Author Topic: Sopwith Pup / British a/c in general pully inspection panel question  (Read 1087 times)

Offline jknaus

Okay as I am new to this subject I have some questions about the pully inspection panels on a/c like the Pup and SE 5a. I saw a thread on the SE 5a and am looking at the Pup and wondering why. Why is there a clear covering? Did these fail regularily enough that a regular removeable inspection panel was too much trouble? Is there a clear panel on the top and bottom of the wing? How would they be attached, sewn on or screwed in? Are the pulleys black like other fittings? Are they on all British a/c? I dont think I've seen them on German a/c but maybe I am missing something.
A lot of whys I know but I'm trying to understand the what where whys of this.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can explaing this to me.
James

WarrenD

Re: Sopwith Pup / British a/c in general pully inspection panel question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:40:21 AM »
A good and fair question James. I'm still ingesting my morning caffeine, so y'all forgive me if my answer contains errors.  ;)

As best as I remember, without digging through my books, the panels were screwed on. (They sure didn't use buttons, zippers, snaps, nor were they a press-fit as I recall.) They serve the purpose as their name implies: they are there to inspect the control cables and pulleys. As I see it, trying to see it from their perspective, anytime you have a cable making a ninety degree turn through a pulley, you run the risk of abrasion, wear and tear, etc.  Understand, heavier-than-air aviation is less than twenty years old at this point, and some things are still being worked out.

- No, they aren't on all British a/c. However, look at a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter. Along the starboard side of the fuselage, you'll see lacing that runs up from the bottom and then back towards the tail along the side. As I understand it, this is to give the mechanics/fitters access to the fuselage to check and or repair the control cables. This is something unique to this particular a/c and as you noted, was not a universal feature.  You can imagine what  PITA it would be is an a/c returned from a sortie with a control cable severed from hostile fire, and you had to access it. How the Germans and French dealt with this, I do not know.

I know this doesn't fully answer your questions, but I hope it helps some.

Warren

Offline jknaus

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 12:58:30 AM »
That makes sense. I wasn't thinking new technology , but it was pretty new. I think what threw me off was I haven't seen panels like that on any other a/c so wondered if this was an inherent problem area. More things to think about :)
Thanks Warren.
James

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 01:24:22 AM »
James, I can't remember if I have the SE5a datafile, but I do have a copy of High in the Empty Blue which has a LOT of SE5 information. If there's something specific you need to know, I can try to dig through it to find it for you.

Warren

Offline jknaus

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:49:43 AM »
Thanks Warren. I have a list of books I want to order as soon as I get some more money together. The SE 5a will be a bit later on. Appreciate the offer

WOW decided to check out the book high in the empty blue the history of 56 squadron, almost $200 to way more.
James

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:10:33 AM »
Yep, bought mine years ago, and glad I did (along with a bunch of OOP FMP books like the A-H books, etc.)  If you're an SE5 or 56 Sq fan, I'd say it's very much worth keeping an eye out for one on the used market. Sometimes things like this come up cheap. Keep an eye out!

Warren

Offline jknaus

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »
In case anyone is looking for refs on SE 5a's I found this one "Mount of Aces The Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5a". Tried to buy it from the publisher in England but they only seem to deal with England and the US. So found it on ebay for cheap. Hope that will help someone.
James

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
Hey, James,

Just coming across this.....

As far as I know, the panels were only on the top side of the wings on the Pup. Interestingly, as can be seen in some of the pix Tankbear posted on my JAAS Pup build, there is a distinct light ghost visible on the bottom side of the wing. It's a neat detail to add.

HTH,
Michael