Author Topic: Camel and Nieuport from Academy  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Camel and Nieuport from Academy
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:50:38 AM »
Pretty much the same old kits but they have been tweaked a little, one advantage are the new decal options.

Plenty of these kits available on e-Bay at good prices, these are advertised as First World War Centenary.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Camel and Nieuport from Academy
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 09:25:11 AM »
They also come with PE parts !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online petrov27

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
Just received the N17 re-release....

Sadly the photo-etched parts are not much worth mention...

Pilot & squadron decal markings are pretty good, roundels not so much, red and blues shades quite suspect (blue is very dark, red bright)

Still, very cheap for a 1/32nd and the basic shapes are OK...

I know lots of folks are pushing for WNW to do a Camel or DrI but the N17 would be my choice if they are going to redo a kit already done in 1/32 :)
-Patrick

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 11:01:16 AM »
Note the Vickers guns on the Camel model pictured are upside down!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 01:18:30 PM »

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
That's because it's the "Comic" Camel.  he, he ;D
Honor Necessity

Offline gcn

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
Whilst I've no experience of the Camel, the Nieuport builds up into a reasonable aircraft with a bit of fine tuning. For the money it is excellent value.

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »

Nah it's not because it's the comic it's because it was an Australian issue ! ;)

Cheers
Andrew
Austria (no kangaroos)
Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
That's because it's the "Comic" Camel.  he, he ;D

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »
I built this kit some time ago, build log here  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page32.html  and I found it to be quite a good kit to build, there was lots of work to do but if you don't mind doing a bit of scratch building and modifying it does turn into a very nice looking model. For very little expense it is well worth the expense, hard to find a 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft kit for under $20 these days.

Des.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »
the machine guns for the hc kits are horrible, the way they molded the vickers especially is upside down if you mount them as instructed. i would suggest getting some gaspatch guns or use spare wnw versions. i saw these too last week. i have a few hc camels and nieuports  both old and new releases so i wont buy the new boxings although i always wanted to do that camel scheme with the playing cards on the lower wings.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »
Just received the N17 re-release....

Sadly the photo-etched parts are not much worth mention...

Pilot & squadron decal markings are pretty good, roundels not so much, red and blues shades quite suspect (blue is very dark, red bright)

Still, very cheap for a 1/32nd and the basic shapes are OK...

I know lots of folks are pushing for WNW to do a Camel or DrI but the N17 would be my choice if they are going to redo a kit already done in 1/32 :)

I like the marking,Would like to do the Lufberry bird someday. As for the PE I would sure like to see a photo even if it is not much worth  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 03:40:31 PM »
Here are two pictures of the PE for the two kits, sorry about the quality of the pictures.

PE for the Camel

PE for the Nieuport

Des.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 08:01:47 AM »
Des, if someone wanted to upgrade the N17, Tom's Modelworks has a much, much better PE for it...pretty reasonable...7.75 US. Also Lone Star Models has an excellent looking cockpit conversion kit for the Academy/Hobbycraft (same, same...somehow) Nieuport. I ordered two of them a few weeks ago but am not worried that I ain't got them yet.... Mike West, the Lone Star guy is the Lone Guy literally.... one man show.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Online RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »
Well, it seems the PE is un-remarkable as stated! Also agree that the Toms set and Lone Star stuff is worth while. In addition there is the Master Castors Nieuport 17 super detail set.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline davecww1

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »
looking at the photoetch for the Nieuport for one, I have not seen a Nieuport 17 with wooden instrument panel and 3 gauges, the only gauges on the Nieuports are bolted to the inner fuselage framework.  Also why they would choose to make the strut reinforcement tapes in photoetched metal is beyond me, I always sand them down when done as plastic molded to the strut as they are fabric tapes doped to the wooden V struts so in this scale should show no thickness.  A decal would be a reasonable scale way to do this but trying to bend the photoetched metal around the airfoil shape and attaching it smoothly sounds to be beyond most mortals.  And the wire or lace that fastens the upper fuselage panel to the sides would be useful, but appears to be very loose, if they were tightened up they would be straight not wavy as shown.
Dave

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »
never seen a nieuport with a control panel. but that camel photoetch looks better than the kit shape control panel.still wrong though. so its the same kits with tiny useless pe frets just to say theres something new. i am more excited about the decals.