Author Topic: Etching masking tape?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline stefanbuss

Etching masking tape?
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »
Dear Friends,

here are two photos of my current DFW. The wings were masked for about three weeks to work on the walkways. I know, three weeks is rather long, but i have to use a room without heating for my airbrushing jobs, and even yesterday, it being a rather warmish day, it was challenging to airbrush at +4°C...

Anyway, removing the masking tape (which was a Tamiya one, no cheap replacements), i discovered those rather canyon-like marks on the wing. i assume this was caused by the masking tape itself, but i would like to understand the causes.

The wings' undersides were masked as well for painting some hatches, there are no issues at all.

If this was caused by the masking tape, why did this happen only at the areas i have highlighted for your viewing pleasure? The masking tape had bee applied to the full wing...What has happened here, and why?

Right wing

Left wing

Ideas, anyone?

Stefan

Kai

Re: Etching masking tape?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:44:02 PM »
Was the same paint on the underside?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:47:15 PM »
Erm, what kind of paint are you using and what are you thinning it with?

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 02:43:37 AM »
On top: Gunze paint, thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinner (white cap).
Below: Vallejo Air, thinned with Vallejo Thinner.

The damage looks melted, rather than lifted by tape.
Exactly.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 02:50:39 AM »
Well, you are getting a lot of orange peel, so I would be suspicious of the Tamiya thinner with the Gunze acrylic -- it's either not thinned correctly or you are spraying at too low a pressure. It could be that the thinner and the paint are not actually completely mixing and you are getting droplets of pure thinner that are then seeping under the tape? Just a theory.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:02:40 AM »
... you are getting droplets of pure thinner that are then seeping under the tape? Just a theory.
Yep.  My theory, as well.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence