Poll

Do you have a favorite scale? If so what is your preferred scale?

1:32
31 (54.4%)
1:48
17 (29.8%)
1:72
8 (14%)
Other (please explain)
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Scale  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: What's Your Favorite Scale
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 11:58:23 PM »
I like 1/32 for WWI aircraft and 1/48 for WWII and modern aircraft, 1/35 for AFVs, and 1/24 for cars. It sure doesn't make a lot of sense, but there it is!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Online petrov27

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 12:05:53 AM »
I started with 1/72 years ago as that was pretty much all that was readily available to me - Revell, Airfix, Pegasus, I even sent away for several Czechmasters kits that took forever to arrive but wow they were cool.

Then Dragon released several nice 1/48 kits, Eduard also so I moved up to that scale due to the additional detail possibilities, ease to rig, etc.

Then Roden started releasing 1/32nd scale kits - about the time they released the N28 (their fourth or fifth kit?) I decided to switch entirely to that scale and sold off the 1/48 collection

That WNW showed up and started their avalanche of kits was a very pleasant surprise
-Patrick

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 12:32:25 AM »
I'm with you on this one Chris.  I like 1/48 for WWII, 1/32 for WWI and 1/35 for AFVs.  I guess it's something about the overall size of the prototypes when scaled down.  In most instances, a 1/32 WWI fighter, a 1/48 WWII fighter or an AFV will each take up about the same amount of shelf space (with certain obvious exceptions).  Those sizes just feel comfortable to me.

Regards,

Bob   

Offline sobrien

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »
I started out long ago(1966) with 1/72. It had the largest variety and was inexpensive and took up less shelf space. When I started earning money at about the age of ten, I probably built at least one a week. I built mostly WWII, but have always had a soft spot for biplanes, so I built all the WWI kits available too. Of course there were a few box scale Revell ships in there. Oh, and the 1/28 Camel, SPAD, and Dr.1. In high school I built 1/35 and 1/32 scale armored vehicles but aircraft were still 1/72. About 15 years ago I started building 1/48. I could spend more time, it was easier to rig, and I wasn't building at the same rate. Now I was building WWI and between war with an occasional foray into WWII and god forbid, a jet or 2. With the coming of Roden and WNW( and age), I build in 1/32. The kits are more accurate and I get to learn new skills which keeps each successive build interesting. Plus I have great inspiration from the owner of this site and all of it's members.

Sean

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 03:38:25 AM »
I'm with you on this one Chris.  I like 1/48 for WWII, 1/32 for WWI and 1/35 for AFVs.  I guess it's something about the overall size of the prototypes when scaled down.  In most instances, a 1/32 WWI fighter, a 1/48 WWII fighter or an AFV will each take up about the same amount of shelf space (with certain obvious exceptions).  Those sizes just feel comfortable to me.

Regards,

Bob   

Exactly my thoughts, but you knew how to write it!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline IanB

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 12:47:58 PM »
I do have an Airfix 1:24 Stuka... I'm hoping they'll be really simple due to the large scale....

Ian

That kit is perhaps the best kit ever made (bold claim, I know). Despite being older than the hills everything fits like a WnW kit, it's reasonably well detailed out of the box, and hey, has there ever been a more beautifully ugly aircraft? Build it, it is pure pleasure (pick up a set of pe seatbelts if you don't want to make your own and a copy of the old Airfix book that went with it if you want to go a little AMS on it).

RB, I already have the book, seatbelts, cockpit instrument decals and metal MG17s for the wings, still looking for MG 15 for the rear gunner. I'm definitely looking forward to building this one! I close on my new house on Jan 14th and once I get set up this will be at the top of my to do list!

Ian

Offline Softscience

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »
I go with 1/72 for most of my aircraft. Armor gets split about evenly between 1/72 and 1/35. 

But having built a few kits in 1/32, I'm liking that more and more. It's just too bad I can't house a sizable collection of them.

mike in calif

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »
Always 1/32, and 1/28.
 I have a Lanc, and PBY in 1/48th, and for some odd reason want to collect all the Otaki 1/48 fighters, but WNW and Roden fill the shelves here.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 03:22:12 AM »
I hear you Mike!  I've got a few of the Otaki 1/48 fighters, and have always liked them.  Maybe it was the pretty good box art, or the fact that they produced some aircraft, particularly Japanese, that were not made by the other manufacturers at that time in 1/48.  The Oscar was always one of my favorites, and also the Aleutian P-40 (perhaps it was just the novelty of a non-AVG paint scheme!). ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 05:47:27 AM »
I can't say I really have a favourite scale, so voted for 'other'. I do like to keep groups of models in the same scale, but other than that just go with whatever the nicest/most interesting kits are.

WnW makes it easy to choose a lot of 1/32 kits though :)

mike in calif

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 01:58:24 AM »
Bob, not to get to far off topic: I like the Aarii/otaki stuff as it is from the 70s, has delicate recessed panel lines, art work in the box, and lots of decals. You can add just a little to the kit, and turn out a nice model- for around 10.$ US. The last few years have seen an explosion in 1/32 similar to what the smaller scale guys have had for years, and I'm loving it.
 Lone Star Models is working up some resin bits for the old Hasegawa yellow wings kits as well. Again, I'm loving it!

Dekenba

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 05:17:38 AM »
1/16 as well Mike....?

mike in calif

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »
Well, you caught me out Dean. I have a few 1/16 kits, and lately added the 1/8 Camel to go with my Tripe. Those are for when my eyes really start to go....

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 01:59:34 AM »
Hi All

A bit late to join the fun but ....

Some time ago I went through a crisis and found it impossible to finish any modelling project, probably from fear of getting something wrong. Part of the rehab. - apart from brilliant modelling advice Des -  came from metaphorically throwing together a 1/72 Camel just as I had when a child. No sanding, no detailing etc. The goal was just to finish it and it would then get put into the back of a cupboard.  What immediately struck me was how tiny it was.

I'm a sucker for the wonderful Wingnut Wings models, even if all those purchased have yet to be built. But having almost finished a Roden 1/32 Sopwith triplane, by way of rehearsal, I'm almost overwhelmed by the size. So how on earth will I cope with the Gotha?

Looking at the display cabinet with eight or nine Eduard/Roden 1/48 Great War aircraft  I'm much struck by their seeming to be the right sort of size for display and are just manageable with my clumsy old fingers. Even that Camel sized gap in the cabinet is not too far off being filled. So, it looks like 1/48 for me even if I will just carry on buying  Wingnut Wings as often as I can.

Which brings two questions.

First have Eduard now abandoned the idea of any completely new models from the Great War?

Is there any hope that Eduard would update/replace their old Sopwith Triplane?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 07:34:21 AM »
Hi Red Baron

Do the Eduard Sopwith Triplanes come up for sale very often? I'd love to get hold of one.

Best wishes
Nigel