Author Topic: Albatros DII and DIII reproductions by Koloman Mayrhofer & team  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Albatros DII and DIII reproductions by Koloman Mayrhofer & team
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:05:50 PM »
http://www.craftlab.at/index.php?id=3&L=1&cHash=c0261f27b412d59499699d2463a6241f

"The extensive expertise gained from building two OEFFAG Albatrosses resulted in a commission to build two Albatros D IIs and one Albatros D III in the configuration they would have left the factory in Johannisthal near Berlin in 1917.

This aircraft type is historically significant not only for it’s formidable service it gave as a fighter aircraft, but also as being one of the very first aircraft in which glue was used as a main structural element.

A number of common parts between the two types simplified the production of the series.
The customer asked for the highest possible level of authenticity, and so the only compromise is the use of modern glues to make certification possible.

All other material specifications are to the original standards."

Click on the images to enlarge fully

Beautiful work. The DII is due to make its public début at Hood Aerodrome, Masterton, New Zealand on November 9th

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1380463_539153169489270_740282873_n.jpg

Are any of you planning to come?

Cheers
James
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:32:00 AM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Cimmerian

Re: Albatros DII and DIII reproductions by Koloman Mayrhofer & team
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
Wonderful pictures. Would love to get there but lack of passport kind of keeps me at home and heart problems make it too expensive for me to think about flying anymore. :(
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:31:33 PM »
Same weekend as Telford, otherwise.......

Would love to see the new D.II in action. Is the Craftlab D.III also coming your way, I wonder?
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »
Totally awesome, my two most favourite aircraft... well almost.. I favour OAW personally, don't ask why I don't know myself.  ::)

If I ever won the lottery.... :o

What a perfect point for WNW to announce their upcoming release too... has that crossed anyones mind yet???? ;D

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:04:25 PM »
Absolutely fabulous work, thanks for posting those Jamo. The last pic spoilt by just one thing - that bloody scarf!  ;)

Ian

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 12:19:18 AM »
Jamo,
    Thanks for these wonderful photos. As Keith said, "if I ever won a Lottery".......... ::)!! The stuff dreams are made of.......
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:55:46 AM »
It truly gladdens my heart to see such artistry - long may it continue.

Thanks for sharing the images, Jamo

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
Thanks James for posting the images of this remarkable workmanship, and the final photo of the machine flying is excellent. I will make it across the ditch one day to witness all these beautiful aircraft.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Zabu

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »
Thanks for the pics Jamo.

Quite a beautifull sight.

Cheers

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 12:02:03 AM »
Darn! I thought this post would be the long-awaited "Jamo goes nuts documenting the TVAL D.II up close" ...

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 04:35:04 AM »
I certainly hope to do that this summer Bo. TVAL do not have all their aeroplanes on public display at their 'Open Hangar' weekends. I am still hoping to give 'Jess' the night bomber FE2b the full treatment, plus the new Snipe as well. I would like to see the engine covers off the RE8 and the Bristol F2B and photograph the various fuel, oil, throttle and ignition leads & pipes. And also see how fuel/oil/exhaust staining effects have developed . . . There will be a new format for TVAL airshows this season, as they have noted on Facebook:

"2.00pm - 3.00pm Flightline Walk
 3.00pm - 4.45pm Air Show
 4.45pm - 5.00pm Pilot/Engineers Demonstration

Due to the ever increasing numbers of WWI aviation enthusiasts attending our shows we are altering our format to give our visitors a more personal and unique aviation experience.

Our previous 2 and 1/2 hour airshow will be shortened to almost 2 hours, allowing us to keep the show fresh by alternating aircraft for future shows. Additionally, an hour before the air show begins, all our aircraft will be able to be accessed on the flightline by the public. Pilots and ground crew will be available beside the aircraft to talk to and answer any questions and there will be plenty of close-up photo opportunities available.

Owing to the success of Gene DeMarco's Rotary engine talk at our last April show, we plan on wrapping up the show with a similar engine or aircraft demonstration.

For now, this new format says goodbye to our vehicle rides and vintage car displays, however we hope the added bonus of being able to walk the flightline and listen to the pilots explain their aeroplanes will satisfy many of our visitor requests for more detailed information!

We are also moving our air show and spectator area to the opposite side of the airfield to take advantage of the hangars and buildings in case of weather disruptions. This way, even in the event of a complete rain-out, visitors will still be able to view the aircraft under-cover and talk to the pilots. Additionally we can develop our VIP area (intended for all those hardcore TVAL enthusiasts who visit us every show) and finally be rid of the dreaded portaloos!!!"

Weather also plays a major role in what happens on the day. Lets hope it is kind to us! Only one month to go

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/