WW1 Aircraft Modeling > What's New

Comments on lozenge comparison

(1/5) > >>

Jamo:
It has occurred to me that no one else can post in the section of the forum where our reviews are held, so if you would like to say anything about the 1/32 lozenge side by side comparison, feel free to add to this thread

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1281.0

Tony Haycock:
I would have to say that the Wood and Wire version looks closest to the lozenge as seen when looking at the Vinatge Aviator aircraft up close

kornbeef:
Wood and wire Lozenge is an excellent representation of lozenge I used it on my D.V . Very thin, they respond well to curves and undulations using heat (hot water on kitchen towel)  However its quite difficult to use, fragile and easily damaged, I found a thin clearcoat applied before use helped somewhat however. I used Klear.

One thing to note, like HGW's which I found equally fragile Wood & Wire decals are transparent, an advantage of which is thet grntle preshading would show through. A disadvantage of course is that any imperfections, hairs or airbubbles will too. Best applied over Gloss White.

The ribtapes as supplied are equally fragie and takes patience to apply them, I'm sure if someone knows the best way to clearcoat them before application they would be excellent to use

Keith

uncletony:
Very useful comparison. Thanks for doing this.

How about adding Pheon to the comparison? AFAIK Rowan only offers the D.V five color, but to my eyes the colors are very good, add the decals are precut for clumsy oafs such as myself.

I must agree that the WNW colors are pretty awful, esp the earlier stuff. I think though they could be salvaged with weathering and shading techniques working towards light. 

Ian from Doncaster:
The WNW decals behave very well, and usually come with rib tapes too.  They do however appear very bright in comparison to the others.  They can be dulled down though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version