Author Topic: Camel and Nieuport from Academy  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Camel and Nieuport from Academy
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 02:27:51 PM »
I purchased the Tom's Model Works Nieuport PE set some time ago, this is what I received;

I only paid $10 for th set so I suppose for the price it is not bad, most of the set will be able to be used.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline petrov27

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 03:13:17 AM »
As noted decals are not bad:

Roundels have strange darker red ring around the outside:
-Patrick

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 03:36:16 AM »
Darker red ring is no doubt an artifact of trapping the red over white...

Online RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 03:54:54 AM »
The decals look pretty good and probably almost worth the price of the kit.... providing they adhere well  ;) As for that darker ring on the red, well the sign painter went over the edge a few times to make sure all was even  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 07:06:31 AM »
In addition there is the Master Castors Nieuport 17 super detail set.

I bought the Master Castors Set and was sorely disappointed in the set.  I was expecting better quality control than what I got.  The seat was badly misshapen, the control rods were covered in flash.  I sent the guy an email, he responded in kind, so I sent photo's of the parts as I had received them, I never heard back from him.  Some of the interior parts are useful, and if they had arrived as they appear on his website I would have been happy, but I was not.  I will have to heat them in water to reshape, which they recommend in their instructions when I get around to doing the Nie.17.  Not slamming the product, but buyer beware.
I may have to pop for each of these kits as I like the markings, but; to many models, so little time.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 07:56:32 AM »
Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the Master Castors set Mark, this is a shame as the product received rave reviews when first launched, this will have a huge impact on their future sales unless they rectify the issues.

Des.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »
Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the Master Castors set Mark, this is a shame as the product received rave reviews when first launched, this will have a huge impact on their future sales unless they rectify the issues.

Des.

Yes this is a shame! I have seen some good builds using this set and if yours/Marks was defective it should have been replaced....IMHO. Des, do you remember that the Master for this was being posted in progress on the Drome before everything blew up,(THANK GOD it did otherwise we probably wouldn't be here), It was a really good thread and a lot was passed back and forth reference ideas. One thing not done by Masters or Lone Star was the recess in the lower fuselage  behind the engine... Hint to Aviattic  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 08:37:27 AM »
I remember very well the discussions being carried out over at the drome with lots of photos of the different items being developed, a lot of people were very keen on seeing the finished set. Lets hope that they see their products the way their customers see them and do something about it.

Des.

Offline gcn

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 04:17:15 PM »
I concur with Marks views on the master casters set, the QC was woeful.

I binned most of it and scratched what I needed

Dekenba

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 06:21:54 PM »
PART of Poland do a huge PE set for the Camel. Very comprehensive, although not all useable as some are just too small for my aging eyesight!

Offline sobrien

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 12:49:20 AM »
Mike West of Lone Star Models makes a resin cockpit set for the Academy/Hobbycraft Nieuport 17. You can see it here http://www.lonestarmodels.com/Conversions-1-32.html

Sean

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 02:37:17 AM »
What's needed for the Nieuport is a masking set for the roundels.  I was looking into this for my various Nieuport 11-17-24 and 28 kits.

One advantage is with a standard set for the 11 - 17  & 24, is that they had the same size cockades on the wings and with stencils, you can do British, French and Belgian.  Set should have wing cockades in French proportions and fuselage in British and the center portion of the rudder ( you can add tape to either side).

I was planning to contact Miracle Mask for my stash.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:37:37 AM by Captain Slower »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 04:12:21 AM »
I have a question on the decals shown above for the Ni.17.  The ads I've seen for the Centenary kit show the box with markings for a Lufbery Lafayette Escadrille machine and a French machine of Rene Dorme, one of the "Pere Dorme" aircraft.  The decals displayed above appear to show markings for Francesco Baracca's Italian aircraft as the alternative to the Lafayette Escadrille machine.  Anybody know what's going on?  Thanks.

Bob

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 07:21:40 AM »
Anybody know what's going on?

Um, dunno, but box top says three marking schemes :)

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 07:53:07 AM »
Outstanding! Thanks Bo. ;D 

Regards,

Bob