Author Topic: Blue Max 1:48 Sopwith Dolphin  (Read 12364 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: Blue Max 1:48 Sopwith Dolphin
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 05:29:10 AM »
I wasn't aware that you had started a build log Gary, but now that I know, I'll activate the notification feature and follow along. Everything you've done to this point looks superb, just as I would expect.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 07:48:59 AM »
Thx, Chris and Toby, for your kind remarks. This will be a relaxing build (I hope!) but I do expect a few tense moments here and there. All part of the hobby, though!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 07:55:19 AM »
   Good solid start thus far Gary. Having been following your progress off Forum I know how much effort you have expended on this already, now that you have the Datafile things should improve somewhat. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 08:29:33 AM »
Gary, so glad to see you doing this build!  You're off to a brilliant start.  I wasn't even aware of this until I got your PM regarding top wing connection.  I've included a link to my build log on the 'drome.  Hope it helps.  Page 6 is where this bit of the build begins.
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47253&page=6
Looking forward to following this project.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »
Hi, Bud, and many thanks. You are, indeed, a Prince among men! I'll be digesting your build log over the next day or two, and I promise not to bother you with questions unless I really get into a bind (which does happen to me more often than not!).  ::) Thanks again!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 09:50:08 AM »
Ask any question any time, Gary.  I have a special place in my heart for the Dolphin and all who choose to build one.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 09:56:32 AM »
Hi, All,

One item that I have yet to post, in accordance with Des' request for build logs, is an image of the instruction sheet that is in the kit. So here is the single page black and white sheet from Blue Max for the Dolphin. The other side is filled with several photos of a finished model, giving an idea of what it should look like as well as several colour callouts:

An exploded diagram and three partial construction photos make up the information on the actual build. Colour and decal notes are on the right side. I strongly, highly and extremely recommend that you obtain the Dolphin datafile, as recommended in the note bottom left of the diagram. Equally, remember that Rowan Broadbent has a sheet of decals for this kit, which includes a peel and stick sheet that allows you to make up a precise jig to assist with wings, struts and rigging. I have this sheet and the jig: quite easy to assemble, just take your time.
Cheers!
Gary

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 10:11:38 AM »
Gary, if you're not too far along already, I highly recommend the Cross & Cockade book on the Dolphin.  Extremely comprehensive.
http://www.crossandcockade.com/store/Product.asp?cat=51&id=304
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »
Bud:

HAH!! I'm now not as far along as I was four hours ago! One read-through of your build log and I'm:

a. drilling out the hole for the fuel tank filler,
b. clearing holes in the front of both fuselage halves,
c. Stripping out the woodwork on the inside of the fuselage halves,
4. preparing to do yet another paint job inside the fuselage halves,
5. checking out tubing to make the filler tube to the fuel tank,
6. Preparing to continue the ribbing and weathering of the wing surfaces, this time with pigment... and on and on and...

I probably won't need the C&C Dolphin book, as I'll have your build log as a major reference. Thanks for the lead!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »
Bud:

HAH!! I'm now not as far along as I was four hours ago! One read-through of your build log and I'm:

a. drilling out the hole for the fuel tank filler,
b. clearing holes in the front of both fuselage halves,
c. Stripping out the woodwork on the inside of the fuselage halves,
4. preparing to do yet another paint job inside the fuselage halves,
5. checking out tubing to make the filler tube to the fuel tank,
6. Preparing to continue the ribbing and weathering of the wing surfaces, this time with pigment... and on and on and...

Sorry.   :-[
(Nah.  Not really.  Always glad to help.)  ;)
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 11:00:03 AM »
Hey, Bud,

Glad to get a look at your build log. Excellent photos and comments, and I'll be using it as a guide for my build. Many thanks!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 03:13:51 AM »
Hi, All,

I've had a good look at Bud's build log, and it looks to be a very good reference. I've stepped back a ways and am now in the process of "getting it right! I brushed Pledge over the interior of the fuselage/cockpit, then fitted two sections of home-printed plywood decals to the forward portion of each part. Then, using the white metal (framing) as a pattern, I cut two sections of Aviattic CDL printed on a white background. These are now fitted behind the plywood panels with a vertical frame covering the join line. Next, slightly thinned Vallejo matt varnish lightly brushed over the interior and left to dry. A second coat is recommended (by the label) but I’ll see what it looks like in 3.5 hours! Then I fitted the frame and repaired a few scratches using the tried-and-true “Tamiya-XF59-woodgrained-with-Burnt-Sienna-oil-paint” technique. At the same time I woodgrained a plywood panel that will fit under the engine along with two “heel boards” (?) that run forward over the plywood panel: something of a footrest, I think, fitted because of the pilot’s elevated position in the fuselage. Hey, Bud’s got them so I’ll get them as well! <G>

Seat, floor, fuel tank, heel board (to be measured out and cut in two) and plywood panel all in evidence. Nice to have some expert guidance. Thx, Bud!  ;)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 04:40:33 AM »
If it helps I can send you the PE from our new Sopwith Dolphin project)when first PE frets will be ready)

Hi, Edgar,

Yes, that would be excellent. Please let me know when the frets are ready and we can make the mailing and payment arrangements.  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 06:15:12 AM »
Your interior is looking outstanding! Very nice work on the ply decals and the rest of the wood and fabric interior! I am certainly looking forward to seeing the next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 06:23:36 AM »
    Looking mighty fine, Gary. the plywood and CDL additions to the interior set it off beautifully. You've got a winner coming along here!
Cheers,
Lance