Author Topic: Friedrichshafen FF.33L CHFT + Zeebrügge Rail Car  (Read 19665 times)

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
Re: Friedrichshafen FF.33L CHFT + Zeebrügge Rail Car
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2021, 04:20:30 PM »
I'm very much enjoying following this build, Kent. Great research and attention to detail. Love the paintwork!
Cheers,
Gary

Thank you Gary, I'm enjoying it too - I love the 'detective' part  :)

Kent

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2021, 08:29:17 PM »
Wow, Kent. What a great pleasure to watch this build. So much research and improvements. All these little details. Wonderful!
Bye Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2021, 09:42:33 PM »
I've been following along and I must say its been quite entertaining to watch your detective work.  You've come up with some great reference photos.

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2021, 06:28:22 PM »
The reference pics you're showing are great Kant. Great research you did here. This is (as the others already said) a really enjoyable build.

Offline kkarlsen

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2021, 05:35:58 AM »
I've been following along and I must say its been quite entertaining to watch your detective work.  You've come up with some great reference photos.

The reference pics you're showing are great Kant. Great research you did here. This is (as the others already said) a really enjoyable build.

Wow, Kent. What a great pleasure to watch this build. So much research and improvements. All these little details. Wonderful!
Bye Manni

Thank you Gent's! I appreciate you are 'tagging' along - It's turning out to be the same story as usual...
I decided to built the kit out of the box and now I find myself rebuilding, scratching and 'hacking'  my way through this kit!!

Now I'm using the time waiting for the Hex decals to do something about some of the issues with the floats...

Doesn't look like much, but the 'nose' has been widened to make it less pointed.
They have also been shortened to get the right shape of the front.

Found this photo of the construction of Friedrichshafen floats, showing the 'step's
and the reason why the 'stringers' are placed where they are.

The bottom has been fitted with new 'stringers' and i have created the sharp steps of the floats.

The fuselage is coming along, with some minor altercations to fit the MN 1247.
The forward engine 'ventilation? has been removed, those in the back have been 'opened' to an earlier version.

Four small vents have been added to the front of the cowling.
The propeller and the spinner have been painted.
I've also started on scratching the converted radiator of the CHFT version.

The tail part have been cleaned up, preshaded and fitted with brass rods to have better control for fitting.

Cockpit coaming done and the ring from the HB W.29 has been fitted to fit the new observers seat.

Cheers: Kent

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2021, 08:58:50 AM »
Great work, Kent. And special thanks for your heads-up and corrections of the floats. I have just made the same to the steps on mine.😉
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2021, 12:56:45 PM »
That is some really impressive work Kent . I do like how the floats turned out with the added missing details . The floats in my project aren't correct in shape or details and require more work . Also like your pershading for the fabric areas , just the right amount  :)

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kkarlsen

« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2021, 04:05:21 AM »
Great work, Kent. And special thanks for your heads-up and corrections of the floats. I have just made the same to the steps on mine.😉

That is some really impressive work Kent . I do like how the floats turned out with the added missing details . The floats in my project aren't correct in shape or details and require more work . Also like your pershading for the fabric areas , just the right amount  :)

Alexis

Thank you Przl & Alexis!!

I just came upon another 'anomaly' looking at the aerial photo of the CHFT MN 1263 and it it suddenly struck me
that the tail plane and elevators are different?

So I've been digging a bit, and the Herris Friedrichshafen book actually has this noted in the production numbers
as a 'revised tail'.

From the production batch of january 1917 MN No's 1158-1177 the revised tail was introduced.
This unfortunately leaves not many FF.33L's with the early production tail, only around approx.
40 FF.33L's were produced from september to december 1916 up until Marine Number 1126

Now if the production list in the Herris' book can be trusted? 20 of them were C2MG (Pilot fixed gun)
and 20 were CHFT (Wireless transmitter and receiver) this leaves none with the configuration of the kit
which has no fixed gun nor the wireless  :(

Sorry but that's the facts of the production list by Herris?

Kent

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2021, 10:01:37 PM »
The pre shading turned out fantastic Kent! Your work on the floats is also first class as always. Interesting details you are digging up. Sounds like some conversion work lies ahead in your build?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2021, 10:11:32 PM »
Well that sucks in ways Kent . I didn't even notice the difference before hand until now going back at looking at the photo's post and the kit parts .

Are you going to make the new tail parts or leave as is ? Most notiable difference is the rudder and fin . Wish I could help you with answer in regards to Herris info being in error ...it could be type O's happen and items get missed on the editing . But I don't think that is the case .

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kkarlsen

« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2021, 04:35:42 AM »
The pre shading turned out fantastic Kent! Your work on the floats is also first class as always. Interesting details you are digging up. Sounds like some conversion work lies ahead in your build?
RAGIII

Well that sucks in ways Kent . I didn't even notice the difference before hand until now going back at looking at the photo's post and the kit parts .

Are you going to make the new tail parts or leave as is ? Most notiable difference is the rudder and fin . Wish I could help you with answer in regards to Herris info being in error ...it could be type O's happen and items get missed on the editing . But I don't think that is the case .

Alexis

Yeah well it's all part of the process. 'God forbid' building a kit OOB...

So on to the 'surgery' - Superimposing the different tails on top of each other, Doesn't look too bad.

No trouble at all, fortunately the new shape is not too far from the kit tail planes and smaller  ;)

A little progress on the floats...

I've replaced the struts with massive brass ones drilled far into the floats.
Thats the way I'm used to do my scratched floats, adds a lot of 'rigidness' to the structure.

Cheers: Kent
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 04:41:03 AM by kkarlsen »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2021, 06:05:29 AM »
You made the tail plane conversion look easy Kent! The floats are also looking fantastic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2021, 06:23:22 AM »
Fantastic work on the tail planes , nice easy fix and far better then having to cut new one form sheet stock . Love the floats !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Monty

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2021, 05:25:08 AM »
There is great progress on this pretty unique masterpiece, Karl! Your research photos are pure inspiration and you show us some great techniques and effects... I'm watching with rapt attention! Regards, Marc.