Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Snipe - Early  (Read 15330 times)

Offline Gisbod

Re: WNW Sopwith Snipe - Early
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »

Thanks again  ;)

As for the RAF wire connections, try cutting the brass tubing down to half the length you would use for turnbuckles, then, once the line is drawn tight and secured, flatten the tubing with needle nose pliers. 

Thanks Bud,

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I tried! Just done the first attachment at the tail.. I think it's as good as I'll be able to get it. It's so fiddily though :o  I'd forgotten just how much so... How you guys have the patience to rig an FE2b is beyond me..

but, to be honest, I love the EZ capability to stay tight, either if it's not "structural". about the flat rigging, the elasthan stuff on WNW site it's ok, to me... ;)

Yep, it does have its uses - despite all I've said I'm still using it for elements of the tail feathers - where the monofilament is too strong for the very delicate control horns..
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Zabu

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2013, 05:01:04 AM »
Ireally can't add nothing more to what has been said.

A trully fantabulastic build.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2013, 01:03:41 AM »

Hi,

Another (small) update (very hot here in the UK!).

Finished the tail feathers - monofilament / Gaspatch turnbuckles / EZ Line for the bits that connect to the very delicate control horns. That's one tiny thing I'd ask Wingnuts to change - a horn that's one piece and passes through the tail giving a little more rigidity to the structure. But I'm not moaning - the kits are awesome as we all know  :)

On to the main wings next - looking forward to getting the struts and top wing on as I don't feel I've progressed much structurally for too long..

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2013, 01:57:18 AM »
Awesome Gis' ............... so delicate - and a good point on those "horns", I might have struggled away till I jiggered something up if I hadn't of spotted this build - which is of course directly responsible for me wanting to build one too.

As an aside - mine arrived [couple of weeks - not too bad]. Price wise, really quite bearable £46.76 for the kit direct, and a total of £17.50 ransom at customs = £64.26.
So, a fiver less than Hannants list price - better still if you include their phantom shipping - and round about the same as a Very Good example off the 'bay. But of course you can't always dictate what might be available.

So, a happy bunny - and one that's looking forward to making a start on these amazing kits. Just got to improve the skills a bit and hopefully cool down - you're right - I'm melting here!!!!
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2013, 07:47:54 AM »
Thanks Andi,

Glad your Snipe worked out getting it direct from Wingnuts. Which colour scheme are you going for? I'll look forward to your build thread.. :D

Guy

Offline avro683

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »

Well, I was so impressed with this I bit the bullet - logged onto Wingnuts and ordered myself one. Snaffled a few off the 'bay but this is a first to order from source - I'll have to see how it pans out fiscally. Of course this way I get exactly what I want as opposed to what's available that no one else wants!! - I know what I mean?

Great job by the way - I am following along avidly.

Andi - I'm pleased you like it - I did order from Wingnuts for the first few, but it takes a few weeks to arrive & you do occasionally get stung for the customs payment which makes it not too far short of buying it direct from Hannants (UK) (which I did for the Snipe) and it arrives the next day.. You can also arrange to pick up from the Hannants at the RAF Museum at Hendon and then you pay no postage & you get an additional 10% discount on the kit price.

Sorry for taking this off at a tangent for a short while .................

Yes .......... I've been offered this advice before - BUT, I've been struggling with this notion of eBay v WNW v Hannants .......... and mainly because I simply cannot find a shipping/postage cost anywhere for Hannants ............ taking out eBay for the mo' ... The basic cost of the kit is already £25.00 less by ordering direct [shipping free] from WNW, Now I know I'm going to get stung by import duties - but to the tune of 25 quid? - And I've yet to factor in the cost of the "phantom" shipping charge from Hannants!!

I may be being a bit dim here?? [probably] But for the life of me I can't make sense of the differing rates, calculations and opinions.

Can anyone who has done both - or even individually please provide some kind of empirical evidence, as in tell me what it cost them!!

Apologies for minor hijack............

Andi

I’ve had a couple of deliveries from Wingnuts to the UK before Hannants started selling them.

In general terms on imports you can be liable for:

Duty - the rate varies depending on product & country it’s from but it’s often around 10% (can be 0% of course)
VAT – this is charged on the total of the declared value of the item + the postage on the parcel + any duty.
Handling charge – this is charged by Royal Mail, Parcelforce or any other carrier for doing the customs clearance – it varies but depending on the company but budget on £10 - £22 per shipment.
However, if your parcel isn’t caught for duty/VAT then there’s no handling charge by the carrier.

So on a kit costing say £50 (equivalent) in NZ with say £8 postage marked on the parcel (let’s assume there’s 5% duty) you’d pay:

£50 kit
£2.5 duty
£12.1 VAT based on the above two figures plus the £8 postage (even though it was ‘free postage’ by WNW) i.e. 20% of £60.5
£15 (assumed handling fee)

Total £79.60

The handling fee is a killer as it’s not relative to value. I recently had to pay £22 Royal Mail handling charge on a small £75 item from the US (but I really needed it). :'(

I’d still buy direct from WNW if Hannants didn’t have what I wanted in stock & were unlikely to get it but I’d not be expecting to save money (it could easily cost more). You may be fortunate & not get charged of course.

Regards
Russell

Andi

The trick is to order these things in bulk as the £8 handling fee is applied to the whole package, not per kit. I recently took delivery of 7 kits and saved something in the region of £150 which is, as some might say, not to be sneezed at.
Tony

Come back and I'll bite your ankles!

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2013, 01:03:15 AM »
  Guy,
Outstanding progress my friend. Superb work on her nose stripes. I really like your choice of marking too. Keep up the grand work my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2013, 09:26:51 AM »
Terrific craftsmanship  and an Outstanding  paint scheme! I must consider ordering a Late version so I can try one of these Silver birds!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »

Finally getting there..

All the rigging attachments and struts in place.. Top wing on next.  I'm planning to fix the undercarriage before tensioning the rigging so that its in its correct 'sitting' position'.

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
Continues to inspire - and I really like the effects around those nose stripes - the subtle shading and panel work - great stuff.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2013, 10:42:01 PM »
Guy, I wasn't all that interested in post-war paint
schemes, but this little gem of yours has changed
my mind.  Masterful job!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2013, 11:50:35 PM »
It's only just Ernie - 1919.. 

It was only a few months after the Armistice so it felt ok to choose that scheme  ;) but yes, there certainly are some jazzy inter war Snipes about..

Guy

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »
It's only just Ernie - 1919.. 

It was only a few months after the Armistice so it felt ok to choose that scheme  ;) but yes, there certainly are some jazzy inter war Snipes about..

Guy

There certainly are, Guy.  I think the one
you are doing is the one I will do (eventually) as well.
Great job!

Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Vladimir Ziska

• Nordland Models
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2013, 11:01:01 PM »
Hi Guy,

nice bulding and nice surface. Silver color is not easy, you succeeded.

Cheers,

Vladimir

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2013, 03:33:58 AM »

She's finished!  ;D

Didn't take as long as I thought, though I always find the rigging a bit of a struggle, but the end result is worth it.

In summary I'd thoroughly recommend this kit - Relatively straightforward - the engine is much simpler than most Wingnut kits which speeds the whole process up. The fit of all parts is flawless.

I'm quite pleased with how the silver finish ended up  ;)

I'll post a few more pictures in the completed builds section in a bit - Thanks to everyone who took an interest - It's been my first build log and hopefully I'll do some more!

On to the Fokker...

Guy