sides of military behaviour.

Italy - in general - is regarded as a country of classic culture, beautiful women, wine, beautiful landscapes and pleasant
nice and friendly, non-aggressive people.
Eventually one has to notice that everywhere men are able to bring the worst out of their kin in contradiction to what prejudice or
'advertising' labels on people, especially the foe.

It is largely forgotten, that the social class differences were huge then and that the high brass did not care much for the lives of their soldiers.
(think of the non-distribution of parachutes to RFC pilots on purpose! - it was thought that the pilot will abort a fight to soon
and be less aggressive wearing a chute...  - that is really evil; what shall a soldier think of his own country that denies him his life?)
This indeed is a European phenomenom at that time - and not at all typical , for example,  only for the German side.
After Caporetto / Isonzo I think one out of ten Italien soldiers at this front was shot for punishment for running away...

The only country that always liked to put into the fight ordnance first, souls later, were the USA (in most cases).
Benito Mussolini, then chief editor of the biggest trade union newspaper, son of a radical leftwing agitator blacksmith, voted openly for Italy going to war in WW I  .... and as the "Man of the Century" (baptized by British Press), the fascist movement leader went to war along the German side .
One may ask what a brave and patriotic Italian soldier shall think about those contradictory facts ?

Of course, the downsides of behaviour will always not be talked upon; one will be accused of making one's own nest dirty.
Furthermore after victory one will show oneself in the best lighting conditions and will blame everything on the looser.
The official heroic picture has more in common with the Picture of Dorian Grey than with honest reality.
Reality often hurts.
This, of course, does not diminish the bravery of all combattants, who had to struggle on in those days.

After WW 1 literature on the Great War peaked- it was a monstrous traumatizing event to the soldiers of all nations,
a culture shock and an upside-down for European society let loose by European establishment money-political-military
misleadership in a time when every  nation felt to be THE master of the world.

Three new Finnish films on the fight against overwhelming Russia in WW2 are good examples of beeing realistic without
overdone action-bloodshed for the shudder-effect on the movie-goer.
They show men as normal beeings without heroic aura or Hollywood-swagger, not as men always beeing superior in every situation, immune to enemy bullets and hitting the foe at first shot, showing their desperation in a desperate situation,
not losing their humanity and trying to keep their soul sober in order not to lose themselves amidst the cruel realities.
[ "Ambush 1941": Winner of 7 categories of the Finnish Film Prize (Jussi-Awards) based on the novel "The Road to Rukajärvi"by
Antti Tuuri; director:Olli Saarela  1999 / "Beyond the Frontline" director:Ake Lindman  based on the war diaries and photos of
Harry Lärv  / "Battle for Finnland -Tali-Ihantala 1944" director: Ake Lindman   - all films by pandastorm.com - see internet ]

Model building and history soon begann to go hand in gloves with me ; it is not my only interest, but a main interest indeed.
Studying books, building models, seeing movies is very rewarding and one may learn a lot on human condition.

The forum is very nice - here we are from all over the world with our hobby, questions and answers, helping hands and sometimes talking on the real events.

viele Grüße, Gunther
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:34:16 AM by GHE »
LZeppelin rocks!

WarrenD

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 12:07:06 AM »
Grusse Gott Gunther!
                                  It goes the same with me too, model building and history. I loved building models in my youth, then quit for the usual reasons. When I was 20, I found the hobby/passion/avocation of reenacting and living history. I was hooked because it was great to recreate history in full scale, and be able to educate others along the way. Now, I'm too old to be a soldier anymore, so I'm coming back to recreating it in miniature. (My son got hooked on it when he was 12. Now he's putting together his Imperial German impression in time for the 100th anniversary of the Great War.)
Great reviews and insight on your part!  I too really like what the Finns put out, I got hooked on Winter War back in the 90's.

Warren

Offline GHE

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 11:45:32 PM »
Hello Warren !

It is very pleasant to share the same experiences with others around the globe.
I, too, quit modeling for a while and came back to it some ten years ago.
Reenacting in Germany was not so en vogue and was mainly done in politic correct forms -medieavel reenacting, 30-years-war,
Romans; the Great War largely is long  forgotten; there is no such thing as a public awareness of the Great War.
I'm a member of the Friends of the Bavarian Army Museum which has a very good WW I Museum - the largest exhibition on the
Continent and they will do exhibitions on the 100-Years anniversary of WW I .
In France and the UK there will be done much more on this. The French are restauring a lot spoils of war  and without reluctance
German remnants.

Due to my father's WW 2 service time alongside the Finnish troops I have a certain knack for them, too.
They enjoy great esteem with my father and he speaks (now at the age of 92) fondly of their comradeship and humanity.

Modeling itself is a great pleasure  and  I always felt that the model inspires the interest in the real thing .

If it is not to intimate I'd like to create a topic what forum members still know about family history on the Great War and
Aviation 1900-1918 .
Of course - on the net one perhaps does not like to write down personal things.

viele grüße, Gunther
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:15:11 AM by GHE »
LZeppelin rocks!