Author Topic: What plane is this??  (Read 1350 times)

Offline IanB

Re: What plane is this??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:15:22 PM »
My guess would be a Nieuport 12, or a late 10.

Ian

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 11:19:05 PM »
yes Nieuport 12

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:47:53 PM »
Is that a sheet of castor oil that is spreading down across the side up forward? I am still learning about this stuff but it doesn't seem like a logical place for oil to leak from.

Taking into consideration the funny things color can do in old photos, it seems the same color as the fuselage, and, considering that this is a Frenchman, perhaps it's his visual testament to the "legs" of a full bodied Syrrah.

A votre Santé

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 02:12:23 AM »
Merci, Bo!

I realize there's so many planes, Wingnut Wings still have to do... And I am quite sure that after the last huge packages they gave us (which surely meant that their manymany other projects had to be postponed), WnW will give us a LOT of most interesting and never thought of planes for Xmas!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »
Is that a sheet of castor oil that is spreading down across the side up forward? I am still learning about this stuff but it doesn't seem like a logical place for oil to leak from.

yes, it's oil -- if you have the WS DF 60 Sopwith Baby, check out picture 3 (page 3); nearly identical staining, obviously oil and leaking back from the upper apertures...

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
think about when you are driving in the rain on the highway. the water droplets move in odd patterns along the side windows.early rotaries used fuel and castor oil. most exhausted right out the top of the cylinder.castor oil got all over the pilots why woulnt it slink down the upper side of the fuselage. other variables are cross winds.it looks like what i would expect which is oil everywhere and anywhere.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 10:52:06 PM »
Thanks Bo and Scott. Great analogy to a rainy drive.

Of course its hard to tell from a small photo, but, my confusion comes from the fact that it appears that the bulk of the oil is coming down from above as opposed to back from the cowling where I'd assume it would originate.