Author Topic: Blue Max 1:48 Sopwith Dolphin  (Read 12424 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Blue Max 1:48 Sopwith Dolphin
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2016, 02:17:57 AM »
Outstanding work on shading those tapes! This one is coming along quite nicely all around!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »
Des,  Radio and RAGIII, thanks for your comments: much appreciated. Got a second wing section done over the weekend and I hope to get the last two done by Tuesday.  ;)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2016, 11:41:10 AM »
I'll be away for the weekend starting Thursday, so I hoped to get the four wing sections pigmented, rubbed down and muted with an overspray of CDL. Made it, with only a small hiccup, readily repaired!

Here are the four wing sections. I used my elderly Iwata HP-C airbrush spraying a narrow line of thinned (3:1 thinner/paint) Xtracolor RFC CDL along the ribs and over the pigment. Now the pigment looks to be fairly uniform in its muting. Translation? I was Godawful lucky!  ;D The problem I had was self-inflicted: I had applied the decals before doing the rib tapes, so I now had to mask off the roundels with card discs, then do the muting everywhere but on the roundels, then use a damp cotton bud (Q-Tip) to mute the pigment on them. Worked out all right, but I lost a few small bits of blue in the roundels to the Jammy Dog rib taping. Fortunately, as noted above, the Citadel paints are a virtual spot-on match for Rowan's decals: small brush, thinned Citadel Kantor Blue, a glass of excellent white wine (!) and the tiny repairs were made! I'll continue to clean up white metal and plastic parts as I await Edgar's PE frets, but not on my trip over the weekend. It's a work-oriented trip and I do not want to start losing Dolphin bits and bobs before I even get a chance to glue them in place! So next update will be next week.

Thanks for visiting, have a great weekend, and good luck with your various builds!   8)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:55:41 PM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2016, 12:51:37 PM »
each update it groes better gary

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
The wings look fantastic, Gary!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2016, 04:10:07 PM »
You have done a fantastic job with the wings Gary, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2016, 12:11:22 AM »
Super work, Gary. I reckon you make you own luck. As some golfer or another said, the more and more he practiced, the luckier he got!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2016, 01:41:04 AM »
Enjoy your business trip and weekend away from the stress of Modeling  8)
RAGIII

Offline radio

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2016, 04:13:25 AM »
Wings looks very beautiful.
Cheers
Martin

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2016, 11:36:03 AM »
Thank you all, gentlemen, for your comments and kind remarks!

Nigel: "As some golfer or another said, the more and more he practiced, the luckier he got!" So that's how it works! I must try that in future! <G>

Edgar: "The Test frets for Dolphin will be ready on Monday." Thanks very much, Edgar. I certainly look forward to their arrival!  :)

I'm away tomorrow morning, back Sunday night. Enjoy your weekend while I slave away over a hot computer monitor! :o    (Just kidding!)

More updates next week!
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2016, 11:27:40 AM »
Hi,

This build is making a glacier look like an Olympic 100 meter dash gold medalist! However, after two away trips from home and a seven inch dumping of snow on us last night, I can actually show a bit of clean-up work done while awaiting Edgar's PE frets:

White metal parts have been adzed along their molding lines then filed and sanded to smooth out the surfaces. The engine is ready for a bit of Alclad 2 plus a little detailing: not much of it can be seen once mounted. Various plastic bits and bobs are ready for paint and woodgraining. One exhaust pipe is done (bottom right, shown with its twin that has yet to be cleaned up). The turtledeck took quite a while to do as each of the apertures had to be ground out from the inside, otherwise it appears to be about 4 inches thick!

So, yes, progress is being made. And, no, not as quickly as I would like. But it's the journey that is important, not the destination, or so I've read. However, I'd sure like to see this Dolphin finished, as I am really enjoying the build, slow as it is!  8)

Thanks for visiting!

Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2016, 11:11:40 AM »
And the wait is over! I took delivery of the two frets offered by Edgar today: the fret from CSM's new Sopwith Dolphin 1/48th scale kit, and the earlier fret put on offer by CSM for the Blue Max Dolphin kit.  :)

Here are the frets, surrounded by items of the build, as they arrived, just out of their sturdy cardboard container:

Frets unwrapped:

And a closeup of the two frets, the earlier on the left, the CSM fret for their new Dolphin on the right:

The CAD photos posted above in this thread by Edgar illustrating the PE and their respective locations on the model are excellent references. I'll be working on these new items as soon as possible, after five more days of computer simulation training plus a short recovery after breaking a tooth yesterday! :(  Repairs were done today with good results. I only hope I can build my Dolphin as well as my dentist rebuilt my tooth!  ;D

Thanks once again, Edgar! And thanks to all for visiting!
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »
Your interior is looking spectacular. The PE should really set everything off well! Looking forward to seeing the next update.
RAGIII

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2016, 05:49:04 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you start adding the PE details Gary.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2016, 09:10:58 AM »
Hello Gary, I'm glad you finally received it. Just keep in mind that this is a test fret (not all parts are presented here) and one issue, test fret is mirrored. All this will be ok at the production stage

Hi, Edgar,

I'm quite satisfied with the frets that you sent. They will add much detail to the model. If the frets in the actual kit will be that much better, then that is an extra bonus for those buying your Dolphin. As it is, these will be fine for my build!  8)

Cheers!
Gary