Author Topic: Decals for the AZ/Hippo Gotha? Please?  (Read 6675 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Decals for the AZ/Hippo Gotha? Please?
« on: July 31, 2012, 02:27:34 AM »
Hi, Rowan.  With the re-issue of the Hippo Gotha G.V by AZ, especially with the improved pe and lower price, more and more modelers will by adding this kit to their stashes.  Most, like me, will probably wait until some truly decent decals come around before actually building one.  Any chance we'll see a Phoen sheet for these anytime soon?  This kit and your stickers is a marriage made in heaven.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rowan broadbent

Re: Decals for the AZ/Hippo Gotha? Please?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:19:47 AM »
Hello Bud,

A slightly thorny question, this one. Firstly I cannot see modellers paying what I'd need to charge for screen-printed night lozenge for this kit - which is pretty much essential for all but the earliest ones.

However, Doug Bauman produces his self-printed night lozenge in 48th scale I think, so all is not lost on that front, provided that people can get on with Doug's decals. I really like the colours I've seen and all the reviews I have read indicate that they are very usable provided some simple rules are followed - but that they aren't necessarily quite as simple to use as "main stream" decals. That might put some people off and reduce potential sales of markings decals.....

I'd be interested in what you and others think!

Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 07:11:47 AM »
Not very knowledgable on Gotha's, Rowan, so I had no idea.  I've used Doug's decals with success, but I'm not sure I could cover an entire Gotha with loz.  Won't know until I try. 
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline xmald

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 02:16:53 AM »
Some other decals might come handy since I agree that what comes in the box is boring. Who would build a Gotha in French scheme?? I`m sure I wouldn`t. So aftermarket decals would surely be welcome!
Best regards
Filip