Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 Fokker E.II/E.III  (Read 5033 times)

Offline FAf

Re: Eduard 1/48 Fokker E.II/E.III
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 05:49:08 AM »
I had to go to page 2 to find my topic. I suppose that is a sign of how much is posted on this site and all of it is well worth looking at!

Anyway... I've managed to move forward a little. There's always room for more putty, it seems. In this case it wasn't too bad, I needed to redo the metal paint anyway. The swirls actually look better when not magnified by a camera lens, still there but not as obvious.

I decided to go for Udet's machine and painted the Fokker in Fokker grey - Gunze H70 in my case. Next up is masking the ribs.

Some or most of the smaller details have been painted and are just waiting for assembly.

Masking and painting the fuselage bands. It went rather ok. Just one finger that got away and planted a nice print in the wet paint. All sorted now.

/Fredrik

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 06:42:32 AM »
That is a lot of filler!

Is it the kit you think? Deformed parts?

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Bughunter

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 07:29:31 AM »
You made a huge progress, with painting already.

Some or most of the smaller details have been painted and are just waiting for assembly.
This cost often a lot of time!

Looks already like a little Fokker  :D

Cheers,
Frank

Online RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 08:13:34 AM »
Lovely work on the cowling and band! Looking Terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2020, 09:06:08 AM »
Hey Fredrik ,

Your swirls on the cowl turned out really well , you are right second attempt much better  ;) Thumb prints and such add character . Every build I have done has a flipping piece of cat hair in the finish .  ::)

Really like that shade of blue  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline FAf

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »
Thanks Terri, Rick, Frank and Guy!

Fingerprints and other mistakes - a philosophical idea...
I have this idea that every unopened box holds the perfect model inside and then, as soon as you open the box, you start to destroy this unattainable perfection. Every choice you make and every thumb, or ,in this case, index finger print takes you further from the perfect idea. And yet it is worth while building models, since it, on the other hand, is it difficult to tell what mistakes are real mistakes and what mistakes that add personality to a kit or what mistakes that won't be visible in the end... and you might actually achieve perfection the next time! 😃

Guy: I had the same issue on the Brisfit. I suppose it's the fuselage parts that are a little deformed. It strikes me now that you could try and insert spreaders to try and improve fit before resorting to putty.

Cheers
Fredrik

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 01:49:23 AM »
That’s a good idea Fredrik!

Obviously, it’ll be a case of trial and error I guess. I just thought Eduard would be better than that..

Your statement re perfection is spot on! That’s exactly how I feel. I start off with an award winning best in show kit and I gradually wear it down into something average!  ;D

Guy

Offline FAf

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 05:32:07 PM »
Guy, so far I've only built Eduard's Albatros D.III and D.V, Brisfit and now the Fokker and the youngest of those kits is from 2008 according to Scalemates. A lot(!) has happened with Eduard kits since then. I expect newer kits to be better and I've got a few lined up as my next build.

Average you say?! I beg to differ there. Your latest is enough to prove me right and you wrong. 😀 But I get how you feel and you might see why I was a bit overwhelmed by comments here on the forum about my Eduard Brisfit. The perception of others just didn't match my own, but I'm very happy with it now.

/Fredrik

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2020, 12:11:07 AM »
Yes, again, I’m the same.

I only see the flaws!

Perhaps I need to see a shrink!

Guy

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2020, 01:33:12 AM »
This is looking good, Faf.  It will be great when its all put together.
I constantly exploit the notion that mistakes add personality.

Bughunter

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2020, 03:55:39 AM »
a philosophical idea...
I have this idea that every unopened box holds the perfect model inside and then, as soon as you open the box, you start to destroy this unattainable perfection.
Fredrik, that is really a cool view on it! 8)
To continue that thought: With my scratch work I try to compensate a part of my mistakes. ;D

Cheers,
Frank

Offline FAf

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 07:29:43 AM »
Thanks Guy, Ken and Frank! It's good to know that you're with me on this... 

This is looking good, Faf.  It will be great when its all put together.
I constantly exploit the notion that mistakes add personality.

Yes, hopefully the assembled model will be better (greater) than the sum of its parts. We're moving in the right direction anyway.

More paint added, all of it using masks of some sort... shaded the ribs and painted the markings. A little more shading to be done and then I need to figure out how to proceed. I find the wing attachment really flimsy, so I wonder whether I should finish the weathering before attaching the wings or after?!

/Fredrik

Online RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2020, 07:31:54 AM »
It could be just me but adding the insignia always seems to make Great look Even Better! Lovely work!
RAGIII

Offline FAf

Re: Eduard 1/48 Fokker E.II/E.III - help needed! (p.2)
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2020, 11:06:35 PM »
Back again... and so many great posts missed all over the forum. I'll see if I can catch up.

Occasionally I've been able to put some work into the Fokker and it is now almost done - but I need a bit of help to complete it. I was going to make a replacement propeller but in the process, or rather before I started the process, I managed to lose the plastic part and now I can't really make a replacement.

According to WNW my chosen subject should have a Garuda propeller. Part E12 in the picture below.

HELP: If anyone would be so kind as to take a couple of photos of their WNW Garuda propeller, it would be enormously appreciated! I would need one photo taken straight on and one taken from the side and I would need dimensions - total lenght and breadth (thickness from front to back).

Apart from that this is what has happened and where she is at the moment...
Eduard doesn't really include everything necessary in order to rig the aircraft. The pylon is there, but not the attachement points for the forward wires coming from the wings. I added those using Gaspatch 1/32 metal turnbuckles. Other bracing wires were also attached and Gaspatch resin 1/48 turnbuckles used.

Skipping forward in the process... no pictures taken during my gloomy weeks... she is finished bar the propeller. In the end the flimsy wing attachements became less an less flimsy as the rigging went on. The wings are now quite rigid, so I suppose the rigging actually works the way it should! Except that I don't think it can be used to warp the wings...

Cheers
Fredrik

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 12:11:14 AM by FAf »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2020, 11:18:22 PM »
Wow Fredrik, Your Fokker  is a Beauty! The rigging looks exceptional as does the painting and detailing! Well done .
RAGIII