Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Albatros D-I Modified to Prototype  (Read 8907 times)

Offline radio

Re: Roden 1/32 Albatros D-I Modified to Prototype
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2014, 12:35:29 AM »
Wounderful painting Dan.
Martin

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2014, 01:42:51 AM »
Thanks, everyone.  I do like this model and making it a prototype makes it a bit different.  PLUS...I could always get another D-I and finish it as a production machine...then get a D-II....a D-III etc.  ::) ::)

I'm afraid the Albatros series is my favorite.

Wood:  Let's see...I primed with Tamyia fine grey primer and then painted a light shade of beige.  I then sprayed it with "Future" to protect it.  Then I masked off individual panel areas and splotched on burnt sienna oils with an old brush and smoothed it with a paper towel and a long soft brush.  Masking the panels became more difficult since things weren't dry, but it all turned out.  I tried to leave different amounts of oil paint on different panels for variety.  I also did the WNW trick of brushing and scrubbing the paint in different directions on different panels.  That's all pretty standard I think...

The problem was that these planes showed lots of knots in the paneling.  So I experimented and ended up adding tiny (really small...tip of 000 paintbrush-small) dots of straight burnt sienna.  Then, I used a really soft long-haired brush to ever-so-gently tug and pull the spot in a planned direction.  This also faded it in a bit and made it look sort of like a knot.  The cool thing was that if I went overboard and they disappeared, I can simply try again.  For those in the US (maybe elsewhere?) this technique is like the old "Happy Painting" with William Alexander and, later, Bob Ross...when they used a very light touch to blend and move water to make reflections while pulling tree lines and mountains into a glassy-smooth lake.  Pretty cool stuff.

Lastly, I oversprayed with Future tinted with a TINY bit of Tamyia clear orange.  It actually didn't tint too much and bits of the orange shot out at times, but it still looks ok.  Most of my wood treatments use straight clear orange and I think that looks pretty great...but the shots I saw of this plane suggest it was really light.  In fact, I think my final color is still too brown but it will pass.

Anyway, I hope this long discussion isn't too boring and explained a bit how I did the wood.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  :)

More soon,

Dan 

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »
Hello All,

A bit more tonight.  I put the bottom wings on, the rudder and painted the rest of the metal fittings.  I also made the turnbuckles and started rigging with the landing wires.  Slow but steady!

I'll put on the top wing rigging points and then start cementing the top wing in place...then the rest of the rigging  ;D

More soon...

Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »
I really like your wood effect on this build Dan , outstanding ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline radio

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2014, 12:16:18 AM »
Looks realy very good.
Martin

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »
Thanks, Martin and Terri.  Much appreciated.  Terri...see the previous (I think) post about how I did the wood.  Kind of an experiment for me trying to replicate wood knots.  ::)

Cheers,

Dan

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2014, 08:12:12 PM »
Great work on the turnbuckles and metal fittings, Dan!  Your
woodwork on the fuselage looks just terrific.  I'm looking
forward to the next updates.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2014, 11:58:01 PM »
    Just came back for an update, Dan, and She's looking very good. The details and metal fasteners are coming along beautifully, looking forward to more 8)
Cheers,
Lance

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2014, 08:29:07 AM »
Got the top wing on!  Straight as can be.  Really easy to attach owing to that lovely cabane (Though I didn't use their attachment points since that would have given it too much stagger...I think). 

Just need to finish rigging and it will be nice and secure.   ;) :D

Thanks for looking,

Dan
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:19:07 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline radio

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2014, 08:34:56 AM »
It is a beatiful work Dan.
Martin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
The pylon cabane arrangement does make things easy as I mentioned before. As for the Stagger, it was adjustable so I used the kit supplied locations and it came out fine! Yours looks fantastic all around!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2014, 11:49:40 AM »
Thanks, Guys...I love this little kit!

RAG:  I do see that the upper wing was adjustable.  What I was struggling with is that I can't tell if the prototype had the same amount of stagger as the production machines...in the photos I see the interplanes almost appear to be perpendicular with the wing surfaces...so that's what I was worried about.  I just set the top wing as far back as I could and it looks ok!

Thanks again for the time and responses.

Happy Saturday/Sunday!

Dan

Off topic...my wife and children just flew off to Minnesota so I'm at home alone building and watching movies.  I just finished watching "Das Boot".  I loved it when I saw in 1981 and I love it even more.  What a great movie.  Now I need to find a "Great War" movie for tonight!  ;) ;)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
So far Dan this has been an outstanding project to follow a long !  ;D

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »
the albie d type that started all the fuss. very nice work man. have you started on the exhaust yet?

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »
Dan,

This is really coming along nicely now - a really good project of yours to follow.  I think the light tone wood effect and linen colour for the flying surfaces is spot on.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?